What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
109
32%
Black Ticonderoga
128
37%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 342

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Does what kind of pencil sharpener to use, both before test day and during test day, necessitate a separate thread? Or can we handle it here? I just purchased a $0.99 "TUG" sharpener, but it has yet to be tested.

Run some tests and report back to the thread with your findings.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:sharpeners can be discussed here. (they already have). thus, we don't need a new thread.


We especially don't need a new thread since we've already discussed the benefits of actually having a sharpener or not. Someone mentioned before, to paraphrase, "Sharpening pencils during the exam is TTT. Bring 10 sharpened pencils on test day."

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby wtrc » Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:sharpeners can be discussed here. (they already have). thus, we don't need a new thread.


We especially don't need a new thread since we've already discussed the benefits of actually having a sharpener or not. Someone mentioned before, to paraphrase, "Sharpening pencils during the exam is TTT. Bring 10 sharpened pencils on test day."


Yes, but the question is how to sharpen those 10 pencils ;)

Admittedly, the Mirado Warriors do come sharpened.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Pneumonia » Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 pm

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/ TCR for sharpening.

if someone with enough disposable income could purchase the service and report back i'd be appreciative. also, i have much interest in the book.

sorry if it's a repost, but no way I'm reading through this again to check.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:sharpeners can be discussed here. (they already have). thus, we don't need a new thread.


We especially don't need a new thread since we've already discussed the benefits of actually having a sharpener or not. Someone mentioned before, to paraphrase, "Sharpening pencils during the exam is TTT. Bring 10 sharpened pencils on test day."


Yes, but the question is how to sharpen those 10 pencils ;)

Admittedly, the Mirado Warriors do come sharpened.


i like this one. it makes a long point that seems to last longer between sharpenings. i'm not going to try sharpening during the test. comes with extra blades too so you can save a fresh, sharp cut for the test day pencils. it ate a few points at first, but then i realized it takes a gentler touch instead of hammering down like with regular sharpeners. it can make a literally painfully sharp point, so don't fuck with guys with a kum sharpener at the test center

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Point-Pencil-Sharpener-Pointer/dp/B0038RA6KG

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:sharpeners can be discussed here. (they already have). thus, we don't need a new thread.


We especially don't need a new thread since we've already discussed the benefits of actually having a sharpener or not. Someone mentioned before, to paraphrase, "Sharpening pencils during the exam is TTT. Bring 10 sharpened pencils on test day."


Yes, but the question is how to sharpen those 10 pencils ;)

Admittedly, the Mirado Warriors do come sharpened.


i like this one. it makes a long point that seems to last longer between sharpenings. i'm not going to try sharpening during the test. comes with extra blades too so you can save a fresh, sharp cut for the test day pencils. it ate a few points at first, but then i realized it takes a gentler touch instead of hammering down like with regular sharpeners. it can make a literally painfully sharp point, so don't fuck with guys with a kum sharpener at the test center

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Point-Pencil-Sharpener-Pointer/dp/B0038RA6KG


+1

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Wed May 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I have a running collection of thumb size pencils decimated by studying. I like the framing idea.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu May 16, 2013 3:37 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of references to yellow and black pencils but no white. What, are y'all a bunch of pencil racists or something? :P


these were just released to address this issue

Image

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 16, 2013 4:04 am

Those are fucking sweet! 8)

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 am

I must admit, there are some fine ass pencils ITT :lol:

I don't even need pencils but I'll probably go out and buy some now.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of references to yellow and black pencils but no white. What, are y'all a bunch of pencil racists or something? :P


these were just released to address this issue

Image


They need a tri-wing version!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of references to yellow and black pencils but no white. What, are y'all a bunch of pencil racists or something? :P


these were just released to address this issue

Image


Are these #2? Can we use them on the LSAT?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 16, 2013 12:11 pm

I should have waited before i ordered the blackwing 602s

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I should have waited before i ordered the blackwing 602s

Those things are f#$%ing sexy. As. F#$%.

mystikal
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mystikal » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm


User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 4:43 pm



Too bulky, tough to handle, doesn't come in Tri-form. TTT pencil.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 16, 2013 7:01 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:


Too bulky, tough to handle, doesn't come in Tri-form. TTT pencil.


Meh. Also, the girl is TT at best.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 16, 2013 7:02 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Meh. Also, the girl is TT at best.



typical girl, pre-lsat 170+ score

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Meh. Also, the girl is TT at best.



typical girl, pre-lsat 170+ score


:lol:

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Just got the Palominos in the mail. I will update you on their performance tomorrow after I PT.

User avatar
doublehoohopeful
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby doublehoohopeful » Thu May 16, 2013 10:39 pm

They're between the 602 and the straight Blackwing in terms of hardness, so the Pearls are probably a bit darker than a standard HB/#2. Your best bet for a Blackwing closest to HB would be the 602.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Wtf...look at these clowns:

itachiuchiha wrote:Anyone else get their kit in the mail? I got one which included a plastic bag, 2 cheap pencils, 2 peppermints, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. DEFINITELY USEFUL!




viewtopic.php?f=6&t=209766&p=6768328#p6768328

It's a conspiracy. These TTTs are sending out this shit to increase their pool of people that will actually attend their institutions. There's no way anyone can get a 170+ with those kinds of pencils. Even NoodleyOne on a good day will get a 161 with those pencils.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Wtf...look at these clowns:

itachiuchiha wrote:Anyone else get their kit in the mail? I got one which included a plastic bag, 2 cheap pencils, 2 peppermints, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. DEFINITELY USEFUL!




http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8#p6768328

It's a conspiracy. These TTTs are sending out this shit to increase their pool of people that will actually attend their institutions. There's no way anyone can get a 170+ with those kinds of pencils. Even NoodleyOne on a good day will get a 161 with those pencils.


Anyone expecting decent pencils from these guys deserves the TTT score they end up with.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Balthy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Just ordered the Polomino collection set from Pencils.com. I've tried the Blackwing and Blackwing 602, but I've never actually owned one before. Super excited! My Mongol (which I got on a trip to Colombia) is also getting short.. I'll probably have to order some soon.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Balthy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh yeah, I purchased the Staedtler Rally some time ago assuming it was one of Staedtler's lower end, discount pencils. That's probably still true, but I'm surprised by its consistency. Unlike other discount pencils, where one pencil that you pull out of the box may chip and break apart when you sharpen it while another may function as a decent pencil, the Staedtler Rally is very consistenty a decent pencil. You don't want to have to guess whether your pencil will work for you, so that counts for something. Its wood is slightly rough, but evenly so, so no surprises while sharpening. The color scheme is great, IMO, but the damn bar code on the side is a bit of a distraction. Worst part is probably the eraser, as it does its job well enough, but disappears before your eyes in just a few hours of work. All and all, one of the better discount pencils I've used, but not that great.

Image

Edit for image.
Last edited by Balthy on Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests