LG Help

RG10
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

LG Help

Postby RG10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 am

Hey guys first time poster. I have taken a ton of practice tests and the only thing that keeps me from consistently breaking 170+ is the LG section. I average -5 to -7 every time I take one. I got the LG Bible and I went from averaging -10 to -12 to my current average, so I really feel like I just need some more practice in this area. What books or prep material would you guys suggest for me to drill? Thanks!

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 am

RG10 wrote:Hey guys first time poster. I have taken a ton of practice tests and the only thing that keeps me from consistently breaking 170+ is the LG section. I average -5 to -7 every time I take one. I got the LG Bible and I went from averaging -10 to -12 to my current average, so I really feel like I just need some more practice in this area. What books or prep material would you guys suggest for me to drill? Thanks!


Manhattan LSAT

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Manhattan is very good, and used to supplement PS may bring your average down by another 1 or 2 questions. To get to a consistent -0 you're going to need to get super comfortable with all the game types. Strategy study alone yields diminishing returns, at a certain point you're going to need to start drilling by type. Buying all the types from PT 1-38 from Cambridge LSAT will set you back about $90, but if you go through them each a couple of times you can probably get to -0 no problem.

I've gone through them three times: by type untimed, by type timed, and mixed-type timed. Maybe read Manhattan as a preface to each type as you go through them the first time.

User avatar
Vaulter
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby Vaulter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Manhattan is very good, and used to supplement PS may bring your average down by another 1 or 2 questions. To get to a consistent -0 you're going to need to get super comfortable with all the game types. Strategy study alone yields diminishing returns, at a certain point you're going to need to start drilling by type. Buying all the types from PT 1-38 from Cambridge LSAT will set you back about $90, but if you go through them each a couple of times you can probably get to -0 no problem.

I've gone through them three times: by type untimed, by type timed, and mixed-type timed. Maybe read Manhattan as a preface to each type as you go through them the first time.


I agree, mainly its re-doing and drilling real Games, over and over

RG10
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

Re: LG Help

Postby RG10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm

These sound like great ideas. I'm definitely going to do them. Would you guys suggest not taking anymore full length practice tests during this time? I'm trying to be ready to take it in June.

User avatar
Vaulter
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby Vaulter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 pm

RG10 wrote:These sound like great ideas. I'm definitely going to do them. Would you guys suggest not taking anymore full length practice tests during this time? I'm trying to be ready to take it in June.


It depends on what else you've got going on but you've got nine weeks before the exam. I would take maybe three weeks and re-do and drill the games. You've got to get to the point where you're getting all questions for a game right. From there you build up to doing several at a time. Maybe that fourth week you take a couple or several full length practice tests but maybe you take another week to re-do and drill games. I'd see it as a gradual progression towards working to full length practice tests. Again, I don't know what kind of time you have and this is also assuming you're at where you want to be with LR & RC.

RG10
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

Re: LG Help

Postby RG10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah good point. I definitely didn't provide enough information. I'm almost where I want to be for RC. I usually miss between 2-4 questions but I've started reading and outlining more dense material to help me. The LR is a little weaker as I generally miss between 3-5 questions per section. I'm in school but I have plenty of time to work on LSAT prep; probably between 4-5 hours each day. Hopefully that will be enough time to get me where I want to be by June!

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:09 pm

sounds like you have the most gains to make in LG, then LR. I wouldn't take any more PT's until you've gone through whatever material you're using for drilling at least once, preferably twice: once untimed and once timed. 4-5 hours a day is a lot, you can definitely make some big gains. PT's shouldn't really be used until you've got a solid grasp on all the sections. Solid grasp on LG= consistent -0 and maybe occasional -1.

After you've made it through the LG types once or twice take another couple PT's and see where you're at. Also use those PT's to see what types of LR you're having trouble with (even if you're getting them right) and drill the appropriate types. Ideally you'd be able to drill enough LG to be consistently -0 and then have plenty of time left over to get consistently -0/-1 on LR as well. Is a Fall administration out of the question?

RG10
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

Re: LG Help

Postby RG10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes I agree that LG is definitely the section I need to work on the most. I already took your advice and bought the Cambridge books for games by type (should be here in a few days) and I really liked the idea of making copies so I've already decided to do that to help. Really appreciate that advice btw.

Is a Fall administration out of the question?


Are you asking if it's out of the question for me to take it in October? No, not completely. I would rather take it in June though. I've scored over 170 twice and my other tests hover around 165-169 (all with me doing poorly on the games section) so I feel like I can be ready by the time June rolls around.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: LG Help

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:23 pm

RG10 wrote: Are you asking if it's out of the question for me to take it in October? No, not completely. I would rather take it in June though. I've scored over 170 twice and my other tests hover around 165-169 (all with me doing poorly on the games section) so I feel like I can be ready by the time June rolls around.


Yeah that's what I was asking. I'm studying for June as well. It may seem like games suck, but after you drill through you'll be super confident with them. Sounds to me like you have enough time to be prepared for the June exam. Good Luck!

RG10
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

Re: LG Help

Postby RG10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Yeah that's what I was asking. I'm studying for June as well. It may seem like games suck, but after you drill through you'll be super confident with them. Sounds to me like you have enough time to be prepared for the June exam. Good Luck!


Thanks for all the help! Good luck to you as well




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, blackmamba8, brewpub16, goldenbear2020, isuggestbedtime, LewD33, maybeman, proteinshake, SunDevil14, TLane, VMars, xtremenite, Yahoo [Bot] and 28 guests