What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

^^ Niiiiiicee. What store did you get them from? My shitty ass staples has neither of those three items.

Naclam
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Naclam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

I got a 173 with a Staples brand pencil. I'm like a Samurai who fights with a twig I guess.

Damn....I didn't know people went this deep with the LSAT (although I remember one friend of mine told me he thought about wearing a diaper so he could shit in his pants during the test).

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

try office depot, if all else fails, amazon will not disappoint.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Naclam wrote:I got a 173 with a Staples brand pencil.


anomaly

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 pm

deputydog wrote:I went HAM at the store tonight. I bought the eraser caps after Dr. Dre's compelling and poignant review. I decided to purchase the black warriors and the tri-writes. I know that the tri-write is a controversial purchase, but I thought that I would give it a try. The warriors circular grip could pose problems. I will report back in a few days with more in-depth comparisons between the tri-writes, black warriors, and the traditional dixon ticonderoga.

Image



Where'd you get them Helix erasers?

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:I went HAM at the store tonight. I bought the eraser caps after Dr. Dre's compelling and poignant review. I decided to purchase the black warriors and the tri-writes. I know that the tri-write is a controversial purchase, but I thought that I would give it a try. The warriors circular grip could pose problems. I will report back in a few days with more in-depth comparisons between the tri-writes, black warriors, and the traditional dixon ticonderoga.

Image



Where'd you get them Helix erasers?


Fred Meyer. It's like a one stop, grocery, outdoor gear, clothes, etc. type of place.

Edit- I'll let you know how those caps work.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby JenDarby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 pm

I regret posting ITT. Pick a pencil guys. Just, pick a pencil.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 pm

deputydog wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:I went HAM at the store tonight. I bought the eraser caps after Dr. Dre's compelling and poignant review. I decided to purchase the black warriors and the tri-writes. I know that the tri-write is a controversial purchase, but I thought that I would give it a try. The warriors circular grip could pose problems. I will report back in a few days with more in-depth comparisons between the tri-writes, black warriors, and the traditional dixon ticonderoga.


Where'd you get them Helix erasers?


Fred Meyer. It's like a one stop, grocery, outdoor gear, clothes, etc. type of place.

Edit- I'll let you know how those caps work.

Fred Meyer hell yeah! I've been there a few times while visiting family in Oregon. Pretty badass.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Never heard of Fred Meyer, so I googled it, and my goal is to go there one day

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Never heard of Fred Meyer, so I googled it, and my goal is to go there one day


We call it Freddies. It pretty much fucking rules. Its like a high end WalMart.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Jeffort » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 am

JenDarby wrote:I regret posting ITT. Pick a pencil guys. Just, pick a pencil.


By posting ITT people are probably helping Dr. Dre earn some pocket $$. He might be trying to use the thread to create pencil anxiety and paranoia so nervous people will buy pencils from him while waiting in line on test day. He'll be the guy walking up and down the check-in line preaching about pencil purity and the only righteous way to a 180 while holding a huge bag of pencils for sale @ $2 each and erasers for $5 each plus an iPad with this thread up on the screen for potential customers to read while they wait.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 am

Jeffort wrote:By posting ITT people are probably helping Dr. Dre earn some pocket $$. He might be trying to use the thread to create pencil anxiety and paranoia so nervous people will buy pencils from him while waiting in line on test day. He'll be the guy walking up and down the check-in line preaching about pencil purity and the only righteous way to a 180 while holding a huge bag of pencils for sale @ $2 each and erasers for $5 each plus an iPad with this thread up on the screen for potential customers to read while they wait.



lol

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am

Dr. Dre wrote:I just obtained the legendary Dixon's Oriole pencil, and this is my review (after the 3 pics)


Image


Image



Image

Strengths: Dixon's Oriole (hereinafter [O]) is much sturdier on the hands than the Ticonderoga. When I write, the [O] is very direct: it writes whatever you want with arrant precision. This pencil is perfect for diagramming conditionals and for utilizing in logic games.

Some flaws: The [O] is slower to write with than the Ticonderoga. Moreover, it is slower to bubble the answers. The attached eraser is not as good as the Ticonderoga's (although it is still pretty good).

Ties: both pencils take the same amount of time to sharpen. Once sharpened, both pencils boast an exquisite point, that, when applied to paper, composes formidable marks to combat the LSAT.

Conclusion: the [O] is perfect for LG and for some parts of LR. I would, however, not use it for RC.



I also obtained the HI-Polymer eraser:



Image


Image



This eraser is one of the best I've used in my entire life. This eraser, equipped with either a Ticonderoga or an Oriole (or both), will aid whatever combatant for GAME DAY.


bump

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?


No. They don't exist. Everything you find in stores will either be a bright pink clear plastic piece-of-shit shaped like a small dildo, or require electricity.

I just brought like 10 pencils instead.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:Anyone know of a quality pencil sharpener that happens to be inexpensive?


No. They don't exist. Everything you find in stores will either be a bright pink clear plastic piece-of-shit shaped like a small dildo, or require electricity.

I just brought like 10 pencils instead.

:lol: Yeah, I've yet to find a solid, cheap sharpener. Have you used the metal pencil sharpeners? The one/two hole version by "Maples" looks alright. I might buy it and post a review on here.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm

haus wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Great thread

anyone have a preference for sharpeners?


A few of my coworkers are fans the Alvin Brass Bullet Pencil Sharpner, but personally I do not find it comfortable to use. I prefer the DUX Glass Inkwell Sharpener, as it fits easily and comfortably in my hand, and the jar captures the shavings until I am ready to dispose of them.

ETA: both of the above have nice blades and can fairly easily produce a nicely sharpened pencil.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm


User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm


Oh snap, didn't see that. Thanks Dre.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby 052220151 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:

Oh snap, didn't see that. Thanks Dre.


Can you or Dre put up a review shortly? I'm in the market for a new sharpener.

NonTradFTW
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby NonTradFTW » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I hope that one day this thread is revealed to be trolling at such an elaborate level that it would be better termed social commentary. I hope that this is not the state of America in 2013. I hope that no one spends more than 10 minutes of their life thinking about their pencil choice. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Dammit, I wish I knew about these Helix white caps before I took the LSAT, those are so damn frosty.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 pm

NonTradFTW wrote:I hope that one day this thread is revealed to be trolling at such an elaborate level that it would be better termed social commentary. I hope that this is not the state of America in 2013. I hope that no one spends more than 10 minutes of their life thinking about their pencil choice. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.



Nah, that's what is wrong with Americuh: not enough critical thinking going on. People don't go in-depth about anything anymore.


Even the most minuscule thing ought to be examined.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

For you guys who want to rely primarily on pencil choice rather than serious prep:


Image (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Oh shit, found some for 1L:

Image




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests