What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
rebexness wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:TLS: Which pencil has the best eraser? I suck so much at LGs that I still need close the full 35 mins to do them. I can't afford to pick up a eraser. I'll need the best eraser that a pencil can provide.


Have you done any tests to see if a eraser topper is faster than a detached eraser? Also, I don't think you can really replicate the quality found in the detached kind, and you don't want to risk smudges or tearing your scantron.


I use the Sanford Magic Rub for my scantron. I don't think I'll be doing any erasing on my scantron, especially for the LG section. But on the actual test booklet, I find that it helps to have a good eraser on your pencil for the games. If you make a mistake or for a situation for some hypo questions, especially at the end of the section, I find that it's much faster to just flip your pencil and erase than have to put your pencil down and grab an eraser.


Don't put the pencil down, just use your pencil hand to hold the paper down and erase with your other hand.


Interesting technique, I havent thought of this... Maybe im in for a hi polymer eraser now.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue May 14, 2013 6:36 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
rebexness wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:TLS: Which pencil has the best eraser? I suck so much at LGs that I still need close the full 35 mins to do them. I can't afford to pick up a eraser. I'll need the best eraser that a pencil can provide.


Have you done any tests to see if a eraser topper is faster than a detached eraser? Also, I don't think you can really replicate the quality found in the detached kind, and you don't want to risk smudges or tearing your scantron.


I use the Sanford Magic Rub for my scantron. I don't think I'll be doing any erasing on my scantron, especially for the LG section. But on the actual test booklet, I find that it helps to have a good eraser on your pencil for the games. If you make a mistake or for a situation for some hypo questions, especially at the end of the section, I find that it's much faster to just flip your pencil and erase than have to put your pencil down and grab an eraser.


Don't put the pencil down, just use your pencil hand to hold the paper down and erase with your other hand.


It might be a good idea if I had more time. It took me months to learn how to comfortably do left handed layups. I only have one month before my exam. I don't think changing the way I have been taking my exams to a new technique with so little time left before game day is prudent.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 6:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote: left handed layups. .


damn this thread getting all technical and shiet :lol:

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Just ordered the Palomino HB Blue eraser tipped pencils from amazon with the kum long point sharpener... im coming from the Ticonderoga Blacks, hopefully the jump will be a nice change.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, BROTHER.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Holy shit, 23 pages for a pencil thread. If I had legitimate naked pictures of Beyoncé and posted them for people to comment on the thread would not be this long.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 pm

high score on the LSAT > naked pics of beyonce

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:high score on the LSAT > naked pics of beyonce


Pre 170+, Beyonce won't even talk to you or acknowledge that you exist. Post 170+, you have a chance to bang Beyonce. Is it a good chance? Probably not, but at least there's a chance.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

just got some tri-cons on impulse. i think they're neat and i like the finish, but the sharpener they came with makes short fat points and i like the long sharp points. anyone had a similar complaint and/or found a sharpener that will help?

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Blackwing Kum Long Point Sharpener

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

The greatest pencil to grace god's green Earth. No scantron or graph paper stands a chance if you use one of these bad boys.

A black version of the Ticonderoga is the rarest pencil known to man. It is the only pencil greater than the regulation color type. Removing one of these from the roof of a library is the equivalent of Arthur removing the sword in the stone. And, as you may already know, the Ticonderoga is mightier than the sword.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:The greatest pencil to grace god's green Earth. No scantron or graph paper stands a chance if you use one of these bad boys.

A black version of the Ticonderoga is the rarest pencil known to man. It is the only pencil greater than the regulation color type. Removing one of these from the roof of a library is the equivalent of Arthur removing the sword in the stone. And, as you may already know, the Ticonderoga is mightier than the sword.


I hope thats not true, as I just spent $12 on Palomino HB Blue Eraser Tipped Pencils.. How are the erasers on these btw? Should I invest in a hipolymer eraser and use the switch hitter approach (use the left hand to erase while writing and holding the paper with my right?)

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:The greatest pencil to grace god's green Earth. No scantron or graph paper stands a chance if you use one of these bad boys.

A black version of the Ticonderoga is the rarest pencil known to man. It is the only pencil greater than the regulation color type. Removing one of these from the roof of a library is the equivalent of Arthur removing the sword in the stone. And, as you may already know, the Ticonderoga is mightier than the sword.


That's why you can buy 12 at any Walmart for $3.

mvonh001 wrote:I hope thats not true, as I just spent $12 on Palomino HB Blue Eraser Tipped Pencils.. How are the erasers on these btw? Should I invest in a hipolymer eraser and use the switch hitter approach (use the left hand to erase while writing and holding the paper with my right?)


Fret not, nooooo comparison between black Ticonderogas and Palomino HB. And the erasers can feel a teensy bit dry at first, but after a couple erases they are quite nice. I haven't had any problem with them.

And direct Palomino HB to black Ticonderoga comparison: Palomino HBs sharpen like a dream in comparison. You shall look down on test day as your black Ticonderoga-wielding brethren sob over their snapped points and empty tips after a hearty sharpening causes the lead to fall out. And you shall rub the smooth, smooth grain of the Palomino's cedar across your cheek and think to yourself with a smile, "I made the right choice."

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:The greatest pencil to grace god's green Earth. No scantron or graph paper stands a chance if you use one of these bad boys.

A black version of the Ticonderoga is the rarest pencil known to man. It is the only pencil greater than the regulation color type. Removing one of these from the roof of a library is the equivalent of Arthur removing the sword in the stone. And, as you may already know, the Ticonderoga is mightier than the sword.


That's why you can buy 12 at any Walmart for $3.

mvonh001 wrote:I hope thats not true, as I just spent $12 on Palomino HB Blue Eraser Tipped Pencils.. How are the erasers on these btw? Should I invest in a hipolymer eraser and use the switch hitter approach (use the left hand to erase while writing and holding the paper with my right?)


Fret not, nooooo comparison between black Ticonderogas and Palomino HB. And the erasers can feel a teensy bit dry at first, but after a couple erases they are quite nice. I haven't had any problem with them.

And direct Palomino HB to black Ticonderoga comparison: Palomino HBs sharpen like a dream in comparison. You shall look down on test day as your black Ticonderoga-wielding brethren sob over their snapped points and empty tips after a hearty sharpening causes the lead to fall out. And you shall rub the smooth, smooth grain of the Palomino's cedar across your cheek and think to yourself with a smile, "I made the right choice."


I've never been so pumped up to receive pencils lol. What has this thread done to me? lol

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 15, 2013 2:01 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:And direct Palomino HB to black Ticonderoga comparison: Palomino HBs sharpen like a dream in comparison. You shall look down on test day as your black Ticonderoga-wielding brethren sob over their snapped points and empty tips after a hearty sharpening causes the lead to fall out. And you shall rub the smooth, smooth grain of the Palomino's cedar across your cheek and think to yourself with a smile, "I made the right choice."


When it comes to scrapping the black Ticons for a new pencil, I feel like one of those people that has a 151 and refuses to retake even if it runs counter to logical advice. It's just....wtf am I going to do with the black Ticons if I do switch? I bought a 24 pack...

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 am

23 pages on the pencil that should be used? I hate law school so very much.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Pneumonia » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 am

mvonh001 wrote:Blackwing Kum Long Point Sharpener


is the confirmed to work well with the tRi-conderogas? i'm considering it just for the regular ticon blacks but i'd be sold if worked with the tri's too.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:52 am

I'm seeing a lot of references to yellow and black pencils but no white. What, are y'all a bunch of pencil racists or something? :P

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mvonh001 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am

Pneumonia wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Blackwing Kum Long Point Sharpener


is the confirmed to work well with the tRi-conderogas? i'm considering it just for the regular ticon blacks but i'd be sold if worked with the tri's too.



Ohh... good question, I do not know if it will work with the tRi's... you should investigate.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 am

Pneumonia wrote:just got some tri-cons on impulse. i think they're neat and i like the finish, but the sharpener they came with makes short fat points and i like the long sharp points. anyone had a similar complaint and/or found a sharpener that will help?


Using the smaller part of the sharpener allows you to extend the point.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed May 15, 2013 1:37 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Just ordered the Palomino HB Blue eraser tipped pencils from amazon with the kum long point sharpener... im coming from the Ticonderoga Blacks, hopefully the jump will be a nice change.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, BROTHER.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 pm

just added some orange palomino HBs. i don't know what i'm going to do with all these pencils when this is over

Image

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

You should frame the ones you used on game-day.

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Those Palominos can go for $$ on the secondary market.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby wtrc » Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Does what kind of pencil sharpener to use, both before test day and during test day, necessitate a separate thread? Or can we handle it here? I just purchased a $0.99 "TUG" sharpener, but it has yet to be tested.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 pm

sharpeners can be discussed here. (they already have). thus, we don't need a new thread.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw and 2 guests