Is a prep course neccessary?

mlansky

Re: Is a prep course neccessary?

Postby mlansky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 am

From what I've gathered by testimonials of people who have done prep courses, the biggest advantage they offer is making you motivated to work and dedicate a part of your life to studying for this beast.

If you can motivate yourself to spend a few hours a day for the next 6 months, you can get a 90th percentile score (if not better).

If I were you, I'd spend the next month taking a PT every week, spending 10-20 hours each week going through a book (I did PowerScore first, but ask around and you'll get recommendations for them and Manhattan both) enter them into LSATQA to see what your strong points and weak points are, lurk TLS when you're bored, and then at the end of the month you'll have some data with which to formulate a plan.

If, at the end of two months, you haven't seen an improvement in your score, then maybe a prep course is worth it, but definitely not before that.

Just my two cents.

dubster101

Postby dubster101 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Agree with most other posters. Prep course is good if you aren't disciplined/structured enough to create a study plan that you can follow through on. That said, if you are disciplined enough to manage your time wisely between now and test date, I definitely recommend self study. The problem with the course(s) are that you usually move at the pace of the slowest person(s), and unless you are one of those people, you're being held back.

Personally, I am finding bibles + mlsat & 50 PT's to be plenty of material with the help of lsatqa to track data.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sat May 04, 2013 4:39 pm

mlansky wrote:From what I've gathered by testimonials of people who have done prep courses, the biggest advantage they offer is making you motivated to work and dedicate a part of your life to studying for this beast.

If you can motivate yourself to spend a few hours a day for the next 6 months, you can get a 90th percentile score (if not better).

If I were you, I'd spend the next month taking a PT every week, spending 10-20 hours each week going through a book (I did PowerScore first, but ask around and you'll get recommendations for them and Manhattan both) enter them into LSATQA to see what your strong points and weak points are, lurk TLS when you're bored, and then at the end of the month you'll have some data with which to formulate a plan.

If, at the end of two months, you haven't seen an improvement in your score, then maybe a prep course is worth it, but definitely not before that.

Just my two cents.

Thank you for the input. I'm currently going through the LGB and am drilling after I complete each section

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 pm

No

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”