What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 am

Jeez, separate vs attached eraser. WE HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED ON THIS TOPIC YET. I fear we still have a lot more to suss out in this thread before I feel comfortable asking for it to be stickied at the top for subsequent newbie TLS 0Ls

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 am

Picked up some Black Warriors today. Really excited.

My local store did not have black Tri-cons, but they did have the yellow ones. Are they TTT? They also had some Ticon Noirs, they looked interesting but i did not purchase without checking ITT.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3 ... Pencils-2/
Last edited by rebexness on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 am

deputydog wrote:Jeez, separate vs attached eraser. WE HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED ON THIS TOPIC YET. I fear we still have a lot more to suss out in this thread before I feel comfortable asking for it to be stickied at the top for subsequent newbie TLS 0Ls

Then suss we must.

Things yet to be sorted:
+proper (and improper) pencil grip
+bubbling methods
+erasing methods
+various pencil mishaps and how to prevent/handle them

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 am

rebexness wrote:Picked up some Black Warriors today. Really excited.

My local store did not have black Tri-cons, but they did have the yellow ones. Are they TTT? They also had some Ticon Noirs, they looked interesting but i did not purchase without checking ITT.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3 ... Pencils-2/


I scored a 175 with a yellow tricon, def not TTT

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 am

mlansky wrote:
deputydog wrote:Jeez, separate vs attached eraser. WE HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED ON THIS TOPIC YET. I fear we still have a lot more to suss out in this thread before I feel comfortable asking for it to be stickied at the top for subsequent newbie TLS 0Ls

Then suss we must.

Things yet to be sorted:
+proper (and improper) pencil grip
+bubbling methods
+erasing methods
+various pencil mishaps and how to prevent/handle them


We should run this list by Dr. Dre and ManoftheHour to see if we are missing anything.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 am

Also optimum pencil length.

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 am

deputydog wrote:We should run this list by Dr. Dre and ManoftheHour to see if we are missing anything.


But of course.

rebexness wrote:Also optimum pencil length.


Honestly thought about adding that one. I'm sure I can come up with a reasonable sounding explanation as to why I prefer 6" to 7".

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 am

mlansky wrote:
deputydog wrote:We should run this list by Dr. Dre and ManoftheHour to see if we are missing anything.


But of course.

rebexness wrote:Also optimum pencil length.


Honestly thought about adding that one. I'm sure I can come up with a reasonable sounding explanation as to why I prefer 6" to 7".


Well its really important where you grip it, so depending on your hand size a 6" might be better than 7".

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 am

rebexness wrote:
mlansky wrote:
deputydog wrote:We should run this list by Dr. Dre and ManoftheHour to see if we are missing anything.


But of course.

rebexness wrote:Also optimum pencil length.


Honestly thought about adding that one. I'm sure I can come up with a reasonable sounding explanation as to why I prefer 6" to 7".


Well its really important where you grip it, so depending on your hand size a 6" might be better than 7".


Lately I've been experimenting with something sort of like this, just for LR (where I only use my pencil to circle, cross out, and checkmark). Got a -0 on the LR section I tried this with today, got a -4 on the section I took holding the pencil normally. I think such results speak for themselves.

CR2012
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby CR2012 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 am

PM me when we get to bubbling methods.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

mlansky wrote:Lately I've been experimenting with something sort of like this, just for LR (where I only use my pencil to circle, cross out, and checkmark). Got a -0 on the LR section I tried this with today, got a -4 on the section I took holding the pencil normally. I think such results speak for themselves.


That looks like an uncomfortable and weak grip. Are you able to accurately bubble the answer sheet like that?
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
mlansky wrote:Lately I've been experimenting with something sort of like this, just for LR (where I only use my pencil to circle, cross out, and checkmark). Got a -0 on the LR section I tried this with today, got a -4 on the section I took holding the pencil normally. I think such results speak for themselves.


That looks like an uncomfortable and week grip. Are you able to accurately bubble the answer sheet like that?


That would be my concern as well, I'm willing to try anything for that 180 though.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am

i agree to the above
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
mlansky wrote:Lately I've been experimenting with something sort of like this, just for LR (where I only use my pencil to circle, cross out, and checkmark). Got a -0 on the LR section I tried this with today, got a -4 on the section I took holding the pencil normally. I think such results speak for themselves.


