What #2 Pencil Should I use? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
33%
Black Ticonderoga
37%
Tri-conderoga
6%
Blackwing 602
5%
Black Mirado Warrior
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
1%
General's Semi-Hex
1%
Palomino HB
3%
Other (post ITT what it is)
3%

Total votes: 375

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

^^ Niiiiiicee. What store did you get them from? My shitty ass staples has neither of those three items.

Naclam

New

Post by Naclam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

I got a 173 with a Staples brand pencil. I'm like a Samurai who fights with a twig I guess.

Damn....I didn't know people went this deep with the LSAT (although I remember one friend of mine told me he thought about wearing a diaper so he could shit in his pants during the test).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

try office depot, if all else fails, amazon will not disappoint.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Naclam wrote:I got a 173 with a Staples brand pencil.
anomaly

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 pm

deputydog wrote:I went HAM at the store tonight. I bought the eraser caps after Dr. Dre's compelling and poignant review. I decided to purchase the black warriors and the tri-writes. I know that the tri-write is a controversial purchase, but I thought that I would give it a try. The warriors circular grip could pose problems. I will report back in a few days with more in-depth comparisons between the tri-writes, black warriors, and the traditional dixon ticonderoga.

Where'd you get them Helix erasers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:I went HAM at the store tonight. I bought the eraser caps after Dr. Dre's compelling and poignant review. I decided to purchase the black warriors and the tri-writes. I know that the tri-write is a controversial purchase, but I thought that I would give it a try. The warriors circular grip could pose problems. I will report back in a few days with more in-depth comparisons between the tri-writes, black warriors, and the traditional dixon ticonderoga.

Fred Meyer. It's like a one stop, grocery, outdoor gear, clothes, etc. type of place.

Edit- I'll let you know how those caps work.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 pm

I regret posting ITT. Pick a pencil guys. Just, pick a pencil.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 pm

deputydog wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

Fred Meyer. It's like a one stop, grocery, outdoor gear, clothes, etc. type of place.

Edit- I'll let you know how those caps work.
Fred Meyer hell yeah! I've been there a few times while visiting family in Oregon. Pretty badass.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Never heard of Fred Meyer, so I googled it, and my goal is to go there one day

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Never heard of Fred Meyer, so I googled it, and my goal is to go there one day
We call it Freddies. It pretty much fucking rules. Its like a high end WalMart.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 am

JenDarby wrote:I regret posting ITT. Pick a pencil guys. Just, pick a pencil.
By posting ITT people are probably helping Dr. Dre earn some pocket $$. He might be trying to use the thread to create pencil anxiety and paranoia so nervous people will buy pencils from him while waiting in line on test day. He'll be the guy walking up and down the check-in line preaching about pencil purity and the only righteous way to a 180 while holding a huge bag of pencils for sale @ $2 each and erasers for $5 each plus an iPad with this thread up on the screen for potential customers to read while they wait.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 am

Jeffort wrote: By posting ITT people are probably helping Dr. Dre earn some pocket $$. He might be trying to use the thread to create pencil anxiety and paranoia so nervous people will buy pencils from him while waiting in line on test day. He'll be the guy walking up and down the check-in line preaching about pencil purity and the only righteous way to a 180 while holding a huge bag of pencils for sale @ $2 each and erasers for $5 each plus an iPad with this thread up on the screen for potential customers to read while they wait.

lol

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am

Dr. Dre wrote:I just obtained the legendary Dixon's Oriole pencil, and this is my review (after the 3 pics)

Strengths: Dixon's Oriole (hereinafter [O]) is much sturdier on the hands than the Ticonderoga. When I write, the [O] is very direct: it writes whatever you want with arrant precision. This pencil is perfect for diagramming conditionals and for utilizing in logic games.

Some flaws: The [O] is slower to write with than the Ticonderoga. Moreover, it is slower to bubble the answers. The attached eraser is not as good as the Ticonderoga's (although it is still pretty good).

Ties: both pencils take the same amount of time to sharpen. Once sharpened, both pencils boast an exquisite point, that, when applied to paper, composes formidable marks to combat the LSAT.

Conclusion: the [O] is perfect for LG and for some parts of LR. I would, however, not use it for RC.

I also obtained the HI-Polymer eraser:

This eraser is one of the best I've used in my entire life. This eraser, equipped with either a Ticonderoga or an Oriole (or both), will aid whatever combatant for GAME DAY.
bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?
No. They don't exist. Everything you find in stores will either be a bright pink clear plastic piece-of-shit shaped like a small dildo, or require electricity.

I just brought like 10 pencils instead.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?
No. They don't exist. Everything you find in stores will either be a bright pink clear plastic piece-of-shit shaped like a small dildo, or require electricity.

I just brought like 10 pencils instead.
:lol: Yeah, I've yet to find a solid, cheap sharpener. Have you used the metal pencil sharpeners? The one/two hole version by "Maples" looks alright. I might buy it and post a review on here.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm

haus wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Great thread

anyone have a preference for sharpeners?
A few of my coworkers are fans the Alvin Brass Bullet Pencil Sharpner, but personally I do not find it comfortable to use. I prefer the DUX Glass Inkwell Sharpener, as it fits easily and comfortably in my hand, and the jar captures the shavings until I am ready to dispose of them.

ETA: both of the above have nice blades and can fairly easily produce a nicely sharpened pencil.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Oh snap, didn't see that. Thanks Dre.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:
Oh snap, didn't see that. Thanks Dre.
Can you or Dre put up a review shortly? I'm in the market for a new sharpener.

NonTradFTW

New

Post by NonTradFTW » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I hope that one day this thread is revealed to be trolling at such an elaborate level that it would be better termed social commentary. I hope that this is not the state of America in 2013. I hope that no one spends more than 10 minutes of their life thinking about their pencil choice. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Dammit, I wish I knew about these Helix white caps before I took the LSAT, those are so damn frosty.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 pm

NonTradFTW wrote:I hope that one day this thread is revealed to be trolling at such an elaborate level that it would be better termed social commentary. I hope that this is not the state of America in 2013. I hope that no one spends more than 10 minutes of their life thinking about their pencil choice. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Nah, that's what is wrong with Americuh: not enough critical thinking going on. People don't go in-depth about anything anymore.

Even the most minuscule thing ought to be examined.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

For you guys who want to rely primarily on pencil choice rather than serious prep:

Image (LinkRemoved)

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Oh shit, found some for 1L:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”