Tips on Eating for Day of LSAT [COMPENDIUM]

scifiguy

Tips on Eating for Day of LSAT [COMPENDIUM]

Postby scifiguy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 pm

What is the best advice for eating on the day of the LSAT?

I've heard this so far:

1.) Eat a substantial breakfast, but not too heavy, approximately 2-3 hours before your test time. You should feel full, but not overly full to the point of feeling lethargic/sleepy.

2.) Eat healthy foods, such as fruits, oatmeal, bananas, wheat bagels, etc. and avoid overly fatty or sugary foods (e.g., french fries, hot dogs, candy, etc.).

3.) Don't deviate from your routine when it comes to caffeine (assuming your routine is a reasonable one). If you normally drink coffee, then sure have some if you like. If you do not, then don't all of a sudden on test day drink coffee or a Red Bull, etc. thinking that it will enhance your concentration and performance (it might, but you may not know how you'd react).

The caveat here was that your normal caffeine amt. was "normal" (meaning healthy and non-intefering w/ mental capacity). :P I know there can be some people who drink gallons of coffee (exaggeration, heh heh) to kind of "jack themselves up" for the day. They could be the type that really have difficulty waking up or just having any energy and down an abnormal amount of caffeine to try to jump start their day (which it does, but may make them overly jittery for a while).

4.) Snacking is OK during LSAT breaks, but make sure they are light snacks and not meals. For example, a single banana or granola bar. But not a full meal. And, again, healthy is desired. No chips or soda, etc.

What other tips have you guys heard. What were your own experiences? What worked and what didn't? Feel free to critique my list above as well. Let the advice begin.... :lol:

tuffyjohnson

Re: Tips on Eating for Day of LSAT [COMPENDIUM]

Postby tuffyjohnson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 pm

It's probably a good idea to include some protein and a little fat since those take a little longer to digest thus providing longer lasting fuel. If all you eat is carbs it's likely you'll be hungry quicker and require more snacks/food sooner than later.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 pm

scifiguy wrote:What is the best advice for eating on the day of the LSAT?

I've heard this so far:

1.) Eat a substantial breakfast, but not too heavy, approximately 2-3 hours before your test time. You should feel full, but not overly full to the point of feeling lethargic/sleepy.

2.) Eat healthy foods, such as fruits, oatmeal, bananas, wheat bagels, etc. and avoid overly fatty or sugary foods (e.g., french fries, hot dogs, candy, etc.).

3.) Don't deviate from your routine when it comes to caffeine (assuming your routine is a reasonable one). If you normally drink coffee, then sure have some if you like. If you do not, then don't all of a sudden on test day drink coffee or a Red Bull, etc. thinking that it will enhance your concentration and performance (it might, but you may not know how you'd react).

The caveat here was that your normal caffeine amt. was "normal" (meaning healthy and non-intefering w/ mental capacity). :P I know there can be some people who drink gallons of coffee (exaggeration, heh heh) to kind of "jack themselves up" for the day. They could be the type that really have difficulty waking up or just having any energy and down an abnormal amount of caffeine to try to jump start their day (which it does, but may make them overly jittery for a while).

4.) Snacking is OK during LSAT breaks, but make sure they are light snacks and not meals. For example, a single banana or granola bar. But not a full meal. And, again, healthy is desired. No chips or soda, etc.

What other tips have you guys heard. What were your own experiences? What worked and what didn't? Feel free to critique my list above as well. Let the advice begin.... :lol:

Awesome that you started this thread, I'm curious about advice here.

My advice: don't deviate from your routine. Period. By the time you are taking the real thing, you should have taken many PT's and found what works best for you. Don't have a big breakfast if you are used to PT's on only oatmeal; don't eat nothing if you are used to a big breakfast; etc. etc. etc.

My routine: cup of coffee beforehand, and a bagel with something (egg/cheese; cream cheese, etc.). During the break, sometimes a little more caffeine. I may start drinking a Red Bull during PT's on breaks. I think it will last me the 1.5 hours I need before the crash, and may help a bit. TBD!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

Some good tips here. I did a big post on this a while back:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/ls ... snack.html

Protip: Don't eat a bagel sandwich containing an entire can of tuna fish within 30 minutes of waking up.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Seriously, just don't deviate from what you normally do. But go with the flow. If you eat a giant bagel sandwich every day of the week, but the thought of eating one the morning of the test makes you feel sick, skip it.

I think it's important to try out your caffeine/food/water routine during preptests. Don't drink and/or eat throughout preptests and get used to that routine. Figure out how you're going to feel if, for instance, you drink a bottle of water 30 minutes before the test. Try to take tests in the morning (easier said than done) so you can develop a morning routine that accounts for both your everyday preferences and test day restrictions.

