What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:13 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Only other information that I think is relevant to a thorough pencil review is ease of sharpening and point retention, but I don't know how you could design a test for these; they seem to be things you gather over time through experience with a pencil. But if you think of a way, it'd be cool to hear how the Palomino HB, Palomino Blackwing 602, and General's Semi-Hex compare.


Yeah, I'm just running off of my experience with the 602 and the Palomino HB when I say that one to two pencils gets me through LR and RC, two or three gets me through LG, and three or four gets me through the writing section. Just from running this test, they all seemed to lose their point at a pretty similar rate. However, I always seem to burn though 602s for some reason in test conditions.

On the sharpening question, the quality of the pencil, the quality of the sharpener, and the skill of the person sharpening all play a role. It took me a bit of time (like a day or two) to get the hang of the Kum Long Point, but it is well worth it and I can knock out a quality pencil in less than a minute. If the pencil is not good quality (uncentered lead, paint on the end of the unsharpened face, shitty wood, etc.), it will definitely result in a less than optimal sharpening.

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:By the way, any reason you didn't test the Mirado Black Warrior? I'd be interested to see how you think it fares in these tests.


I'm just chalking that one up to me being too lazy to go out and find some. Once I found the Palomino and General's brands, I figured that I wouldn't find any better, although I will probably pick those and the Palomino Pearls up at some point.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 am

doublehoohopeful wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Only other information that I think is relevant to a thorough pencil review is ease of sharpening and point retention, but I don't know how you could design a test for these; they seem to be things you gather over time through experience with a pencil. But if you think of a way, it'd be cool to hear how the Palomino HB, Palomino Blackwing 602, and General's Semi-Hex compare.


Yeah, I'm just running off of my experience with the 602 and the Palomino HB when I say that one to two pencils gets me through LR and RC, two or three gets me through LG, and three or four gets me through the writing section. Just from running this test, they all seemed to lose their point at a pretty similar rate. However, I always seem to burn though 602s for some reason in test conditions.

On the sharpening question, the quality of the pencil, the quality of the sharpener, and the skill of the person sharpening all play a role. It took me a bit of time (like a day or two) to get the hang of the Kum Long Point, but it is well worth it and I can knock out a quality pencil in less than a minute. If the pencil is not good quality (uncentered lead, paint on the end of the unsharpened face, shitty wood, etc.), it will definitely result in a less than optimal sharpening.

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:By the way, any reason you didn't test the Mirado Black Warrior? I'd be interested to see how you think it fares in these tests.


I'm just chalking that one up to me being too lazy to go out and find some. Once I found the Palomino and General's brands, I figured that I wouldn't find any better, although I will probably pick those and the Palomino Pearls up at some point.


Do you think you'll get the Pearls before test day? I'd love to hear what a fellow LSAT-er thinks of them; can't find any reviews that provide really relevant info.

And +1 on the Kum. Obsessed with it (even ordered a backup, in case mine somehow breaks before test day). I think that there is a difference in how even not-completely-shitty pencils sharpen; the Ticonderoga and Ticonderoga black, for example, are pencils that I believe have a far inferior sharpening pencil than the HB, 602, or Black Warrior. Of course, with the right sharpener, it's much easier to get a good result, but certain pencils seem to have a notable rate of point breakage/lead falling out while sharpening than others.

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:31 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Do you think you'll get the Pearls before test day? I'd love to hear what a fellow LSAT-er thinks of them; can't find any reviews that provide really relevant info.


I found http://www.pencilrevolution.com/category/reviews/pencils/ this on the Pearl and it convinced me to order a box, should be here by the end of the week.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby jingosaur » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I took a chance and bought a dozen Ticeronderoga Noir pencils. They're essentially the same as the Blacks, but they have a silver coating on the outside. When taking them out of the box, I was kind of disappointed because some of the silver finish was scuffed in places, but overall, I really liked the way that they wrote and erased. The point doesn't get very sharp even with good sharpening, but it still writes very clearly and bubbles very quickly.

Most importantly, I got a 176 on PrepTest 65 with them. I'm definitely using them on test day. Hopefully nobody complains about how shiny they are.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23647
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby chup » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 pm


User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm



We'll cross that bridge when we finish the LSAT.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm

ashup's jealous this thread has more pages than his pen thread

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:ashup's jealous this thread has more pages than his pen thread


Pens are TTT.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 pm

..

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 pm

sublime wrote:
Is there any consensus on a hand sharpener, or will I just be ok with whatever comes up on Amazon?


Do yourself a favor and get this badboy http://www.amazon.com/Kum-Automatic-Pencil-Sharpener-1053021/dp/B003G560JQ

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 pm



Already have made a wish list from that thread, for when I graduate to big boy land/am finished with pencils. Yes, there is a pink fountain pen on my amazon wish. Soon.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23647
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby chup » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:42 am

Dr. Dre wrote:ashup's jealous this thread has more pages than his pen thread

Counterpoint: you're currently banned.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm sorry dear friend. I couldn't hold in my rage

Image

You were good to me for all of those countless PTs and drills. I just couldn't contain myself when I wasted so much time on a dumb problem that I could have easily solved by plugging and chugging.

