Help me diagram Suff/Necc with this sentence (simple) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ljh912005

New

Help me diagram Suff/Necc with this sentence (simple)

Post by ljh912005 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:03 am

Companies rarely hire people who are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world.

Is it "people who are not concerned with the financial gain" (S) -> "comapny rarely hire" (n)

or

Is it "company rarely hire" (s) -> "people who are not concerned with the financial gain" (N)?

Is "people who are" a sufficent condition indicator?

please helpl!!!

jvincent11

Bronze

Re: Help me diagram Suff/Necc with this sentence (simple)

Post by jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:32 am

Can you give the whole stimulus/question?

S: If you are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world, (N) then you will rarely be hired by companies

At first glance it doesn't seem like S/N type of question, but I could be wrong

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 am

jvincent11 wrote:Can you give the whole stimulus/question?

S: If you are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world, (N) then you will rarely be hired by companies

At first glance it doesn't seem like S/N type of question, but I could be wrong
That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks for being the brave one to post the first response.

It doesn't sound like a conditional statement due to the term "rarely" rather than "never" "always" or any other "all" or "none" indicators.

If the statement was "Companies never hire people who are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world," then 'not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world' (S) -> 'companies never hire' (N)

Remember, sufficient is something that guarantees the truth of the necessary. In this example that I've modified, if someone is not concerned with financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world, then the result MUST BE that companies would never hire said individual. (Hence the problem with the term "rarely.")

Necessary condition, if false, proves the sufficient to be false as well. Again, if a company were to hire said individual, then it must be false that this person is not concerned with financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world.

ljh912005

New

Post by ljh912005 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am

People who have doctorates in the liberal arts are interested in improving their intellects. Companies, however, rarely hire people who are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world. As a result, companies rarely hire people who have doctorates in the liberal arts.

Source: Prep Test 40 Section 3 Q 15

commandercody

New

Post by commandercody » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 am

Is this a flaw in the reasoning type question since the premise doesn't really match the conclusion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am

commandercody wrote:Is this a flaw in the reasoning type question since the premise doesn't really match the conclusion?
My guess is that this is one of those, which answer completes the logical argument questions. In this case, to use the transitive property. I bet one of them states something along the lines of, "people who are interested in improving their intellects are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world"

If this is the case, then the stem gives

A -> B
C -> D
.: A -> D

and the correct response will give you a B -> C, completing the logical chain.

Really need to know the question though to give the best response on how to answer it! OP wrote the stem but not the question lol

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 am

Above poster nailed it, hard to imagine that's not the answer

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Post by Mik Ekim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Not sure if you mean something else w/your terminology, but one thing to keep in mind is that conditional logic only deals with absolutes and guarantees -- your statement (which includes the non-absolute term rarely) is not a conditional statement, and therefore does not have a sufficient nor necessary component.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”