LG Not Laws, And exhausting all possibilities

MiracleNeeded

LG Not Laws, And exhausting all possibilities

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm back to square one and the concepts in the LG bible are starting to sink in. My only issue is that I am having trouble coming up with all the not laws and infrenses while doing drills. Also, I find they take a long time to hunt for.

I'm sure I will eventually speed up and become a not law Jedi, how did you guys eventually get to that point?

The drills help, but I'm starting to memorize them, any source for good drilling material online?

sammy416

Re: LG Not Laws, And exhausting all possibilities

Postby sammy416 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 am

Makes the two of us.

Factual Statement

LSAT -----> FAIL

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 am

Keep practicing, it'll come. Also use the lgb as a guideline, not law; if you actually use any method scientifically you're bound to do more work then you need to 9/10 times.. Learn to see what's gonna be important in a game, not blindly apply a fixed plan to every game, and it'll get much easier. Unfortunately that just takes a lot of lg practice.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:43 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:I'm back to square one and the concepts in the LG bible are starting to sink in. My only issue is that I am having trouble coming up with all the not laws and infrenses while doing drills. Also, I find they take a long time to hunt for.

I'm sure I will eventually speed up and become a not law Jedi, how did you guys eventually get to that point?

The drills help, but I'm starting to memorize them, any source for good drilling material online?

You might find our LSAT Arcade useful for some extra drills. There's an iphone app, and a free web version - http://www.manhattanlsat.com/arcade. Try "could it be" - though you might struggle a bit at first with figuring out our diagram "terminology." You can also find a bunch of LSAT-like logic games on our site.

As for the not laws, if you're talking about things like, if S comes before F, then F can't be first and S can't be last, one thing to keep in mind is that more advanced LSAT takers often stop writing out all the restrictions. They're pretty obvious and for some games, it's a waste of time to write them all out and sometimes it's good enough to note the general area where things can go. The inferences that come from combining rules are important, so I'd write all those out.

Good luck!

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:I'm back to square one and the concepts in the LG bible are starting to sink in. My only issue is that I am having trouble coming up with all the not laws and infrenses while doing drills. Also, I find they take a long time to hunt for.

You might find our LSAT Arcade useful for some extra drills. There's an iphone app, and a free web version - http://www.manhattanlsat.com/arcade. Try "could it be" - though you might struggle a bit at first with figuring out our diagram "terminology." You can also find a bunch of LSAT-like logic games on our site.

As for the not laws, if you're talking about things like, if S comes before F, then F can't be first and S can't be last, one thing to keep in mind is that more advanced LSAT takers often stop writing out all the restrictions. They're pretty obvious and for some games, it's a waste of time to write them all out and sometimes it's good enough to note the general area where things can go. The inferences that come from combining rules are important, so I'd write all those out.

Good luck!

Will totally check out the manhattan website for the games. I purchased your book on kindle for the LG. it is a seriously good book and has helped me take the next step in the games. I will be getting the other books as well.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Dedicate a day, a few days, a week, or however much time you need to this specific problem. During this time, just set up LGs and try to find every goddamn inference you can find. Do this untimed and when you think you've found everything, stare at it for another 15 min and look for more. If you want to answer the questions afterwards, make that a secondary matter.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”