Retake
71%
BC Law
29%

Total votes: 34

whatsup2b

Retake a 4th time or go to law school?

Postby whatsup2b » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Took the LSAT 3x (cancel, 160, 160) while working full time. At this point, I can retake a 4th time in October or pay sticker at Boston College Law School in the fall. If I retake, I will be quitting my job 2.5 months in advance to prep full time.

Additional info:
2 yrs of solid WE (Bloomberg and V20)
Just turned 23 years old
3.77 GPA

BerkeleyBear

Re: Retake a 4th time or go to law school?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm

whatsup2b wrote:Took the LSAT 3x (cancel, 160, 160) while working full time. At this point, I can retake a 4th time in October or pay sticker at Boston College Law School in the fall. If I retake, I will be quitting my job 2.5 months in advance to prep full time.

Additional info:
2 yrs of solid WE (Bloomberg and V20)
Just turned 23 years old
3.77 GPA

I vote for a retake.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:I vote for a retake.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 pm

I quit my $60K consulting job to study for the LSAT. Studying for the LSAT the right way is impossible while working a full time job. I would quit 4-5 mnths before your LSAT date to focus it. Give it your best shot. All you can do is try your best and let the chips fall where they may. TLS has rided me real hard for quitting my job to focus on the LSAT. You have to do what is best for you. I don't know how other people were able to balance the two. That shit sucks. There is so much material to cover.

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I quit my $60K consulting job to study for the LSAT. Studying for the LSAT the right way is impossible while working a full time job. I would quit 4-5 mnths before your LSAT date to focus it. Give it your best shot. All you can do is try your best and let the chips fall where they may. TLS has rided me real hard for quitting my job to focus on the LSAT. You have to do what is best for you. I don't know how other people were able to balance the two. That shit sucks. There is so much material to cover.

How's your studying coming along? Check your inbox.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Not necessary to quit your job, especially if you start studying this week.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I quit my $60K consulting job to study for the LSAT. Studying for the LSAT the right way is impossible while working a full time job.

Its not impossible. Tons of people do it.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm

rebexness wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I quit my $60K consulting job to study for the LSAT. Studying for the LSAT the right way is impossible while working a full time job.

It's not impossible, but certainly not enjoyable and indeed not ideal.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
rebexness wrote:

It's not impossible, but certainly not enjoyable and indeed not ideal.

I'm not expecting any part of this to be enjoyable. Are you?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 pm

by not enjoyable what i mean is that you will burn out and therefore not get benefit from studying the LSAT

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Interesting. To those who voted BC Law - Care to pitch in?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

You just don't want to wonder the rest of your life if you could have done more. The worst part about the LSAT is that it is difficult to know when you are fully prepared and really ready to sit for it. I couldn't live with myself knowing I didn't do everything possible to knock it out of the park.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:47 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Not necessary to quit your job, especially if you start studying this week.

I think this is true. I studied while working 45 hours a week.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 pm

What is different now than the other two times you scored a 160? In all likelihood, 160 is a fair score for you. Whatever law school you attend will see two scores of 160 and expect that is a fair score for you. What happens if you attempt a retake and get a lower score? I know that TLS's mantra is retake, but there is something to be said for a bird in the hand.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Sticker at BC is a bad move. Even if the situation surrounding a retake isn't ideal, you really should.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm

I second the notion that studying while working is possible. I took the lsat once, and I did well. Studied while working a 60 hr/wk job. I just chose not to sleep for two months. Did it suck? Yes. But the work added structure to my life, and that made me efficient about my study regimen. I don't think I would've done much better had I quit my job, because I'm the type that needs a lot of structure.

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and prep for a 4th retake. Anyone know how law schools generally look at a 4th retake? Or will they just take the highest score (assuming I score higher than 160).

Thelonious Kwiggz

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:09 am

Don't quit your job, it is good to have something that will take your mind off the LSAT during the day. I gotta ask what are you planning to do different studying this time? What sections give you the most difficulty?

Skill Game

Postby Skill Game » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 pm

whatsup2b wrote:Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and prep for a 4th retake. Anyone know how law schools generally look at a 4th retake? Or will they just take the highest score (assuming I score higher than 160).

Some schools do an average, but most schools take the highest. So whatever number they choose, that's the only criteria they're going to base anything on. They don't look at your 4 test administrations and say "well hey he had to try 4 times to get what he wanted, maybe he's not right for our school".

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Thelonious Kwiggz wrote:Don't quit your job, it is good to have something that will take your mind off the LSAT during the day. I gotta ask what are you planning to do different studying this time? What sections give you the most difficulty?

I quit my job to study full time and loved it, but to be honest, there are a lot of people who were able to study and work full time and did better than I did. I also had a TON of free time because studying full-time requires only 3-4 hours a day--you just can't commit much more than that even if you want to.

I think going to BC at sticker is a terrible idea, but don't quit your job to retake. And if you only have one more shot over the next couple years, take it in OCTOBER. Then work while you study over the next six months.

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
Thelonious Kwiggz wrote:Don't quit your job, it is good to have something that will take your mind off the LSAT during the day. I gotta ask what are you planning to do different studying this time? What sections give you the most difficulty?

I quit my job to study full time and loved it, but to be honest, there are a lot of people who were able to study and work full time and did better than I did. I also had a TON of free time because studying full-time requires only 3-4 hours a day--you just can't commit much more than that even if you want to.

I think going to BC at sticker is a terrible idea, but don't quit your job to retake. And if you only have one more shot over the next couple years, take it in OCTOBER. Then work while you study over the next six months.

Thanks! That's inspirational. I think I'm going to start studying in June while working. Then quit job in August to go into lockdown studying mode. Then score a 165+ hopefully :)

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Good idea but I've decided to quit my job 2 months into my 4 month study plan (August). I think RC gives me the most difficulty. I'm not a fast reader and if I read too fast, I miss the details. I think I'm fine with LG. I still need work on LR. Any suggestions on what material and study plan I should follow?

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Sticker at BC is a bad move. Even if the situation surrounding a retake isn't ideal, you really should.

Thanks for your awesome advice! Time for a 4th retake. Hopefully 4th time the charm!

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:17 am

objection_your_honor wrote:Not necessary to quit your job, especially if you start studying this week.

This. Especially since you are retaking, you are in a different position vs. someone studying for their first test. That being said, 64 days can be enough time for someone taking their first test, but more than enough for someone taking it for the 4th time. Assuming you are aware of your weak areas, you should be able to crush it this time around by focusing on your weaknesses.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:26 am

Ben Franklin wrote:

This. Especially since you are retaking, you are in a different position vs. someone studying for their first test. That being said, 64 days can be enough time for someone taking their first test, but more than enough for someone taking it for the 4th time. Assuming you are aware of your weak areas, you should be able to crush it this time around by focusing on your weaknesses.

This.

But i think what would be the BEST option is to NOT go to law school at all.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”