What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'm gonna drop by Staples tomorrow to get some new pencils. I'll let you guys know if I find anything good. Also, let me know if there's something you want me to try out.



Image


Image



Those are incredible! Do they come in tri-form?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't think they come in tri-form.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:34 am

Just ordered a Kum Long Point :

Image

I like the Dux better, but it drops shit everywhere:

Image

Trying to learn the craft now. This pencil sharpening video was pretty informative. Look at the way he protects the tips with pieces of tubing at the end. I might try that so my tips don't break in my bag.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just ordered a Kum Long Point :

Image

I like the Dux better, but it drops shit everywhere:

Image

Trying to learn the craft now. This pencil sharpening video was pretty informative. Look at the way he protects the tips with pieces of tubing at the end. I might try that so my tips don't break in my bag.


Hey! That's the book I recommended:


ManoftheHour wrote:If you cannot get the perfect edge on your pencil, I highly recommend giving this a read:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Sharpen-Penci ... en+pencils

Image

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just ordered a Kum Long Point :

Image

I like the Dux better, but it drops shit everywhere:

Image

Trying to learn the craft now. This pencil sharpening video was pretty informative. Look at the way he protects the tips with pieces of tubing at the end. I might try that so my tips don't break in my bag.


I literally just ordered a Kum Long Point as well! Funny coincidence. I also forgave the Palomino Blackwing 602 I got in my pencil sample pack from pencils.com for snapping its point during a PT, and succumbed to its loveliness- just ordered a full pack.

I don't know how I feel about spending $20 on a pack of 12 pencils! On the one hand: ridiculous. On the other hand, they are just so lovely, and really, it's an LSAT investment. :oops:

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:48 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Trying to learn the craft now. This pencil sharpening video was pretty informative. Look at the way he protects the tips with pieces of tubing at the end. I might try that so my tips don't break in my bag.


Hey! That's the book I recommended:



Yeah, I thought the video was flame. This is the actual guy. The guy behind the guy behind the guy.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I literally just ordered a Kum Long Point as well! Funny coincidence. I also forgave the Palomino Blackwing 602 I got in my pencil sample pack from pencils.com for snapping its point during a PT, and succumbed to its loveliness- just ordered a full pack.

I don't know how I feel about spending $20 on a pack of 12 pencils! On the one hand: ridiculous. On the other hand, they are just so lovely, and really, it's an LSAT investment. :oops:


That's basically how I justified it in my head. Every time I pick up someone else's pencil by mistake, I throw it down in front of them like "eww" because everything else feels like sandpaper.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 am

we should invite David Rees as a guest speaker to this thread.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm starting to warm up to the Triconderogas. I haven't really LGed with them yet, but they bubble the answer sheet quite nicely. I am considering using shorter points for LR, and longer for RC/LG. I know short points sound like a bad idea, but try bubbling a few questions with them.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:we should invite David Rees as a guest speaker to this thread.


Everyone:

contact@artisanalpencilsharpening.com

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/index.html

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 pm

stili acumen salus mundi

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:we should invite David Rees as a guest speaker to this thread.


Found this other video about him: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KabOfnbS4TQ&feature=fvwrel

He's hilarious. I particularly appreciated his take on mechanical pencils.

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Hoping to get my collection pack of Palomino's this week!

Uncle Ruslan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 pm

I only have $12 for pencils - narrowed it down to two, each with its own set of pros/cons:

http://goo.gl/UMbrW

or

http://goo.gl/VFukw

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Uncle Ruslan wrote:I only have $12 for pencils - narrowed it down to two, each with its own set of pros/cons:

http://goo.gl/UMbrW

or

http://goo.gl/VFukw


Lolol. :lol:

If this were a serious dilemma, I'd recommend you pass and go with these: http://www.amazon.com/Palomino-Graphite-Pencils-Eraser-Tipped/dp/B007P50S1O

Uncle Ruslan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I'd recommend you pass and go with these: http://www.amazon.com/Palomino-Graphite ... B007P50S1O


I actually just bought these on impulse. I'm a sucker for white erasers and not good with money.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Uncle Ruslan wrote:I only have $12 for pencils - narrowed it down to two, each with its own set of pros/cons:

http://goo.gl/UMbrW

or

http://goo.gl/VFukw


Lolol. :lol:

If this were a serious dilemma, I'd recommend you pass and go with these: http://www.amazon.com/Palomino-Graphite-Pencils-Eraser-Tipped/dp/B007P50S1O


I second this. I just got my box in the mail 30 minutes ago and they already have a spot in my bag along with the 602. They are superior to every pencil I own except for the 602, but unlike the 602, they have the officially accepted HB grade stamped on the barrel.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Decided not to go with other pencils. The Dixon Black Ticons are just too good. I feel it'd be foolish to switch pencils now this late in the game.

So many! I'm forever grateful for this thread for introducing me to them.

And the rest of my training gear:

Image

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Decided not to go with other pencils. The Dixon Black Ticons are just too good. I feel it'd be foolish to switch pencils now this late in the game.

So many! I'm forever grateful for this thread for introducing me to them.

And the rest of my training gear:

Image


I switched pencils less than a month before the February test (from the black Ticonderogas, in fact) and never looked back.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:16 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
I switched pencils less than a month before the February test (from the black Ticonderogas, in fact) and never looked back.


To what?

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
I switched pencils less than a month before the February test (from the black Ticonderogas, in fact) and never looked back.


To what?


Mirado Black Warriors. They are the pencil black Ticonderogas wish they were. You can find them at CVS or Rite Aid.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Image

Damn. What do I do with these now? These are so TTT...and I have like 20 of them.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Image

Damn. What do I do with these now? These are so TTT...and I have like 20 of them.


Lolol, that pic is hilarious. :lol:

You could try selling them to the many fools in this thread who refuse to accept how drastically inferior Ticonderogas are to the MBW and Palominos.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Image

Damn. What do I do with these now? These are so TTT...and I have like 20 of them.


Lolol, that pic is hilarious. :lol:

You could try selling them to the many fools in this thread who refuse to accept how drastically inferior Ticonderogas are to the MBW and Palominos.


I have both and I prefer the Ticonderogas.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:31 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Image

Damn. What do I do with these now? These are so TTT...and I have like 20 of them.


I have 22 Ticonderogas and Tri-conderogas that I had to just hide in the bottom of my desk. I can barely even touch the Golden Bears after being gently and lovingly hand sexed repeatedly by the chill, caring Palomino HBs and the 602s.
Image

Thanks to this thread, I now officially have more pencils at one time than I have ever had in my life, and I have never felt so alive.

Image




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: galeatus and 3 guests