LR: Do you pay attention to the speaker?

Do you pay attention to the speaker? Does the speaker matter?

I pay attention to the speaker; the speaker matters.
27%
I pay attention to the speaker, but the speaker doesn't matter.
18%
I don't pay attention to the speaker, because the speaker doesn't matter.
45%
I don't pay attention to the speaker, but the speaker matters.
9%

Total votes: 11

TheMostDangerousLG

LR: Do you pay attention to the speaker?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 pm

I realized that I never pay attention to who is speaking/what the context is (i.e., the little intro before the stimulus; for example, "Editorial:") when I do logical reasoning questions. Of course, I pay attention when it's a point of agreement/disagreement to keep things straight, although usually it's just (e.g.) "Dave" and "Sarah", and who they are doesn't really make a difference.

I thought I unconsciously registered and took them into consideration, but I realized after test day that I really don't (apparently my test included a popular singer as a speaker, and I didn't even notice!). I'm now wondering if I might be hurting himself by neglecting what I assumed to be a usually negligent difference..

Do you pay attention to the speaker? And more important: does it make a difference? Do you change how you evaluate the stimulus or answer choices based on who is speaking/?

I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts!

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: LR: Do you pay attention to the speaker?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Only on questions like Main Point, where the perspective might be relevant.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Only on questions like Main Point, where the perspective might be relevant.

Why do you think it's particularly relevant for these types of questions? Can you give an example, please?

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 pm

do you mean when there are 2 speakers and the question only asks about 1 of them... for example

editorial: this is the way i see it

janet : no your wrong becuase of these reasons

questions : what necessary assumption is needed for janets argument to make sense?

If that is the case im curious to what people do in these sitautions? Do they read the editiorial or just janets?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 pm

homie1515 wrote:do you mean when there are 2 speakers and the question only asks about 1 of them... for example

questions : what necessary assumption is needed for janets argument to make sense?

If that is the case im curious to what people do in these sitautions? Do they read the editiorial or just janets?

I particularly mean the instances where there's only a single speaker/context given, like "Advertisement:"..

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

In that situation, I have never come across a question where it matters. I wouldn't worry about it.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
homie1515 wrote:do you mean when there are 2 speakers and the question only asks about 1 of them... for example

I particularly mean the instances where there's only a single speaker/context given, like "Advertisement:"..

O ya, in that case i never look at the speaker consciously...

Any insight on my question?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:25 pm

homie1515 wrote:

O ya, in that case i never look at the speaker consciously...

Any insight on my question?

You definitely need to read the full stimulus. Always.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 pm

While not a sure thing, seeing things like "advertisement" is often an indicator that there will be some sort of flaw in the reasoning.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:02 pm

no, pay attention to the conclusion and the core.

if it doesn't have an argument core, find the main point of the stimulus.

arcanecircle

Postby arcanecircle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 pm

99% of the time it won't affect the question, one way or the other, but I can give you a specific example of one I actually got wrong a few months ago because I didn't pay attention to who the speaker was PT39-S4-Q22. If you don't realize the drama critic is the speaker, E) doesn't seem like it weakens the argument.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”