Velocity for LR and RC

mvonh001

Velocity for LR and RC

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 am

I have a question about velocity. I have just now found out about it (late, i know), but I'm very interested in using them for the June LSAT. I am currently testing around ~163 (my first was 155, but my next was 168, and my 3rd was 164). I am having the most difficulty with LR and RC. I could take Velocity now for June and be happy with my score or retake velocity again (idk how effective that actually is) if i needed to retake in October. Or i can continue to self study with cambridge and drilling (i admittedly dont review my wrong answers and feel watching videos explaining why each answer is right or wrong may help me) and take it in June, then sign up for BluePrint and take it in October after Blueprint.... Any suggestions?

My question also has to do with the process of Velocity, do i just watch the videos while following along with their book (online or in print), then take 1 of the 12 practice tests and review it with the video, or should i review it on my own first?

Thanks

EDit: I just watched Blueprints online videos and really prefer Velocitys teaching style and demeanor. How are they as far as LR and RC go?

Malakai

Re: Velocity for LR and RC

Postby Malakai » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 am

mvonh001 wrote:I have a question about velocity. I have just now found out about it (late, i know), but I'm very interested in using them for the June LSAT. I am currently testing around ~163 (my first was 155, but my next was 168, and my 3rd was 164). I am having the most difficulty with LR and RC. I could take Velocity now for June and be happy with my score or retake velocity again (idk how effective that actually is) if i needed to retake in October. Or i can continue to self study with cambridge and drilling (i admittedly dont review my wrong answers and feel watching videos explaining why each answer is right or wrong may help me) and take it in June, then sign up for BluePrint and take it in October after Blueprint.... Any suggestions?

My question also has to do with the process of Velocity, do i just watch the videos while following along with their book (online or in print), then take 1 of the 12 practice tests and review it with the video, or should i review it on my own first?

Thanks

EDit: I just watched Blueprints online videos and really prefer Velocitys teaching style and demeanor. How are they as far as LR and RC go?

Velocity LR and RC is great. Dave's methods and teaching style are done in a way to make it easily understandable for even some of the more-illiterate people that could potentially sign up. As for the process/schedule, once you sign up, the videos are sort of chronological and basically tell you how to proceed with the material. I think there's also some templates/docs of different study schedules (ie: 30 days, 60 day, etc) that you can use on the Velocity website after you've paid the fee.

As for reviewing PT's while going through the material, it would surely be to your benefit to review it on your own (at least for a few of the PT's) to see if you can verbalize your methods and internalize why you got certain answers right or wrong. You can imagine the possibility that, if you had been spoon fed your entire review process up until exam day, there may be a chance that you might not have developed on your own, the proper skills or ability to get past repeating previous mistakes. To illustrate, you can learn and understand the concepts as they are given or taught to you, but to what benefit if you're unable to put it into practice and on your own terms?

Hope this helps.

togepi

Re: Velocity for LR and RC

Postby togepi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:29 am

It's solid all around, although I think Velocity's LG is the strongest. I really liked Dave's laid back, rest-assured type of teaching. Sometimes his hair is messed up and looks like he doesn't give a shit about his appearance. That kind of makes it seem less formal, which helped me relax and feel comfortable with the material.

Velocity will definitely help you take apart the various LR questions, especially parallel and assumption questions. It greatly helped me understand conditional logic, which PowerScore failed at for me. As far as RC is concerned, I feel that's the part where you can't improve that much on. I personally have always sucked at RC for standardized tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”