PrepTest 24 Section 3 Question 20

Younks

PrepTest 24 Section 3 Question 20

Postby Younks » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Hey everyone - I'm not sure why on the aforementioned question, the answer is B. It seems that E would put fewer conditions on the disposal of the funds than B, though B would most justify the position advocated above. How am I supposed to prioritize those two principles in the first place?

Thanks,
Younks

TTX

Re: PrepTest 24 Section 3 Question 20

Postby TTX » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:57 pm

The question stem asks us to choose a principle that would justify the position that, "the directors should obtain permission from those who made the donation," and yet places the least restriction. So we are looking for an answer choice that justifies both conditions.

Answer choice E does not work since it only satisfies one condition (least restriction) and leaves out the important part where the directors should obtain permission first.

Manhattan LSAT had a good explanation too.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q20 ... b33c2d4c2a

Power Clean

Postby Power Clean » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Manhattan says its an assumption question. Am I wrong to believe that the "most justifies" wording is indicative of a strengthen question? Not sure that it actually changes anything really, but I'm curious now for classification purposes.

Anyways, at the risk of being redundant: only B strengthens, or "most justifies," the conclusion. The language regarding least restrictive is a distraction. Personalize the argument for a moment - why would answer E strengthen the conclusion that you, a director, must ask donors to re-donate surplus funds? If anything, you would think that if they always trusted you, you wouldn't have to turn around and ask their permission. Our conclusion says we do.

A is too restrictive, our conclusion says we just need permission first.
C is too restrictive, and inconsistent with our conclusion - we want to re-donate the money not return it.
D is the opposite, it says that even if we ask we can't be given permission to re-donate. We're also concerned with permission more so than responsibility. We also don't know if the purposes of other organizations will be consonant with the repairs. Take your pick of reasoning to throw this out.
E - if this was the principle governing our behavior we would not be required to ask permission, per our conclusion.

Younks

Postby Younks » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 am

I see now, thank you for the help! I was getting confused about requirement (final sentence) in the stimulus. Thanks again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”