PT 52 LG 4 - conditional logic Q.

tuffyjohnson

PT 52 LG 4 - conditional logic Q.

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Basic linear LG here. Is there a good way to handle these two rules? They took me a long time to process with question 19.

F-M ---> L-H

Either M's delivery is earlier than H's or it's later than K's but not both.

foggynotion

Re: PT 52 LG 4 - conditional logic Q.

Postby foggynotion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 am

"Either M's delivery is earlier than H's or it's later than K's but not both."

I'd do it something like this (actually, I'd probably draw out M with two branches stemming out from it, but I can't seem to type that):

M-H
M-K
or
H-M
K-M

What I did was just take one option, and then decide what happens to the other element, and then I looked at the other option. In other words, first I said, let's say M is earlier than H--if it is, then M can't be later than K, so it must be earlier than K. Then I said, now let's say M is later than K--if it is, M can't also be earlier than H, so it must be later than H. Now I can easily see that M is either before both K and H, or after both of them. I think this makes it alot easier to deal with.

The other you mentioned, I'd do it just the way you did.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks!

che3055

Postby che3055 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Specifically with question 19, other rules limit the options you have.

If you know that F is 4th, based on other rules (the first rule it lists), G is 5th and K is 6th. Answer A fits this description, and that's all the work you have to do.

With K 6th, you know that it cannot K cannot be before M, so the alternative in the rule you cited must be true - M must be before H, since K cannot be before M. That leaves you with a first three of either MHL or MLH (this eliminates answers B, C, D), or LMH (eliminating E). Of course, all of this is optional really.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”