What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 am

CR2012 wrote:My only regret during my LSAT prep was that I didn't take the time to purchase quality pencils for my first take. I only realized this after receiving my second score and putting two and two together.

Sorry for the testimonial, I just really appreciate the work that is being done ITT for future test takers.


Dr. Dre, will you add this to the OP? I think it's exactly testimonials like these that we need to let everyone know about.

10/10 post, CR2012, would read again.

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:56 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
mlansky wrote:I usually have a trash can nearby or make a mini-pile that I dispose of during my break/after the test. I'm aware that this might be a handicap I should eliminate prior to the actual test, but none of the sharpeners with compartments has really won me over, they seem to loosen the graphite or sharpen at too acute an angle or some such annoyance...


I don't know how I feel about that...

I'll probably buy one with a compartment. The mini-pile will drive me nuts. What if I accidentally cough and all that shit goes everywhere?

With that said, my sharpener sucks. Does anyone know which sharpener is best? It absolutely HAS to have a compartment for the shavings.


I don't disagree with you, it could prove annoying... but consider the following: I really only sharpen my pencil 3-6 times per PT, at a maximum of one square inch of shavings per sharpening (a little more than 20mm, the circumference of my pencil), meaning I produce at most 6 square inches of shavings, which I—inconsiderate sod that I am—won't mind just just sweeping off my desk onto the ground (I'll probably try to make it look like an accident) then disposing of them properly after my test. That seems like less hassle than going with a sharpener with which I don't feel 100% comfortable.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth. The Golden Bears are also pretty legit and probably the best value of the four in the picture at $2.51 for a dozen on pencils.com.
Now I need to find a better sharpener so I don't get shit everywhere.

Image
click for big

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Can you get those Palominos at -Mart type stores? Or do you need Amazon or an office supply store?

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:03 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth.


Stupid question: what does "half the pressure, twice the speed" mean? Does it make my hand move faster somehow?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby JenDarby » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 pm

armedwithamind wrote:you guys are seriously neurotic, you'll make perfect t14 law students

At least they can continue to have no friends. There's something to be said about consistency.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23648
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby chup » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 pm

OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS HOW IS THIS NOT AN ELABORATE PARODY

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 pm

mlansky wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth.


Stupid question: what does "half the pressure, twice the speed" mean? Does it make my hand move faster somehow?


The lead isn't as scratchy and you don't have to bear down as hard to make a dark mark.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:15 pm

rebexness wrote:Can you get those Palominos at -Mart type stores? Or do you need Amazon or an office supply store?


Amazon has the 602s and pencils.com has all the Palomino brands. I haven't seen them in other stores.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 pm

a pic from when I was a kid

Image

my house

Image


sitting at the bus stop while car is in the shop

Image


my car getting worked on

Image


sitting in class

Image
Last edited by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

chup wrote:OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS HOW IS THIS NOT AN ELABORATE PARODY


Why would we parody something as srs as pencils bro?

ETA - aren't you a pen enthusiast? I thought you, of all people, would understand.
Last edited by 052220151 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 pm

mlansky wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
mlansky wrote:I usually have a trash can nearby or make a mini-pile that I dispose of during my break/after the test. I'm aware that this might be a handicap I should eliminate prior to the actual test, but none of the sharpeners with compartments has really won me over, they seem to loosen the graphite or sharpen at too acute an angle or some such annoyance...


I don't know how I feel about that...

I'll probably buy one with a compartment. The mini-pile will drive me nuts. What if I accidentally cough and all that shit goes everywhere?

With that said, my sharpener sucks. Does anyone know which sharpener is best? It absolutely HAS to have a compartment for the shavings.


I don't disagree with you, it could prove annoying... but consider the following: I really only sharpen my pencil 3-6 times per PT, at a maximum of one square inch of shavings per sharpening (a little more than 20mm, the circumference of my pencil), meaning I produce at most 6 square inches of shavings, which I—inconsiderate sod that I am—won't mind just just sweeping off my desk onto the ground (I'll probably try to make it look like an accident) then disposing of them properly after my test. That seems like less hassle than going with a sharpener with which I don't feel 100% comfortable.


I suppose so. But yeah, I don't think I'd be comfortable enough with that. I need one with a compartment. I know this is a pencil thread, but anyone have any ideas for a good sharpener with a compartment for shavings?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:a pic from when I was a kid

Image


You were such a boss.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby rebexness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
I suppose so. But yeah, I don't think I'd be comfortable enough with that. I need one with a compartment. I know this is a pencil thread, but anyone have any ideas for a good sharpener with a compartment for shavings?


I bring mine presharpened. My sharpener is kind of TTT, I got it at Target.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth. The Golden Bears are also pretty legit and probably the best value of the four in the picture at $2.51 for a dozen on pencils.com.
Now I need to find a better sharpener so I don't get shit everywhere.

Image
click for big




How are the attached erasers of the Golden Bears and Blackwings in comparison the the attached eraser of the black ticonderoga?

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth. The Golden Bears are also pretty legit and probably the best value of the four in the picture at $2.51 for a dozen on pencils.com.
Now I need to find a better sharpener so I don't get shit everywhere.

Image
click for big




How are the attached erasers of the Golden Bears and Blackwings in comparison the the attached eraser of the black ticonderoga?


Golden Bears' erasers are slightly larger than the regular Ticonderogas and smaller than the Tri-conderogas. 602s are a little easier to get small things because of the shape. All of them have similar material and erase the same mark equally.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 pm

JenDarby wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:you guys are seriously neurotic, you'll make perfect t14 law students

At least they can continue to have no friends. There's something to be said about consistency.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Sorry, just checked my PMs.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23648
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby chup » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm

deputydog wrote:
chup wrote:OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS HOW IS THIS NOT AN ELABORATE PARODY


Why would we parody something as srs as pencils bro?

ETA - aren't you a pen enthusiast? I thought you, of all people, would understand.

It should be a sign of how far down the rabbit hole you dweebs have travelled that the fountain pen enthusiast is looking down on you.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:06 pm

chup wrote:
deputydog wrote:
chup wrote:OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS HOW IS THIS NOT AN ELABORATE PARODY


Why would we parody something as srs as pencils bro?

ETA - aren't you a pen enthusiast? I thought you, of all people, would understand.

It should be a sign of how far down the rabbit hole you dweebs have travelled that the fountain pen enthusiast is looking down on you.




fuck pens

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 pm

i think it's best to just love the rabbit hole and see how deep i can get

User avatar
mlansky
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mlansky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:12 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
mlansky wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just got the 602s and the Golden Bears in. Writing with the 602 feels like my hand is getting its dick sucked. Writes like silk and the finish is smooth.


Stupid question: what does "half the pressure, twice the speed" mean? Does it make my hand move faster somehow?


The lead isn't as scratchy and you don't have to bear down as hard to make a dark mark.


hmmm... It doesn't say on Amazon whether it's HB/No. 2... I suppose I'll wait until after June to get accustomed to a luxury pencil I'm not certain I'll be able to use on the LSAT. It certainly is a good looking pencil, though...

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
chup wrote:
deputydog wrote:
chup wrote:OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS HOW IS THIS NOT AN ELABORATE PARODY


Why would we parody something as srs as pencils bro?

ETA - aren't you a pen enthusiast? I thought you, of all people, would understand.

It should be a sign of how far down the rabbit hole you dweebs have travelled that the fountain pen enthusiast is looking down on you.




fuck pens


So much this.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2840
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 pm

rebexness wrote:Can you get those Palominos at -Mart type stores? Or do you need Amazon or an office supply store?

These are fairly rare. Unlikely to find a box stores, or even chain office supply stores. You might get lucky at some independent office supply/stationary type places.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:i think it's best to just love the rabbit hole and see how deep i can get


Super solid post




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], myk247 and 3 guests