Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Next week I will begin the LGB, but I had hoped to be more successful after finishing LRB. I've been pretty consistent in my scoring on PT 19-28 and seriously hope to improve as I continue. Any advice on breaking through this plateau will be greatly appreciated. I obviously need to change something in the next set of PT...

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 pm

I'd put the problems to a microscope and drill by question type. Spend several hours/entire day on each type of LR question. And don't do any timing for a couple weeks, just analyze the problems/take notes.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby warandpeace » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 pm

justonemoregame wrote:I'd put the problems to a microscope and drill by question type. Spend several hours/entire day on each type of LR question. And don't do any timing for a couple weeks, just analyze the problems/take notes.

great advice + don't let your other sections slip. you can definitely do it (: one day at a time, and don't waste any time.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 pm

justonemoregame wrote:I'd put the problems to a microscope and drill by question type. Spend several hours/entire day on each type of LR question. And don't do any timing for a couple weeks, just analyze the problems/take notes.


+1

Also, if you already haven't, get the Manhattan LSAT LR book. It is pure gold. Go through that chapter by chapter and follow each chapter with intensive drilling and, perhaps more importantly, review. If you don't understand a question, go to the Manhattan LSAT forum or post here at TLS - but make sure you understand the structure behind it. Do this for the next month. You should be able to get your score down to -1 or -2.

In the meantime, make sure you keep practicing the other sections. Look up pithypike' guide for LG and Voyager's guide for RC.

Best of luck.

Brixton
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby Brixton » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 am

For question drilling by type, do you all suggest the older preptests are still relevant (1-40?) I've heard of the Kaplan Mastery book and also Cambridge LSAT groupings by type.

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Just finished PT 53, Section 1. -6 UNTIMED :oops: So frustrating...

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 pm

ouch, UNTIMED? I am an average scorer of -7 timed, but when I go untimed, I usually only miss 1 or 2. Your untimed score should be close to -1 -2 -3. Try drilling

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:ouch, UNTIMED? I am an average scorer of -7 timed, but when I go untimed, I usually only miss 1 or 2. Your untimed score should be close to -1 -2 -3. Try drilling

DRILL BABY DRILL

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:ouch, UNTIMED? I am an average scorer of -7 timed, but when I go untimed, I usually only miss 1 or 2. Your untimed score should be close to -1 -2 -3. Try drilling

DRILL BABY DRILL


What is the best resource for drilling? I'm desperate.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby homie1515 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm

cambridge packets by type for LR and LG

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm

homie1515 wrote:cambridge packets by type for LR and LG


Thanks! I'm on it! 8)

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm

I tried a new tactic of truly slowing down and focusing on the stimulus. It seems to be working well. HOWEVER, I can't stop thinking about the time constraints of this beastly test. If I continue to prep slowly and methodically, how much time should I give myself to implement clock restrictions prior to test day? Is 1-month timed practice typically enough?

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby Malakai » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 am

flat-fifth wrote:I tried a new tactic of truly slowing down and focusing on the stimulus. It seems to be working well. HOWEVER, I can't stop thinking about the time constraints of this beastly test. If I continue to prep slowly and methodically, how much time should I give myself to implement clock restrictions prior to test day? Is 1-month timed practice typically enough?


By experience I can tell you 1 month of timed practice is NOT enough. Maybe if you're studying for a retake + have more than 4 or 5 months of learning concepts and drilling under your belt then your idea might work, but i'd do timed tests for at least 1.5-2 months.

Also it depends on how many PT's you plan on taking that month IF you plan on doing timed PT's for only 1 month. Maybe if you did 3 a week it'd be feasible, but at that pace and point you seriously risk the possibility of burnout as you near test date.

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby MKX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 am

Question for you op.

Since you haven't started your lgb, when you pt do you still do those sections?

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Averaging -7 on LR after one month of prep. Need advice.

Postby flat-fifth » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 am

MKX wrote:Question for you op.

Since you haven't started your lgb, when you pt do you still do those sections?


I have now started LGB. Previously, I was not reviewing those sections.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, Chipotle85, galeatus and 6 guests