Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Darmody
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby Darmody » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I've heard two sides to this argument. Some say that the December test is the easiest and/or the curve is the most lenient, followed by June, Feb and with the October test being the strictest. So, they suggest to take either the December test or June.

Others say the months don't matter because if the test is difficult, curve will me more lenient and vice versa, so I should take the test whenever because the month of the test won't really affect my score.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:30 pm

That information most likely comes from here:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/ea ... -june.html

However, this data shouldn't be a factor when considering when to test. Your criteria should be: preparedness- are you PT'ing comfortably above your desired score?
application timeline- will your administration give you enough time to apply early in the cycle?

The test is equated, not curved, which means that theoretically you'd make the same score even if the "curve" was 10 points easier. It may be the case that you're predisposed to a certain question type etc that appears more/less frequently according to month, but this is probably not the case and even if it was there'd be no way of predicting it and even if you could the above to criteria would still be more important.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby wtrc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Choose to take the test when you are sufficiently prepared for it. The "curve" is predetermined. No month is easier or harder.

The only difference between the months is the time- June is 12:30 PM and the others are 8:30 AM (or 9 AM, not sure). Shouldn't be a factor at all in deciding which to take.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:49 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Choose to take the test when you are sufficiently prepared for it. The "curve" is predetermined. No month is easier or harder.

The only difference between the months is the time- June is 12:30 PM and the others are 8:30 AM (or 9 AM, not sure). Shouldn't be a factor at all in deciding which to take.


I disagree. I know I definitely cannot function on logic problems at 830 AM. I purposely delayed til the June test before I wrote the LSAT.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 am

armedwithamind wrote: I disagree. I know I definitely cannot function on logic problems at 830 AM. I purposely delayed til the June test before I wrote the LSAT.


This seems reasonable. However, if you're not where you want to be PT-wise the day before the June administration it's advisable to delay until October. The extra three months of study time will serve you better than the extra hours of sleep. Incidentally, there are ways to mitigate the effects that early mornings have on takers like Armed and myself (taking June as well) such as getting up earlier for a few weeks or reversing your sleep schedule etc.

Either way you shouldn't be factoring in the "curve."

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 am

Pneumonia wrote:Either way you shouldn't be factoring in the "curve."


Yea, easier "curve" means harder test. What you want is a test that's hard for everyone but you, and you can't plan that out.

My order is June>October>February (same year as apply)>December>February (same year as enroll). That June test gives you a score before you can apply and is also in the afternoon, so it's my favorite. But definitely take your level of preparedness into account, because that's the single largest determinant in when you should sit for the exam.
Last edited by bp shinners on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Feb, June, Oct, Dec - When to take the LSAT?

Postby wtrc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 am

armedwithamind wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:Choose to take the test when you are sufficiently prepared for it. The "curve" is predetermined. No month is easier or harder.

The only difference between the months is the time- June is 12:30 PM and the others are 8:30 AM (or 9 AM, not sure). Shouldn't be a factor at all in deciding which to take.


I disagree. I know I definitely cannot function on logic problems at 830 AM. I purposely delayed til the June test before I wrote the LSAT.


I hear that. Afternoon is better for me as well. But if I was even a little bit not fully ready for June, I would train my brain to be up for October. I wouldn't take in June if I felt I was not fully prepared, even with the time difference. Just would require rewiring my brain in the month or two before October, and waking up early.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, criley01, Greenteachurro, GurleyGurleyGone, ngogirl12, phelpsy, Pozzo, Tazewell and 13 guests