Manhattan RC

nyjets2090

Manhattan RC

Postby nyjets2090 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi all,

So I'm retaking the LSAT this semester. Since I've already taken the test and a prep course, I've heard that Manhattan is a good supplement to use for a retake. Has anybody found the RC book put out by Manhattan to be helpful?

gaud

Re: Manhattan RC

Postby gaud » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I enjoyed it. IMO it was better than PowerScore's.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 am

Manhattan > Powerscore for retaking.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:32 am

For sure, writing a RC book is difficult, it's not easy to improve based on pointers or tips, it's a lot of ability, and experience. Of all the RC books I've read, Manhattan's was by far the best, but I never got a chance to see any blueprint literature. Going in to Feb, I was averaging -0 or -1 per RC and finished with time to spare, based a lot off of things I picked up from that book. That said, I deviate from the plan significantly, I don't notate, mark, summarize, etc; Which every book I've read suggests. Just not the thing for me.

Brixton

Postby Brixton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am

I also suggest, in addition to Manhattan, reading as much as you can. Read things that push your comfort zone for comprehension. For me, the science reading comprehension passages are the easiest. I'd like to think that is because I've read a lot of science papers with complex terminology. That makes the LSAT RC passages a breeze. The more well-read you are, the better you will do on the RC portion...or at least it can't hurt. I've heard people suggest The Economist and Scientific American for articles to read.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

manhattan rc might help you, but i found another method posted here a while back more helpful. i went from -8 to around -2 within 2 weeks. everyday i have been reading 3-5 articles in the economist or scientific american. right after i read them i open up a word doc and write these things:

-every detail i remember in the order that it was presented in the passage
-the author's tone
-the main point
-the structure of the argument

these are what you should be looking for in an rc passage. the exercise teaches you to read for a specific purpose. i would also strongly advocate a minimalist approach to rc. you dont need to learn all the details of the different views, just know the role that they play and where to find them if you get asked about them. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm

loomstate wrote: i would also strongly advocate a minimalist approach to rc. you dont need to learn all the details of the different views, just know the role that they play and where to find them if you get asked about them. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798

I agree with this. I bought the manhattan RC last week (on kindle, $9.99) and found it pretty helpful. It's very short, like 150 pages or so, but it has a lot of good stuff in it. The main takeaway is that you shouldn't be reading for details, you should be reading for structure, argument, tone etc.

My initial approach to RC was to take everything in on a micro level, Manhattan emphasizes the macro. After you understand the way you should be reading the passage notation is one way of helping you to do that, but it is not the only way and it is not a method that I've found particularly useful. If anything I draw lines under each paragraph and sometimes arrows when they inter-refer in too complex a way.

Honestly the most useful thing for me has been to slow down my reading speed, pause at the end of each paragraph to take everything in (something advocated in the manhattan guide), and treat every question in RC as a "must be true" question in LR.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 am

loomstate wrote:manhattan rc might help you, but i found another method posted here a while back more helpful. i went from -8 to around -2 within 2 weeks. everyday i have been reading 3-5 articles in the economist or scientific american. right after i read them i open up a word doc and write these things:

-every detail i remember in the order that it was presented in the passage
-the author's tone
-the main point
-the structure of the argument

these are what you should be looking for in an rc passage. the exercise teaches you to read for a specific purpose. i would also strongly advocate a minimalist approach to rc. you dont need to learn all the details of the different views, just know the role that they play and where to find them if you get asked about them. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798

I still only get half right on this section. No matter what I can't seem to get better than 1/2 right. This may sound like a stupid question but how exactly do I read for those things you stated- the structure, main point, etc.?

It's like when I read...I'm paying attention to names, dates, lists, etc.,- things mentioned in the powerscore book. I've ALWAYS been the type of person to focus on details in everything in my life and I think that may be 1 of the reasons I can't get more than 1/2 right.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 am

MissJenna wrote:

I still only get half right on this section. No matter what I can't seem to get better than 1/2 right. This may sound like a stupid question but how exactly do I read for those things you stated- the structure, main point, etc.?

It's like when I read...I'm paying attention to names, dates, lists, etc.,- things mentioned in the powerscore book. I've ALWAYS been the type of person to focus on details in everything in my life and I think that may be 1 of the reasons I can't get more than 1/2 right.

I would advise you to take as many RC sections as possible and do a thorough review of each - retaking them probably isn't a bad idea for you either, but make sure you know why each answer is correct and why the others are not. You will start to notice that it's essentially just the same thing over and over. The main point is usually overtly stated in the first paragraph or last paragraph or is a combination of some sentences in both. The author's attitude is expressed in a number of key uses of load bearing language (often times you will pick up on the author's attitude by how he/she critiques or supports different views, and this is what you'll be asked about anyway). For structure and tone you need to ask yourself what role the paragraphs play in the passage and also what the author's role is - is the author advocating, explaining, criticizing etc. Hope that helps..

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the tips, the suggestion with reading an article and outlining it is particularly helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”