So what constitutes studying?

MiracleNeeded

So what constitutes studying?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I've been trying to log in 4 hours per day, but of what? It was easy to convince myself I was studying when I was reading the bibles or the manhattan books. Ad I still have a few to read on other parts of the test, but when you're done with the books, when you've learned to diagram, learn to attack games or questions or whatever, what are you left with?

Does sitting and reading the WSJ for an hour to improve your RC count as one hour of study, or am I just kidding myself? I don't feel like doing 4 hours a day everyday of full length games and reviews of those games, it get tedious and may have diminishing returns. I believe in the MED approach to things like this, the minimum effective dose because anything more makes you perform at less than peak.
Last edited by MiracleNeeded on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: So what constitutes studying?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm

I keep track of the hours I spend studying. The time that I include as studying is spent reading prep books, drilling questions, and taking preptests. I don't think of stuff like browsing TLS or LSAT blogs for tips as studying. I don't personally do extracurricular reading to prep for RC (I think it's better to do actual RC sections), but if I did, it'd fall under the category of TLS/LSAT blog reading- extracurricular stuff that still contributes to my prepping.

I think what constitutes studying isn't that important at the end of the day though; all that really matters is that when you're studying, that's all you're doing. Twenty minutes spent flipping through prep books while waiting for the bus doesn't get me as far as twenty minutes where I force myself to sit down and focus on only prepping.

You aren't always going to see immediate returns, but all of the time you spend putting into this test will help you in the long run. If it didn't occasionally get tedious, everyone would study 24/7 and have a 170+ score. You've got to remind yourself why you're studying, consider whether the activity you are currently doing is, in fact, contributing to that goal, and if so, just keep going.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”