starting LSAT prep for Logic Games for next summer - help

philly93

starting LSAT prep for Logic Games for next summer - help

Postby philly93 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:42 am

hi guys, I know some of you might think this is early but I am planning on studying for the LSAT i plan to take in June of 2014. I want to start with the Logic Games as I have looked through practice questions and know that I would have the most trouble with LG. I do not know much about the LSAT material out there except for that Powerscore is treated highly. I was wondering for someone who has NEVER studied for the LSAT or had much/to any exposure to it would it be better to start out with Powerscore or Blueprint? And then move up to Manhattan LG guide? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is it a smart idea to attack the LSAT section wise? I plan to master the Logic Games by the end of this summer (August 2013), work on Logical Reasoning during the academic year, and spend 1-2 months working on Reading Comprehension and then finally the last 2 months before my LSAT putting it all together and making sure I know the LSAT inside out? The reason I ask this is because I went to a UVA law school information session and the admission lady kept reiterating the LSAT is a skills test and can easily be mastered if approached the right way. I was wondering if this could be that way?

philly93

Re: starting LSAT prep for Logic Games for next summer - help

Postby philly93 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 am

I've looked through and worked through a chapter of Powerscore and it seems kind of rushed for me. I've never taken any sort of logic class and it seemed like the book just threw a bunch of rules and jumped right to the games. I was wondering if this was quality is what makes the book good?

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

I've read and studied through both books. You could benefit from both but I would give a slight edge to Blueprint because of easier notation and more thorough conditional logic sections/explanations. Blueprint also gives you online video explanations. Blueprint also has some comedy in it which is sometimes a relief while studying for the most important test of your life.

One other thing about your plan. If I neglect one type of game for to long I tend to lose my edge on those types of games/inferences. Something to think about as you plan your study.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 pm

thanks for the response. do you know how long the online videos last for? if i purchase the book now would the videos work till next june (june 2014)

amuseboosh

Postby amuseboosh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a limit to how long they're accessible. Honestly now is WAY too early to be studying and you'll probabaly run out of material. I scored in the 170s and studied for several months but not anywhere as long as you plan to, and I ran out of preptests and ended uphaving to do some of them over, leaving me with misrepresentative scores.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm

thats what I was worried about too. Would it be foolish to just study the theory and not do PTs? so go through BluePrint and understand how to diagram and work through their book ONLY. and not look at PTs?

amuseboosh

Postby amuseboosh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 pm

No that wouldn't be foolish at all. I suggest you spend several months acclimating yourself to the text and diagramming methods and reading boring, heavy material in your spare time such as the economist, new yorker etc. Then about 5-6 months before you plan on taking the exam, start drilling and doing preptests. You definitely don't want to waste your practice tests this early on.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Do this for RC and you won't even have to use up PT's:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798&hilit=passage

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

Don't start with actual LSAT material. Head to B&N and pick up http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Posh-Logic ... 0740778609 (or just order it straight from Amazon). There are 2 other books in that series too, I believe.

Are they the same as the LSAT LGs? Nope. But they're going to 'exercise' similar skills. You won't exhaust any official LSAT material, and those puzzles are actually more difficult than the stuff on the LSAT.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 pm

thanks for the link i will check it out. i noticed that you (above poster) was a representative from BluePrint and was wondering what were your thoughts about using your book for Logic Games from this point?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

philly93 wrote:thanks for the link i will check it out. i noticed that you (above poster) was a representative from BluePrint and was wondering what were your thoughts about using your book for Logic Games from this point?

I'm for it. :)

Seriously, though, I think our book does an absolutely fantastic job of introducing the concepts, creating a class-like environment, and then leading you to the more complicated concepts. If you have any specific questions about it, feel free to ask them here (or shoot me a PM).

philly93

Postby philly93 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

thank you for being available to helping people out. I did have a question though: when I purchase the book do I get the videos with it? and how long do the videos last for? I plan to take the LSAT in june or october of next year and was wondering if the videos last that long.

Edit: additional question (sorry!): should i purchase the book now or are you guys going to release a new version anytime soon before summer vacation? AND are there any coupons you know off that you can share :) ?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:19 pm

philly93 wrote:thank you for being available to helping people out. I did have a question though: when I purchase the book do I get the videos with it? and how long do the videos last for? I plan to take the LSAT in june or october of next year and was wondering if the videos last that long.

Video explanations for every question in the book are included with the purchase. You'll have them for a year after registration.

That book is brand new, and we don't expect to update it in the near future. I think all the discount codes are currently expired, but I'll check in with the office...

philly93

Postby philly93 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

do i have to pay extra to renew the video explanations? (also does this mean there are no explanation in the book itself??)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm

philly93 wrote:do i have to pay extra to renew the video explanations? (also does this mean there are no explanation in the book itself??)

ABOUT10 is the new discount code! It'll knock $10 off the introductory price.

And the video explanations are supplemental - there are full explanations in the book. Those explanations are necessarily a little different to account for the different medium through which they're conveyed, and I think it's helpful to use the videos AND the book explanations.

As to renewing the videos, we don't have an official policy as we're a year away from it being an issue. If you call the office and ask for Shannon, she'll put a note in your file that you can renew the video access for $10 (for an additional 6 months), unless we decide to change the policy to make it cheaper, in which case you'll get the lower rate. If the rate goes higher, we'll still honor the $10.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:35 am

wow thank you for being so helpful! i've placed my order and will make sure to call and talk to shannon in the coming days! thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”