How long to perfect logic games? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fenderman22

New

How long to perfect logic games?

Post by fenderman22 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I've got a question about how long it would take to improve my logic games section, to see if it's worth trying to take the June LSAT. A little background about me: I took the LSAT preptest from the LSAC website about a year ago under timed conditions and got a 168. I studied for about a week, mostly out of the PS Logic Games Bible, before deciding I wanted to wait on applying to law school ( I was also pretty busy working full time too).

Today I took another preptest (#36 out of the Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests), and got a 168. I got a perfect on the reading comprehension, missed 4 questions in the two LR sections, and missed 10 LG questions. This breakdown was pretty similar to how I scored on the preptest a year ago.

My question is, if I study pretty consistently for the next 2 months or so, does anyone think it's possible to get a perfect or near perfect score on the logic games section by the June LSAT? From what I understand, it's the easiest section to improve upon, but I'm a little concerned that, even if I managed to master all the strategies, I might have trouble executing them quickly enough on the timed test.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know of any examples of people mastering that section in that short of a time? I've got 12 hours of classes left until the first week of May, then about 12 days off, then I start about 8 hours of chem classes on May 20th. I could put off getting a new job until after the LSAT if I needed to, so I'd have a pretty decent amount of time to study. I've got the PS LG and LR bibles, and a bunch of preptests (I think I bought whatever the LSATblog guy recommended for his 5 month plan on his blog). Any strategies or examples of similar situations you guys know of? Or would I just be better off waiting for the October test and apllying a little later in the cycle. In case it's relevant, I've got a BA in Economics with about a 3.5, with a very strong upward trend (2.8, 3.3, 3.6, 3.9 or something like that, broken down by year), a year of work experience in healthcare IT, meh recommendations, and I've taken some basic science classes this past semester because I was considering some other options and wanted a good excuse to get out of my job.

Thanks!

stacy

New

Re: How long to perfect logic games?

Post by stacy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 pm

To me LG was like math. Once you learn the strategy and how to execute it, the section is a breeze. You'll be able to tell from practice if you really aren't ready, but I think you will do fine IMHO. It took me 2 months to learn LG cold. It really is the easiest to improve on.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

stacy wrote:To me LG was like math. Once you learn the strategy and how to execute it, the section is a breeze. You'll be able to tell from practice if you really aren't ready, but I think you will do fine IMHO. It took me 2 months to learn LG cold. It really is the easiest to improve on.
100% this. It is the only section where you instantly know that you got 100% right. Learn it, drill it, finish it with ten minutes to spare and have a breather before your next section,

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 pm

it was a bitch to work out at first but once you get the hang of it I'd say you COULD perfect it in 2-3 week of drilling.

Then again, I did 50 PTs going -1 avg and ended up -3 on the real thing.

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 pm

deputydog wrote:
stacy wrote:To me LG was like math. Once you learn the strategy and how to execute it, the section is a breeze. You'll be able to tell from practice if you really aren't ready, but I think you will do fine IMHO. It took me 2 months to learn LG cold. It really is the easiest to improve on.
100% this. It is the only section where you instantly know that you got 100% right. Learn it, drill it, finish it with ten minutes to spare and have a breather before your next section,
I opted for a bathroom break ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 am

you're in a good situation, assuming you can maintain your RC and LR levels. i'm in a a similar situation as you, rarely miss more than 3 on RC and miss 1-2 per section on LR.
You absolutely have enough time to be getting -0 on LG well before the June test. I took my cold diagnostic in January, but didn't start prepping LG until March. I'll tell you what I did and perhaps you'll find it useful.

I separated the LG's from PT 1-38 by type, made three copies of each (for a total of 4 copies including originals) and then put them into folders. I went through the folders 3 times: the first time untimed, just working on technique and proper diagramming. The second time was timed. The third time I mixed all the games up and did 5 game sections, timed. I just finished the third round today and my average time per game is very comfortably below 8:45. This is 90% due to technique, and maybe 10% due to familiarity with the specific games. In other words, I didn't find it a hinderance that i'd seen the games before.

I'm really a fan of this strategy (basically pithypike's), and also of doing 5 game sections. By the time you've made it through the second round of folders you'll find you have a shot of finishing 5 games in 35 minutes. That way when there are only four on the test it will feel like an eternity. In terms of time it's taken me about 50 hours to go through all the games 3 times each. That is just actual time spent working on the games, so probably 70 hours including grading and review.

I feel 'done' with my LG prep at this point. the 4th copy of games are already split randomly in to 5 games sections; i'll be doing 2-3 section a week until June just to stay fresh.

you can do it. drill by type and LG will become an easy, relaxing, stress free -0 on test day.

fenderman22

New

Post by fenderman22 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

Awesome guys, thanks for the help, sounds like it's pretty doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”