Logical Reasoning Help

steven21

Logical Reasoning Help

Postby steven21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Logical Reasoning Help

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 pm

steven21 wrote:I have read the PS LR Bible, Mahattan LR and drilled through the Cambridge LR Packets. I always thoroughly review making sure I know exactly why each answer is right and why the other answers are wrong. Still missing -13 to -15 on LR. (average -0 to -2 on LG, -5 to -6 on RC, scoring in the lows 160s need to get to 170s by May). How do I get to -0 to -1 on LR by May? Just keep doing questions and reviewing?

I think you need to go back through the books. Missing that number of questions indicates something is conceptually wrong. You need to make sure you really have the key concepts down before you work on drilling more.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 pm

steven21 wrote: I always thoroughly review making sure I know exactly why each answer is right and why the other answers are wrong.

if this is true - stop timing the section, take as long as you need to get a perfect score, measure how long it takes, do it a couple more times, and youll see it'll start to take less time. go incrementally down to ~30 minutes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:59 pm

If you go back through the same section an hour after you're done reviewing it, do you get a perfect score (or close)? If not, I don't think your reviewing is doing what you think it is.

steven21

Postby steven21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 pm

I have gotten close to a perfect scores before doing untimed sections and on timed sections that I have went back and done over agian. The best I have done on a PT timed section is -11 which is also when I have gotten my highest score (167, -11 LR -0 LG -6 RC). But usually I score around -13 to -15 on PT timed LR sections.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 pm

steven21 wrote:I have gotten close to a perfect scores before doing untimed sections and on timed sections that I have went back and done over agian. The best I have done on a PT timed section is -11 which is also when I have gotten my highest score (167, -11 LR -0 LG -6 RC). But usually I score around -13 to -15 on PT timed LR sections.

my advice applies then - good luck and enjoy

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 pm

How long does it take you to finish a LR section that is untimed?

That really could mean two things-

1) You feel the time crunch. Thus, you're rushing things and failing to read the answer choices properly; etc. This is my biggest problem with the LR section right now.

2) You actually don't fully understand the underlying concepts for each question types and you're just brute forcing everything. If this is the case, then it'll take you a lot longer to actually finish a LR section.

You need to thoroughly analyze what kind of questions you're getting wrong, and why you're getting them wrong. Be honest with yourself. Simply reviewing the wrong answers is not enough, because then you're missing WHY you got them wrong. You may have gotten a question wrong because you just plain don't understand the subtleties in that question type; you may have gotten it wrong because you rushed and misread an answer choice; etc, etc.

If you truly, thoroughly understood why you got a question wrong, then for all intents and purposes you shouldn't be getting anymore of them wrong. While the LR section has a huge variance in the way they can ask the question; there are fundamental similarities in the respective question types.

Afaik, 90% of the respective question types have a set styles of passage/answer choices. One example is the percentage thing with flaw questions. When you see a percentage appear in a flaw question, then you should immediately consider that a red flag. If you solve enough LR questions, such things become rather obvious, and they tend to have the same type of answers. The remaining 10% either intentionally subvert what you expect and screw you with it; or they give something that is incredibly obscure, but still fitting into the function of that particular question type. PT 45, S4. Q18 is a great example of this. The correct answer hinges entirely on one fucking word.

So, when you're analyzing a wrong question, you should try to make it a point to try to determine how it fits into the general pattern of that specific question type instead of merely trying to understand that particular question. If you do this, then you won't be able to understand the general idea behind each question type and how it fits into it.

I think you're making the same mistake I did when I initially reviewed questions. I thought I understood why X is Y, but I didn't link it to the general picture. As such, when a similar question showed up I couldn't do it.

Go make an account on LSATQA if you don't have one already and log a couple of your PTs. That way you can tell what kind of questions you're getting wrong and be able to notice basic patterns.

And reread the Manhattan LSAT LR book. Then read it again. I read that thing about four times and I caught something new and exciting every time I read through it.

Oh, and be able to just know what a question type is based off the why the question is asked. You see something that says "the reasoning... blah blah... is most subject to criticism on the grounds that the argument is", and you should immediately think FLAW. I didn't think it was important when I first heard it from people; but everything just got easier once I was able to do this. It really changes the way you look at each question, because you know what to look for in that particular question type. You're no longer looking at it in a general PoV, but rather looking for specific things you know commonly appear.
Last edited by magickware on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm

tagging for future reference

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”