When should I start studying for a retake?*

OliveBC

When should I start studying for a retake?*

Postby OliveBC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am

Diagnostic was 156, actual Feb score was a 170 (did approx 20 PTs, half older ones half newer ones, and about 5-6 of them timed)
I want to retake for at least a 173

I know I can study harder, use the bibles etc. for a higher score. I'm a Junior right now, and am taking a year between graduation next May and law school to work.

Basically I'm wondering if I should study to retake during senior year (so I don't forget the LSAT knowledge I have now) or if I'll be better served by studying and retaking during my year off when A) I won't be as busy and B) I'll hopefully have forgotten enough of the 20 PTs I've already taken that I can use them without being familiar.

Any retakers have any advice? I would be pretty bummed if I waited a year to start studying again and my score dropped all the way back to a 156 :( On the other hand, I'm doing an honors thesis senior year and taking 19 credit hours each semester...so I don't know how much time I will have to devote to studying if I decided to retake sooner.

I really appreciate any advice or anecdotes from previous retakers :D
Last edited by OliveBC on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

homie1515

Re: How should I study for a retake?

Postby homie1515 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

noodleyone guide on this website is effective.

OliveBC

Re: When should I start studying for a retake?*

Postby OliveBC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply! I definitely plan on using Noodley's guide once I decide when the best time to retake will be :D

SwindlersList

Postby SwindlersList » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 am

I'm not a retaker myself but I'd suggest taking as much time as you need to recharge your batteries only so long as that time doesn't begin to severely interfere with your ability to take the LSAT. I'd say that if at all possible you should get right back at it because right now you're building on everything that got you to the 170 whereas if you wait there will be a period for shaking the rust off that is relatively subjective.

Anyway best of luck with the studying and get that 173!

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks Swindler! I think you are probably right, I don't want to lose the knowledge I gained prepping for February. I think I will just focus on the prep books first, and leave the PTs I've already taken till the end so hopefully I'll have forgotten them :lol:

Legallybronzed180

Postby Legallybronzed180 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Hey just my two cents here from someone who retook and had success
First off congrats on the 170 great way to start and only room to go up I think a three point increase is doable but I think aim for a higher u r already at great point

From my own experience I don't think you should wait the LSAT is a skill based test and timing is key you don't want to lose what you have. Once you stop you will lose some of the skill.
Don't worry about reusing pts you won't remember everything and you want. To learn from past mistakes and see patterns
Feel free to pm if u hv any questions
Good luck

mqt

Postby mqt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 am

I'm starting Wednesday with a cold diagnostic of PT 51. Then doing Noodly's plan. Got a 171 last time but a -6 or -8 (can't remember) in one single LR section, which is a section I did outstanding on in Prep, and I got a -0 on the other LR section. Hoping to develop a strategy to make my LR a sure thing, considering I have it pretty much down.

che3055

Postby che3055 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

I sat for an LSAT, and recently decided to retake. After 4-5 months of absolutely nothing, I cracked open the books again, and got my highest PT score ever on my first test of my re-studying. My scores have been consistently higher than ever, and now I'm just working on establishing real consistency, and covering my bases on small things that could really throw me for a loop on test day (ex. a ridiculous game, a LR section with a lot of long & difficult matching questions, some quirky RC passage, etc.)

Long story short, some time off was incredible for me and I don't really know why.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm

OliveBC wrote:Diagnostic was 156, actual Feb score was a 170 (did approx 20 PTs, half older ones half newer ones, and about 5-6 of them timed)
I want to retake for at least a 173

I know I can study harder, use the bibles etc. for a higher score. I'm a Junior right now, and am taking a year between graduation next May and law school to work.

Basically I'm wondering if I should study to retake during senior year (so I don't forget the LSAT knowledge I have now) or if I'll be better served by studying and retaking during my year off when A) I won't be as busy and B) I'll hopefully have forgotten enough of the 20 PTs I've already taken that I can use them without being familiar.

Any retakers have any advice? I would be pretty bummed if I waited a year to start studying again and my score dropped all the way back to a 156 :( On the other hand, I'm doing an honors thesis senior year and taking 19 credit hours each semester...so I don't know how much time I will have to devote to studying if I decided to retake sooner.

I really appreciate any advice or anecdotes from previous retakers :D

It would really help to know which date you'd want to sit for.

If you want to do June, then i'd for sure start studying now or at least by the 10th of this month (which would give you approx. 2 months til exam date). If you want to shoot for October there's alot more variability, but it sounds like you'll be working so if that's the case i'd do the brunt of your studying and relearning concepts until May, then just PT'ing + drilling in between for the rest of summer until the Oct exam.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”