Velocity LG vs. Manhattan LG

Dr. Dre

Velocity LG vs. Manhattan LG

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

These 2 are the best for LG. So, does Velocity win by a lot or by a little or somewhere in the messy middle?

Clearly

Re: Velocity LG vs. Manhattan LG

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 pm

I've worked through the M book, and the velocity course. Big vote for velocity. That said, I loved the M book, but velocity places a lot of importance on things I feel like no other program drives home enough, like efficient use of prior work. That said, I used some manhattan techniques mixed in as well.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I've worked through the M book, and the velocity course. Big vote for velocity. That said, I loved the M book, but velocity places a lot of importance on things I feel like no other program drives home enough, like efficient use of prior work. That said, I used some manhattan techniques mixed in as well.

If Velocity drives home this point, then I believe it is leaps and bounds ahead of Manhattan. As a STEM type that intuitively pulled information from prior questions to answer new questions, this is something that Manhattan does not emphasize nearly enough. You can have the most detailed diagrams, but, your efficiency won't maximize if you don't realize sometimes you won't even need a diagram. I am a big fan of taking the 2-3 mins it takes to draw up a couple of hypos in the beginning of a game. From those 2-3 hypos, you are often able to answer every LG question with relative ease.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 am

armedwithamind wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:I've worked through the M book, and the velocity course. Big vote for velocity. That said, I loved the M book, but velocity places a lot of importance on things I feel like no other program drives home enough, like efficient use of prior work. That said, I used some manhattan techniques mixed in as well.

If Velocity drives home this point, then I believe it is leaps and bounds ahead of Manhattan. As a STEM type that intuitively pulled information from prior questions to answer new questions, this is something that Manhattan does not emphasize nearly enough. You can have the most detailed diagrams, but, your efficiency won't maximize if you don't realize sometimes you won't even need a diagram. I am a big fan of taking the 2-3 mins it takes to draw up a couple of hypos in the beginning of a game. From those 2-3 hypos, you are often able to answer every LG question with relative ease.

It's essentially the main point of velocity. He walks you through games and makes you realize how little work you needed to do if you just did the questions in the right order, and kept your data legible and organized.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 am

+1 vote for velocity

A big thing about LG is just being systematic and not overthinking it. I thought Velocity LG + drilling games and reviewing with 7sage videos helped me alot and turned my weakest section into my strongest.

I used Manhattan's 2nd edition LG and didn't find it helpful except for their open board is great for tackling this extinct game type (repairing VCRs, cars with sunroofs, etc). I hear the 3rd edition improved a lot tho.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 am

Velocity helped me a lot with structure for LGs and I got a lot better with them. Since I was an engineering major, LGs came pretty naturally, but more of a "winging it" system. When I went through Velocity, it helped me get into a good routine that made everything easier and systematic, even for those unique games. There's a lot of moments when you watch the videos when he reviews questions where you're like "...well fuck..."

Just my two cents.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 am

Is Velocity only an online course?

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Is Velocity only an online course?

Yep. If you sign up for the comprehensive course, you get all the books (digital or print for some extra $) and basically go through while watching videos along the way. You could go at your own pace or follow one of the schedules they provide. There are also forums and Q&A sessions. I haven't asked specific Qs yet, but Dave seems pretty accessible.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Is Velocity only an online course?

Yep. If you sign up for the comprehensive course, you get all the books (digital or print for some extra $) and basically go through while watching videos along the way. You could go at your own pace or follow one of the schedules they provide. There are forums and Q&A sessions.

Wtf. How did I not know about this...? Or any of this awesome test prep material? Man, I thought I knew everything about LSAT Prep. Before TLS, I only used powerscore and official exams. No wonder I didn't get a 170.

I'm buying after I finish Manhattan.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 am

Dr. Dre wrote:These 2 are the best for LG. So, does Velocity win by a lot or by a little or somewhere in the messy middle?

Hey Dre. How's Manhattan working out for you? Have you started the RC? Mine hasn't arrived yet but I was wondering how it was if you started.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:These 2 are the best for LG. So, does Velocity win by a lot or by a little or somewhere in the messy middle?

Hey Dre. How's Manhattan working out for you? Have you started the RC? Mine hasn't arrived yet but I was wondering how it was if you started.

It's a great book. Best out there for RC.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 am

I liked Velocity better for LG, and Manhattan better for LR. Sometimes Dave Hall goes a bit over my head when de-constructing some LR questions. Other than that, I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Kaplan is complete shit.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

It's a great book. Best out there for RC.

Man, you're getting me all excited. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”