RIP

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:17 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm sorry dear friend. I couldn't hold in my rage

Image

You were good to me for all of those countless PTs and drills. I just couldn't contain myself when I wasted so much time on a dumb problem that I could have easily solved by plugging and chugging.

RIP


Now do the same to the rest of your Ticonderoga blacks.

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Now do the same to the rest of your Ticonderoga blacks.

+1

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm sorry dear friend. I couldn't hold in my rage


You were good to me for all of those countless PTs and drills. I just couldn't contain myself when I wasted so much time on a dumb problem that I could have easily solved by plugging and chugging.

RIP


Your sadness reminded me that I have some of those left over from the pre-Enlightenment days. Being reminded, I may or may not have burned one alive while his friends and family watched.

http://i.imgur.com/uXR2W0u.jpg

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

doublehoohopeful wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'm sorry dear friend. I couldn't hold in my rage


You were good to me for all of those countless PTs and drills. I just couldn't contain myself when I wasted so much time on a dumb problem that I could have easily solved by plugging and chugging.

RIP


Your sadness reminded me that I have some of those left over from the pre-Enlightenment days. Being reminded, I may or may not have burned one alive while his friends and family watched.

http://i.imgur.com/uXR2W0u.jpg


I laughed. :lol:

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm sorry dear friend. I couldn't hold in my rage

Image

You were good to me for all of those countless PTs and drills. I just couldn't contain myself when I wasted so much time on a dumb problem that I could have easily solved by plugging and chugging.

RIP


Bah god king, that killed it! As god as mah witness, that pencil is broken in half. Enough is enough! Somebody stop the damn test!

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby wtrc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm

So I just went into Rite Aid. My Mirado bw pencil supply is out, and I need some for the test. I bought them here last time.

They no longer carry them.

Immediately, panic rushes through my mind. Do I cancel June?! Do I protest outside?! DO I USE A TTTT PENCIL?!

Thank god for Amazon. Yes, I'll pay 7 bucks for 8 pencils.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:47 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:So I just went into Rite Aid. My Mirado bw pencil supply is out, and I need some for the test. I bought them here last time.

They no longer carry them.

Immediately, panic rushes through my mind. Do I cancel June?! Do I protest outside?! DO I USE A TTTT PENCIL?!

Thank god for Amazon. Yes, I'll pay 7 bucks for 8 pencils.


Couldnt you just go to Office Depot/Max? Or walgreens? Im not familiar with the stocking of Mirado Black Warrior pencils so if im out of line please let me know...

I wish they sold Palominos anywhere besides amazon, but since im a student amazon prime is free for 6 months and that gets me free 2 day shipping and $2.99 overnight..

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm

So, when I crush PT 69 next week and hit the 99th+ percentile, will you guys finally give the Tri-Conderoga the respect it deserves?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:So I just went into Rite Aid. My Mirado bw pencil supply is out, and I need some for the test. I bought them here last time.

They no longer carry them.

Immediately, panic rushes through my mind. Do I cancel June?! Do I protest outside?! DO I USE A TTTT PENCIL?!

Thank god for Amazon. Yes, I'll pay 7 bucks for 8 pencils.


Good call. NEVER use a TTTT pencil. Don't even use a TTT pencil. A TT pencil is okay in very few and unique situations.

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:42 pm

So my Blackwing Pearls came in earlier this week and I've had a couple of days to play around with them. Not surprisingly, they are a bit smoother and softer than the 602. While I never thought of these as Scantron pencils, I've decided not to use them on the Writing Sample portion of the exam. Personally, I have a heavy hand when I write, especially under time and pressure, and I want a pencil that has a bit more firmness. Make no mistake, the Pearl is a great pencil; it has the feeling of writing with a stick of butter, and I mean that in the best way possible. However, its lack of firmness and higher smudge coefficient ( :) ) makes it a less than ideal Writing Sample pencil.

Overall, if you are trying to decide whether or not to use the Pearl on the test, my advice is to stick with the 602.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 am

WHen is the right time to abandon your pencil?

My Palomino Blackwing 602's length is becoming shorter and shorter. Currently, its usage is not as comfortable as compared to its prime length stages. However, my 602 still works great.

I want to know what length the 602 must be in order for its usage to be futile. Thus rendering me to abandon it and use a brand new 602.

Image

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

Dr. Dre wrote:WHen is the right time to abandon your pencil?

My Palomino Blackwing 602's length is becoming shorter and shorter. Currently, its usage is not as comfortable as compared to its prime length stages. However, my 602 still works great.

I want to know what length the 602 must be in order for its usage to be futile. Thus rendering me to abandon it and use a brand new 602.

Image


I'd say it is still good for drilling at this point, but not PTs. Retire the pencil when it becomes either too uncomfortable or painful.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, ceetee1726, Instrumental, Pozzo, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests