When should I start studying for the LSAT?

Junebugman

When should I start studying for the LSAT?

Postby Junebugman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm currently a full time student at university. That means between Spring(Late Jan-Early May) and Fall(Late Aug-Mid Dec) I am in school with a lot of course work. I'm also a junior, so I don't really plan to apply for law school until about 2014-2015 or maybe even 2016 if they cut any more classes from my school. When is a good time for me to start studying for the lsat and actually take it? I'm the type of person that needs structure, although I can self-study from it. I can't just pick up a Powerscore Bible(I do have all 3) and automatically jump right it. I feel that either following a strict study schedule for self study or taking a Blueprint course or even both would be best suited to my style of learning. Is there any time of the year that I can adequately study for the LSAT during my break and take the test? I was hoping to try a June LSAT for example, but then I noticed that my courses finish about a month before it's usually held.

EdSaid

Re: When should I start studying for the LSAT?

Postby EdSaid » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:16 am

Junebugman wrote:I'm currently a full time student at university. That means between Spring(Late Jan-Early May) and Fall(Late Aug-Mid Dec) I am in school with a lot of course work. I'm also a junior, so I don't really plan to apply for law school until about 2014-2015 or maybe even 2016 if they cut any more classes from my school. When is a good time for me to start studying for the lsat and actually take it? I'm the type of person that needs structure, although I can self-study from it. I can't just pick up a Powerscore Bible(I do have all 3) and automatically jump right it. I feel that either following a strict study schedule for self study or taking a Blueprint course or even both would be best suited to my style of learning. Is there any time of the year that I can adequately study for the LSAT during my break and take the test? I was hoping to try a June LSAT for example, but then I noticed that my courses finish about a month before it's usually held.

If your school is anything like mine, the first two months of the semester are pretty easy, so taking it in October may be the best option for you. That would give you most of May, June, July, and August to study for it, and then spend September reviewing stuff. You may want to look at LSATblog's study schedules on his website. I think he has a five-month one that would work really well for you. I always shot for the June test, but found that the last month or two of school ended up taking all of my focus so I never could properly prepare for the test.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:06 am

get the best possible grades you can right now

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 am

armedwithamind wrote:get the best possible grades you can right now

+1, you can take the LSAT any time. I'd do just about anything to go back and bring my GPA up a couple tenths. If you want to start studying a couple hours a week, that's fine. But, I'd save the real heavy stuff for the summer, and plan to take in October.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junebugman

Postby Junebugman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Well currently my GPA is 3.79 and I still have two years to raise that and I'm hoping to at least hit 3.9. One of my dream schools is Cal since I live in CA, but I know they require a very high gpa and lsat. I just want to be able to find a good time to study for the LSAT where I can still do my best in school without having to wait until after I graduate and do a rush job.

MKX

Postby MKX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 am

bee wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:get the best possible grades you can right now

+1, you can take the LSAT any time. I'd do just about anything to go back and bring my GPA up a couple tenths. If you want to start studying a couple hours a week, that's fine. But, I'd save the real heavy stuff for the summer, and plan to take in October.

this times a million. there is nothing more painful then PTing well into the 170s and realizing that your 3.7 is going to kill you with your first choice schools. first world problem? maybe. but really, really excruciating.

I guess my 3.5gpa will destroy me :/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”