Come test day, just do your best to stick with what you've figured out works, and throw some stuff in your ziploc bag so you can remedy any hunger/thirst/whatever during the break. For me, this meant bringing some beef jerky, poptarts, a canned espresso, and a Red Bull (I should have brought water, but couldn't fit it; imagine my disappointment when the proctors let people have water on their desk during the test). I obviously didn't consume it all during break, but was ready in case I needed a protein, carb, or caffeine fix.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Oh, good lord. You are not running a marathon, crossing the Sahara or orbiting the earth in the Apollo space capsule. You're sitting in a chair, with breaks, for a total of less than four hours of testing. Eat whatever the hell you want, as long as it won't give you indigestion. I had a Starbucks chai and a doughnut. My snack--which I only nibbled on because I was bored, not hungry--was vitamin water, a granola bar and some golden oreos. Worked fine.

Seriously. Your score will not be affected by whether you had organic flaxseed oil in your authentically Irish steel-cut oatmeal or not. Your score will, however, be affected if you are having a neurotic freakout over your oatmeal toppings.

Obviously don't chug an abnormal amount of water or coffee, or you'll have to pee like crazy. It also won't do you any good. (See above: not crossing the sahara.)

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:39 pm

-Don't drink a lot of water.
-Go take a #2 shortly before the test.
-Eat what you normally eat to have a great and happy day.

But, really, don't drink a lot of water. Wanting to use the restroom while taking the test sucks.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Hadn't thought about this until now. I have a sensitive stomach, and the last thing I want is to be rumbling like a semi half-way into the test.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Since the test is 12:30 or 1:00pm, it seems like breakfast should be timed for around 7:45am and with a morning #2 around 11:30. I agree with the no water until the break after three sections.

Can't wait to kill the test on a healthy diet.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:12 am

0913djp wrote:Since the test is 12:30 or 1:00pm, it seems like breakfast should be timed for around 7:45am and with a morning #2 around 11:30. I agree with the no water until the break after three sections.

Can't wait to kill the test on a healthy diet.

I suspect this would work for many people. Just make sure that whatever you eat during your 11:30 meal won't put you in a food coma.

Test out your eating and PT schedule at least once or twice prior to Test Day to see what works best for you.

leighleigh

Postby leighleigh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:55 pm

I definitely recommend NOT eating a lot of refined carbohydrates (e.g., bagels, sugary cereals, "white" breads in general, etc.). Those are great for an hour or so, and then your blood sugar crashes. It's true for everyone. Foods that take longer to digest are much better - for example, as someone already suggested, oatmeal that doesn't have a (relatively) high sugar amount is good. Fiber content is also a good indicator of how quickly something will be digested - higher fiber is always better. I also recommend some fat (particularly monosaturated) and protein along with carbs. If anyone likes Granny Smith apples (like myself), they are awesome for a "wake up." Eat them with some peanut butter, which will give you some fat and protein. In addition to an apple, eat some type of complex carbs.

Blood sugar levels are really important for any day, but especially for test day. You want your brain as "awake" as possible and to prolong hunger for as long as possible.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Some good tips here. I did a big post on this a while back:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/ls ... snack.html

Protip: Don't eat a bagel sandwich containing an entire can of tuna fish within 30 minutes of waking up.

I think a can of tuna sounds horrible that early in the morning, whether you are taking the LSAT or not.

Great blog post by the way. Those are some excellent tips

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Good breakfast foods: Oatmeal, eggs, bananas.

Bad foods: Sugary cereals, bacon, sausage, bagels.

It seems most of nutrition is common sense. I don't eat any fast food anyways (on occasion I'll get a salad at subway or a sandwich at panera, but even at those places you have to be careful with what's healthy and what isn't). I also take vitamins, fish oil, and started drinking a glass of v8 every day for the vegetables. The sodium isn't great but my blood pressure is on the low side anyways, it's also one of the better juices out on the market (the only thing they add besides the salt is citric acid).

I'm also big about natural foods over processed foods, butter>margarine for example, people don't realize how awful those butter substitutes are for you. Also the processed foods and meats where half of it is soy, especially bad if you're a man (http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soy ... ve-effects). When I shop for food and I see a whole bunch of weird ingredients, I won't buy it. Humans can get by quite nicely on fruits, veggies, eggs, and a bit of meat and fish.

Of course, in a country with recipes like these (http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Chocolate- ... ition=2/20), it's no wonder a third of Americans are obese and half are overweight...therefore, 83% of people are above their ideal body weight.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 pm

I tend to have to pee a lot, so I started keeping it light on the fluids the day before.

I also don't function well if I'm not fed, so I ate a protein bar or two before going in and had another at break.

I need caffeine on a daily basis, so I had a small cup a while before in order to be caffeinated but not with excess fluid.

Nothing wrong with loading up on Omega-3s and other brain-food in the weeks leading up to the test. There is something to be said for eating right in conjunction with regular rest and exercise for optimal brain-function.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I made myself a two egg ham and cheese omelet about two hours before the test. Eggs are filling and won't make you feel bloated, and they're a great source of protein. I also brought a cliff bar to the test and had that on break. I wouldn't worry too much, just eat as you normally do and maybe try to avoid caffeine - especially coffee. Coffee will give you the shits.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”