Question for the Manhattan guys about LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Question for the Manhattan guys about LG

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 am

I just finished the section on ordering. I did the clusterfuck of a game of a PT you put together with about 10 out of 24 right. I was not exactly successful with time, needing 8 additional minutes, working at the kitchen table, watching the kids, TV on, as much fake stress as possible to simulate stress on test day. My time was the part I was post please with. I'm still too slow, but not as slow as I thought, and as you guys admit, it was a group of games that were meant to be tough. My best game was the one with the phone calls I got all but one right. Anyway, all things considered, the game toughness, the stress, and after just under a month of study, am I on the right track?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Re: Question for the Manhattan guys about LG

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:I just finished the section on ordering. I did the clusterfuck of a game of a PT you put together with about 10 out of 24 right. I was not exactly successful with time, needing 8 additional minutes, working at the kitchen table, watching the kids, TV on, as much fake stress as possible to simulate stress on test day. My time was the part I was post please with. I'm still too slow, but not as slow as I thought, and as you guys admit, it was a group of games that were meant to be tough. My best game was the one with the phone calls I got all but one right. Anyway, all things considered, the game toughness, the stress, and after just under a month of study, am I on the right track?
That's about the least scientifically-controlled sample I've ever heard of! If my kid was awake anywhere within 200 feet, I think I'd be a mess when it comes to LG. So bravo to you (both on your parenting and LG skills). Going forward, as much as possible, when you do sections or full tests, don't worry about adding more distraction. The typical distraction one deals with is pencil-tapping, radiator, etc. - not a TV or child. I'm a bit nervous that you'll get used to a poor level of concentration, and at this point it'd be good to get used to what it feels like to really focus. Parents tend to succeed (i.e. not lose the children to a traveling band of marauders) because they can multi-task, and with the LSAT, you want a very different type of mental state.

A lot will be revealed when you do a regular section under regular timed conditions. Obviously, not all the games will be ordering, but half of them should be, so let's see how that works. Also, replay that section, and see if you can figure out how to play all those games gracefully. If you haven't read our explanations yet, hold off until you've puzzled through it yourself as much as you can bear to do.

Congrats on making some gains already -- a lot of people don't celebrate the early bumps because they can only see the end goal. But, you're right, it's all about picking up a few points at a time. Onward!

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Re: Question for the Manhattan guys about LG

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:I just finished the section on ordering. I did the clusterfuck of a game of a PT you put together with about 10 out of 24 right. I was not exactly successful with time, needing 8 additional minutes, working at the kitchen table, watching the kids, TV on, as much fake stress as possible to simulate stress on test day. My time was the part I was post please with. I'm still too slow, but not as slow as I thought, and as you guys admit, it was a group of games that were meant to be tough. My best game was the one with the phone calls I got all but one right. Anyway, all things considered, the game toughness, the stress, and after just under a month of study, am I on the right track?
That's about the least scientifically-controlled sample I've ever heard of! If my kid was awake anywhere within 200 feet, I think I'd be a mess when it comes to LG. So bravo to you (both on your parenting and LG skills). Going forward, as much as possible, when you do sections or full tests, don't worry about adding more distraction. The typical distraction one deals with is pencil-tapping, radiator, etc. - not a TV or child. I'm a bit nervous that you'll get used to a poor level of concentration, and at this point it'd be good to get used to what it feels like to really focus. Parents tend to succeed (i.e. not lose the children to a traveling band of marauders) because they can multi-task, and with the LSAT, you want a very different type of mental state.

A lot will be revealed when you do a regular section under regular timed conditions. Obviously, not all the games will be ordering, but half of them should be, so let's see how that works. Also, replay that section, and see if you can figure out how to play all those games gracefully. If you haven't read our explanations yet, hold off until you've puzzled through it yourself as much as you can bear to do.

Congrats on making some gains already -- a lot of people don't celebrate the early bumps because they can only see the end goal. But, you're right, it's all about picking up a few points at a time. Onward!
Thanks much. I often don't have a choice when it come to the kids. I might have to just move this to my local library. If my wife sees me, she will use me. Unfortunately, I did look at the game explanations. The one with the table of diplomats was my worst one, the circle through me off, and I doubt I would have figured that curveball out.

The other two were fine, I did poorly because of some dumb mistakes, esp. In the radio broadcast game. It was kind of fun, and the mistakes I made were dumb and careless, not because I missed something major. I hope to replay it in 10 days or so so I can forget some of it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”