Palomino HB
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
4%

Total votes: 346

Pneumonia

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Pneumonia, what'd you get?

numbers in profile

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:06 am

damn dood, congrats!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 am

Dr. Dre wrote:damn dood, congrats!

thanks dre, and thanks pencil thread.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:55 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:damn dood, congrats!

thanks dre, and thanks pencil thread.

Thanks to you, I'm probably going to stick with my Tri-cons for next test as well.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:23 am

After reading this thread, I've decided to order Black Tico's. Will update if there's a difference in my PT scores.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:After reading this thread, I've decided to order Black Tico's. Will update if there's a difference in my PT scores.

Surely you didn't actually read this thread if you ordered Black Ticonderogas.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:After reading this thread, I've decided to order Black Tico's. Will update if there's a difference in my PT scores.

Ok...maybe I just looked at the poll and skimmed :roll:

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

Only the Tri-conderogas are worth using. Otherwise, you probably need to order your pencils online.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

Only the Tri-conderogas are worth using. Otherwise, you probably need to order your pencils online.

Mirado Black Warriors are sold in stores (Walmart, drugstores, the usual). And they are infinitely better than any Ticonderoga.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:16 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Mirado Black Warriors are sold in stores (Walmart, drugstores, the usual). And they are infinitely better than any Ticonderoga.

I thought once you go Ticon black, you don't go back.
I am tempted to try the Mirado Black Warriors based on the name alone however.
Either way it seems like black coated pencils are superior to their yellow coated brethren.

doublehoohopeful

Postby doublehoohopeful » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:I thought once you go Ticon black, you don't go back.
I am tempted to try the Mirado Black Warriors based on the name alone however.
Either way it seems like black coated pencils are superior to their yellow coated brethren.

Definitely not the case. General's Semi-Hex blows a Ticonderoga Black out of the water on all fronts. Do yourself a favor and start out with that pencil, and if you don't lose your mind over the playfully delicate interplay of grip and fluidity its graphite provides, try out the Palomino HB to experience pencil Enlightenment. For a borderline sexual experience, try out the Blackwing 602 for your writing sample.

There is a Zen saying that goes along the lines of, "Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water." I prefer, "Before Enlightenment, sharpen Ticonderoga Blacks, carry water. After Enlightenment, sharpen Palomino HBs, carry water."

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:13 am

So glad this thread exists. My TTT pencils keep breaking and leaving stray marks everywhere. :/

bahamallamamama

Postby bahamallamamama » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:19 am

you TLS [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] are the worst

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:17 pm

bahamallamamama wrote:you TLS [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world] are the worst

(outed as an XO poaster)

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 pm

So once the proper pencil has been chosen, what pencil sharpener do you guys use? just a simple TTT pencil sharpener?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:So once the proper pencil has been chosen, what pencil sharpener do you guys use? just a simple TTT pencil sharpener?

God...NO.

If you're going to use a TTT sharpener on a good pencil, you might as well just use John Marshall's free TTT pencils.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:So once the proper pencil has been chosen, what pencil sharpener do you guys use? just a simple TTT pencil sharpener?

Please don't feed this thread and get it going again, it was dormant and almost dead for three weeks until somebody poked it and woke the beast. They already did sharpener ratings and reviews, just read all the back pages if you don't have anything better to do than watch paint peel.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:48 pm

Jeffort wrote:

Please don't feed this thread and get it going again, it was dormant and almost dead for three weeks until somebody poked it and woke the beast. They already did sharpener ratings and reviews, just read all the back pages if you don't have anything better to do than watch paint peel.

We've discussed a lot of North American made pencils, but I don't think we've touched on many foreign made pencils. I think it'd be foolish to limit our pencil discussion to one continent. Does anyone have any experiences with high-quality, foreign pencils?

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:43 am

Jeffort wrote:

Can OP update/make a new poll that includes the best sharpener options?

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

Can OP update/make a new poll that includes the best sharpener options?

That would be pointless, as the KUM long point would be the only contender.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:33 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

We've discussed a lot of North American made pencils, but I don't think we've touched on many foreign made pencils. I think it'd be foolish to limit our pencil discussion to one continent. Does anyone have any experiences with high-quality, foreign pencils?

I think Palomino is a Japanese company. Also, I mentioned before that I find the Eberhard Faber Mongol an excellent pencil. I think E.F. is a German company, though from my understanding they only sell the Mongol in South America for some reason (I'm currently traveling in Colombia, so I'm buying as many as I can!). The lead is a bit lighter than I'd like, but the eraser is top-notch, as soft and smooth as a baby's ass, and the lead's point retention is fantastic, making it great for LG.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:43 am

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:43 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

I think Palomino is a Japanese company. Also, I mentioned before that I find the Eberhard Faber Mongol an excellent pencil. I think E.F. is a German company, though from my understanding they only sell the Mongol in South America for some reason (I'm currently traveling in Colombia, so I'm buying as many as I can!). The lead is a bit lighter than I'd like, but the eraser is top-notch, as soft and smooth as a baby's ass, and the lead's point retention is fantastic, making it great for LG.

The Palomino Blackwing is made by Cal Cedar Pencil Company which is based in California. I forgot about the Mongol though, I'll read up on it sometime soon.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 am

I use the brass bullet sharpener.

I have two cause I thought I lost one and then found it.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:34 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
The Palomino Blackwing is made by Cal Cedar Pencil Company which is based in California. I forgot about the Mongol though, I'll read up on it sometime soon.

Ahhh, good old 'Mercuh. Glad to know that most of my top pencils are made in the U.S.A. I feel oddly patriotic about it. My #1 is still the General's Semi-Hex.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”