Low LSAT Practice Test Score

Irundistance

Low LSAT Practice Test Score

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi all,
I took a practice LSAT cold with no studying and scored a 146. I plan on taking the Oct LSAT, so I'll have 5 months to study. Is it feasible for me to raise my score to the mid-160s by October?

whereskyle

Re: Low LSAT Practice Test Score

Postby whereskyle » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Irundistance wrote:Hi all,
I took a practice LSAT cold with no studying and scored a 146. I plan on taking the Oct LSAT, so I'll have 5 months to study. Is it feasible for me to raise my score to the mid-160s by October?

Yes.

Study the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and drill Logic games sections for 2 months at least.

Do the same for Logical Reasoning, although I was not impressed with Powerscore's logical reasoning book. I hear Manhattan logical reasoning is good.

Work consistently, but don't burn yourself out.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm

whereskyle wrote:

Yes.

Study the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and drill Logic games sections for 2 months at least.

Do the same for Logical Reasoning, although I was not impressed with Powerscore's logical reasoning book. I hear Manhattan logical reasoning is good.

Work consistently, but don't burn yourself out.

Thanks! That's the thing I do not want to burn out by the time the test comes.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Scored about the same on my first diagnostic....I plan to take the June test, and Oct as a backup, but my intention is only once. From what I have seen, it is doable, I am studying Manhattan books, and will probably squeeze in the logic bibles, and take a lot of practice tests. I plan on doing three a week a month before the test. Hopefully this works...good luck

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:24 pm

How are the Manhattan books in your experience? Would you rate them at or above PowerScore?

jcg

Postby jcg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm

jcg wrote:Yes.

Thanks! I just heard about that 20pt ceiling was your limit in raising your score.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm

There are no limits

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm

That's great to hear, just have to study hard

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Irundistance wrote:How are the Manhattan books in your experience? Would you rate them at or above PowerScore?

They are both quality. Manhattan's LR edges better for me, and PS LG.

Vaulter

Postby Vaulter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I went from 151 -> 167 (both real LSAC administered tests). If you think you can or think you can't you're right.

Postby 062914123 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

bee wrote:

Yes, of course. But you have to be diligent and treat it like a job. Have you thought about a prep course? Getting a score lower than 160 can mean that you don't have a good foundation in informal logic (and related topics), and enrolling in a (good) course starts you on the most basic logical concepts and takes you through to game day.

I have but its too expensive, so I was going to self-study instead

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Irundistance wrote:

Thanks! I just heard about that 20pt ceiling was your limit in raising your score.

Nonsense, i'd say the average is about 12 with hard work, but with incredible effort and moderate skill, there is literally no ceiling, I went up 26 from first diagnostic to final official, although I acknowledge thats far from the norm. Just work your ass off, and don't rush yourself or burn out. You have a great GPA, and the most highly valued URM status. Don't quit at 160, your not incapable of doing better, and if you can get within the 170 range, you'll be set.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Irundistance wrote:

Nonsense, i'd say the average is about 12 with hard work, but with incredible effort and moderate skill, there is literally no ceiling, I went up 26 from first diagnostic to final official, although I acknowledge thats far from the norm. Just work your ass off, and don't rush yourself or burn out. You have a great GPA, and the most highly valued URM status. Don't quit at 160, your not incapable of doing better, and if you can get within the 170 range, you'll be set.

Sounds good! I have 5 months to prep, so I'm devoting all my time and energy to studying. I purchased the LSAT Blog 5-month study plan so I can stay focused through a set schedule.

MKX

Postby MKX » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 pm

You can do anything you put your mind to. Stay focused and stay on track.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 pm

MKX wrote:You can do anything you put your mind to. Stay focused and stay on track.

Most definitely. I can picture those acceptances in my mailbox, I'll work hard to make it happen.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 am

Manhattan is superior, but the PS bibles lay a very good foundation for first time test takers. Reading both can't hurt. And raising your score is highly likely if you stick to a rigorous study plan, since you have ~ 6 months.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:32 am

Ben Franklin wrote:Manhattan is superior, but the PS bibles lay a very good foundation for first time test takers. Reading both can't hurt. And raising your score is highly likely if you stick to a rigorous study plan, since you have ~ 6 months.

How many times did you take the lsat?

Brixton

Postby Brixton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am

As others have said, there is never a limit to how high you can go unless you place an artificial limit on yourself. I don't think it can hurt to use a variety of test materials to prepare. Seeing different companies' approach to the sections could help you if one just happens to click better for you than the other. Maybe start with Powerscore and read through, take notes, and do the practice problems. Then once you've gone through the Powerscore book (one at a time), then move on to the Manhattan book for each respective section (LG, LR, RC.) Do one section, drill the crap out of it, then move on to the next. Use the Powerscore books as the broad foundation and use the Manhattan books as the fine finishings on the Sistine Chapel of test preparation.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Ben Franklin wrote:Manhattan is superior, but the PS bibles lay a very good foundation for first time test takers. Reading both can't hurt. And raising your score is highly likely if you stick to a rigorous study plan, since you have ~ 6 months.

I was looking through the Logic Games bible and it seems like it does in fact, like you said, lay a good foundation. I figure after going through the entire thing, I can supplement it with the Manhattan books.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Brixton wrote:As others have said, there is never a limit to how high you can go unless you place an artificial limit on yourself. I don't think it can hurt to use a variety of test materials to prepare. Seeing different companies' approach to the sections could help you if one just happens to click better for you than the other. Maybe start with Powerscore and read through, take notes, and do the practice problems. Then once you've gone through the Powerscore book (one at a time), then move on to the Manhattan book for each respective section (LG, LR, RC.) Do one section, drill the crap out of it, then move on to the next. Use the Powerscore books as the broad foundation and use the Manhattan books as the fine finishings on the Sistine Chapel of test preparation.

Your approach makes sense. I know what my weaknesses are: Analytical reasoning and to a lesser extent, Logical reasoning.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm going to respectfully disagree on doing one, then the other. Those books are wildly different on certain games, if you work through ps, then manhattan, your not suplementing anything, your changing. Better to work through them concurrently by game type and seeing what works best for you

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm going to respectfully disagree on doing one, then the other. Those books are wildly different on certain games, if you work through ps, then manhattan, your not suplementing anything, your changing. Better to work through them concurrently by game type and seeing what works best for you

I'll try Powerscore first then if it doesn't work for me then I'll use Manhattan.
Thanks for your advice

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”