Does/Did the timing aspect for the LSAT correct itself?

Squintz805

Does/Did the timing aspect for the LSAT correct itself?

Postby Squintz805 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

After a month of PTing I'm having tremendous improvement with time. Now, it takes me roughly 40 minutes to complete each section at my preferred pace - answering just as many correct as I did when i first started (which was then about 50-60 minutes per section).

With that being said and with 2 months before the June LSAT - should I be more concerned with getting my time down to 35 minutes per section or working out the kinks with the answer choices I still get incorrect?

My hope is that by eliminating my weaknesses and constantly completing and reviewing PT's my timing issue for the LSAT will correct itself. Does this seem accurate?

Any feedback or critiques would be greatly appreciated!

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: Does/Did the timing aspect for the LSAT correct itself?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Accuracy should always be the priority, but yes you definitely want to start trimming your section times down. I would be sure you can consistently get in under 32:00 before test day. If just to settle your nerves for the real thing.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 am

That is great to hear my friend. Thanks a bunch for the response.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 am

if you are going for a score in the 170s -
definitely work out all the kinks first. take as much time as you need to score (as close as possible to) a 180, then start cutting it down gradually to a goal of 30 minutes per section. the trick is to train your mind to do all the questions RIGHT first, before training to do them FAST. 2 months is plenty of time, especially if you are doing multiple prep tests per week.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am

seems like you have enough time to bring your averages down before June. I agree that you should be shooting for 30 minutes/section so you have time to review. this also is a huge confidence boost, and even 30 seconds of 'rest' time before beginning a new section is super helpful for mental stamina.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 am

Pneumonia wrote:seems like you have enough time to bring your averages down before June. I agree that you should be shooting for 30 minutes/section so you have time to review. this also is a huge confidence boost, and even 30 seconds of 'rest' time before beginning a new section is super helpful for mental stamina.

This can't be stressed enough. If you have a bit of time before starting a new section, you can re-center yourself. If you're rushing to finish, you're going to be stressed out when you start the next section.

To OP - you definitely have plenty of time to get your average section time down to an acceptable level.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks to everyones post above. Really helpful pointers.

So my last 2 PT's I've missed around 6-7 on each LR section having it take me about 38-40 minutes to complete and miss around 4-6 on RC taking me about 55 minutes. LG is not an issue for me - I usually miss 0-3 in ~35 minutes each time.

So the goal for the future - stay consistent with trying to decrease my time, while my priority being to eliminate my weaknesses in LR and RC. When its about a month away, I'll really start trying to grind down my time with the hopes of having my weaknesses eliminated.

Thanks again everyone for the advice, and feel free to keep em coming with any pointers.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 am

Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 am

To the above post. Great analogy on the sprinter, this is the exact idea Im going forward with.

I tried the 'reversing the 3rd and 4th fold' technique on my first LR section yesterday, and idk if it was just something messing with my flow or the PT, but it ended up taking me 42 minutes to complete the section and I missed -7 (most of which on the 3rd fold). As for the 2nd LR Section, I completed it in 38 minutes and missed -1 (woo! haha).

Anyways, just posting my results on that technique and will probably try it on the next few tests just to see if it was my mind losing the natural order of things, the test, or whatever the case may be. I see LR becoming my only issue for test day and want that gone by June

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 am

Squintz805 wrote:To the above post. Great analogy on the sprinter, this is the exact idea Im going forward with.

I tried the 'reversing the 3rd and 4th fold' technique on my first LR section yesterday, and idk if it was just something messing with my flow or the PT, but it ended up taking me 42 minutes to complete the section and I missed -7 (most of which on the 3rd fold). As for the 2nd LR Section, I completed it in 38 minutes and missed -1 (woo! haha).

Anyways, just posting my results on that technique and will probably try it on the next few tests just to see if it was my mind losing the natural order of things, the test, or whatever the case may be. I see LR becoming my only issue for test day and want that gone by June

Dude, do not worry about timing, I promise it will get there. Just become accurate, and eventually, you will less analyzing of each question on LR, and more recognizing. To elaborate, you will quickly spot the type of question it is without having to analyze in the way you used to, and as such, you will look for the weakness in that type of argument. What used to take you 15 seconds to read and 45 to 60 seconds to analyze, will not take you 15 seconds to read and another 15 seconds to recognize the weakness and bubble.

Also, when you grade your exam, mare every missed LR question by type. So if you got 5 wrong, and know 4 were necessary assumption questions, then you know which area's you need to work on. If you only know you average 5-6 wrong on LR then you really wont be able to improve those 5-6. However, if you know that typically 3 of those 5-6 are nec. assumption q's, then you know where you are weak, and I bet that those random 1 - 2 are questions within that third fold (q's 15-20).

You will get used to skipping straight to the fourth fold. There is no reason why it wouldn't help, the third fold are the hardest and thus the longest questions to complete. Given that all q's are worth the same, focus on the easier questions first and leave the third fold last.

One last tip -- when May comes, go straight into PT mode and lose the books. PT x 3 a week and the other days you break down that exam question by question. Cut out the ones you missed on LR and staple them all together. Label them by type and go through them when your bored, tired, at dinner, wherever. You will identify your weaknesses and know which question types you need work on. Only refer back to the books to refer to the sections pertaining to your weaknesses and study them on you off-pt days. Re-read those chapters slowly and you'll notice that you missed a lot on the first time you read it and will quickly address your weakness.

Best of luck!

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. That's great to hear my timing aspect should resolve itself. And 4 out of the 8 I missed on LR on that PT were Necessary Assumptions...seems to be my weakness at the moment

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Squintz805 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. That's great to hear my timing aspect should resolve itself. And 4 out of the 8 I missed on LR on that PT were Necessary Assumptions...seems to be my weakness at the moment

Biggest mix-up is learning the difference sufficient assumptions and necessary ones. Sufficient will prove, and necessary only allows it to be possible.

Re-read the chapter on it, and you can purchase practice packets for specific types of questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”