That looks like an uncomfortable and week grip. Are you able to accurately bubble the answer sheet like that?


No, I bubbled with a regular grip, but for LR I only bubble every page or so (which reminds me, I think we should add to that list a discussion of how we bubble each section. I haven't worked out a system yet but I feel strongly that there's time to be saved from the use of a good method) but while I was crossing out and circling on the actual page, as well as putting checkmarks and question marks, I had my grip pretty much like this and it really felt like I was in the driver's seat. I don't have a good explanation as to why, but it may have increased my attention, felt sort of like after you rearrange the furniture in your house, it just made me feel fresher.

ETA- It's weak, but definitely not uncomfortable.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm

When it comes to grip, I prefer a tighter grip on the LR and RC sections. The thing is, your marking on those sections are minimal when compared to the LGs. This way, you can afford to use a tighter grip and not have your hand cramp up.

When it comes to the LGs, a slightly looser grip is preferred. You'll be doing way more markings than the other two sections so you'll really need your hand to not cramp up. In addition to this, a looser grip = lighter markings, which in return = easier to erase. For the people that don't save their work, this is pretty important. For the questions that need you to come up with hypos, this can be damn important, especially if this is at the end of the section in which marking your main setup can save you time (since it's the last question, you wouldn't need to save your main setup by coming up with a mini setup).

We do need a serious discussion on pencil sharpeners though. I've yet to see one useful response to that question.

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:We do need a serious discussion on pencil sharpeners though. I've yet to see one useful response to that question.


We've got time. Is the question just what sharpener is best? Because I've got one of these: http://amzn.com/B0030I26LK on the way, but I think I'll just use it for presharpening, then during the PT, I'll just use a compartmented sharpener, even if it isn't the same level of quality. I've gotten my during-game-sharpening down to a single sharpen, so long as I have 3 or 4 well-pointed before the PT, so the quality of the during-game-sharpen isn't as crucial.

If anyone knows where to find a sharpener that will fit this pencil, plz let me know so I can try it out on a PT: http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber ... o-pencils/

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 pm

We should ask BP Shinners and the Manhattan guys on this board to publish the winner of the pencil poll in their next books as TLS' endorsed pencil.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 pm

deputydog wrote:We should ask BP Shinners and the Manhattan guys on this board to publish the winner of the pencil poll in their next books as TLS' endorsed pencil.


+1

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:We should ask BP Shinners and the Manhattan guys on this board to publish the winner of the pencil poll in their next books as TLS' endorsed pencil.


+1



Just asked in BP Shinners study thread

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

deputydog wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:We should ask BP Shinners and the Manhattan guys on this board to publish the winner of the pencil poll in their next books as TLS' endorsed pencil.


+1



Just asked in BP Shinners study thread



i just saw it


one thing: they don't advise CVS pencils in their books. They said it here:


http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... uary-lsat/

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:We should ask BP Shinners and the Manhattan guys on this board to publish the winner of the pencil poll in their next books as TLS' endorsed pencil.


+1



Just asked in BP Shinners study thread



i just saw it


one thing: they don't advise CVS pencils in their books. They said it here:


http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... uary-lsat/


That's it. We have to boycott Blueprint until they fix this egregious mistake.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
That's it. We have to boycott Blueprint until they fix this egregious mistake.



180

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Bros, it seems Mr. Shinners is receptive to our request. It is amazing the amount of impact this thread has had in such a short amount of time.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm

deputydog wrote:Bros, it seems Mr. Shinners is receptive to our request. It is amazing the amount of impact this thread has had in such a short amount of time.


Chill, sociable test prep companies have proven to be really reasonable in working with TLS members. Its imperative that one has a proper pencil to take the LSAT.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

rebexness wrote:
deputydog wrote:Bros, it seems Mr. Shinners is receptive to our request. It is amazing the amount of impact this thread has had in such a short amount of time.


Chill, sociable test prep companies have proven to be really reasonable in working with TLS members. Its imperative that one has a proper pencil to take the LSAT.


Prep companies like Blueprint want the best for their students. It's only reasonable that they would want to make a recommendation on the proper pencil(s).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], ngogirl12 and 3 guests