What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
110
32%
Black Ticonderoga
130
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 345

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


Okay cool- Thanks for the advice!


Of course, mate! My pleasure... I'm a nerd and collect pens, so it only makes sense I should be obsessed with finding the right pencil for the LSAT, lol. :D

ngogirl12
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.

User avatar
jagerbom79
Posts: 1148
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:53 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?

ngogirl12
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:40 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?


Yeah, it's very smooth to write with. I have a thing with dark lead, I just prefer it. I love the Staedtlers because it provides darker lead, writes smoothly, that said the erasers aren't very good because of the darkness of the lead. I have one of those white erasers that you can get from Target for $4, 4 in a pack. I know soo bad (but someone left their eraser on a desk and didn't come back for it so I took it!) the eraser works incredibly though better than any other eraser I have ever had. It says HI-POLYMER ERASER on it and in red Pentel.

I like the Black Ticons for when I'm drilling LR types so if I need to erase a question for my LR notebook it is easier to come off. I think the Staetdlers will come in handy with bubbling in though.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:47 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?


So because I am a nerd who loves office supplies, about a week or so ago I went to Staples and bought like 4 different types of pencils to review.

Staedtler Norcia
Palimino Blackwing
Black Ticons
Staedtler Wopex

The Blackwing was pretty much indistinguishable from the Norica to me. I think the lead was a tiny bit softer, because I noticed the point dulling a bit easier. Almost too much. Plus it isn't a true #2, and I don't wanna risk a scoring issue. AND this thing doesn't erase for SHIT.

The Black Ticons-- They're good, but there is no question the Noricas are better. The Ticons are scratchy and just don't glide. It leads me to write a bit more thin and sloppy. It just doesnt feel as sturdy. I still think it is a decent pencil. and if you aren't neurotic it's fine, lol.

Norica was just smooth, creamy, glides across the paper. Dark lead and feels nice in the hand. Does not erase well...Don't use if you plan on erasing in a drill book.

Wopex- REALLY nice. Thick. Writes like the Norica. But, it does not have an eraser. But I use a foam eraser anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't think it is worth the risk to use these on the real test though, but whatever.

ngogirl12
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?


So because I am a nerd who loves office supplies, about a week or so ago I went to Staples and bought like 4 different types of pencils to review.

Staedtler Norcia
Palimino Blackwing
Black Ticons
Staedtler Wopex

The Blackwing was pretty much indistinguishable from the Norica to me. I think the lead was a tiny bit softer, because I noticed the point dulling a bit easier. Almost too much. Plus it isn't a true #2, and I don't wanna risk a scoring issue. AND this thing doesn't erase for SHIT.

The Black Ticons-- They're good, but there is no question the Noricas are better. The Ticons are scratchy and just don't glide. It leads me to write a bit more thin and sloppy. It just doesnt feel as sturdy. I still think it is a decent pencil. and if you aren't neurotic it's fine, lol.

Norica was just smooth, creamy, glides across the paper. Dark lead and feels nice in the hand. Does not erase well...Don't use if you plan on erasing in a drill book.

Wopex- REALLY nice. Thick. Writes like the Norica. But, it does not have an eraser. But I use a foam eraser anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't think it is worth the risk to use these on the real test though, but whatever.


Oh wow, I almost want the Staedtler Wopex now! Where did you get them? I don't know if I can justify buying them after having a pack of 34 though lol.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:12 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?


So because I am a nerd who loves office supplies, about a week or so ago I went to Staples and bought like 4 different types of pencils to review.

Staedtler Norcia
Palimino Blackwing
Black Ticons
Staedtler Wopex

The Blackwing was pretty much indistinguishable from the Norica to me. I think the lead was a tiny bit softer, because I noticed the point dulling a bit easier. Almost too much. Plus it isn't a true #2, and I don't wanna risk a scoring issue. AND this thing doesn't erase for SHIT.

The Black Ticons-- They're good, but there is no question the Noricas are better. The Ticons are scratchy and just don't glide. It leads me to write a bit more thin and sloppy. It just doesnt feel as sturdy. I still think it is a decent pencil. and if you aren't neurotic it's fine, lol.

Norica was just smooth, creamy, glides across the paper. Dark lead and feels nice in the hand. Does not erase well...Don't use if you plan on erasing in a drill book.

Wopex- REALLY nice. Thick. Writes like the Norica. But, it does not have an eraser. But I use a foam eraser anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't think it is worth the risk to use these on the real test though, but whatever.


Oh wow, I almost want the Staedtler Wopex now! Where did you get them? I don't know if I can justify buying them after having a pack of 34 though lol.


Lmao. I bought them offline... Try one and see how you like it before you invest. I swear to god they feel so comfortable. They're bigger and easier to write with. Balanced perfectly. I use them interchangeably with the Noricas. I think they are like .40 cents or something each online.

ngogirl12
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ngogirl12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


I'm with Barack on this one (thanks for the awesome pencil review!). I love love LOVE the dark lead of the Staedtler Noricas, but the tip can get dull pretty quickly. What I plan on doing on test day is: bring 5-10 Staedtler Noricas and 3-5 Black Ticon pencils. The Black Ticon when sharpened has a sharp tip which stays, but the lead is lighter than the Black Ticon.


Nice, I might have to try the Staedtler. Why do you prefer them just because the lead is darker? - you don't have to write as hard?


So because I am a nerd who loves office supplies, about a week or so ago I went to Staples and bought like 4 different types of pencils to review.

Staedtler Norcia
Palimino Blackwing
Black Ticons
Staedtler Wopex

The Blackwing was pretty much indistinguishable from the Norica to me. I think the lead was a tiny bit softer, because I noticed the point dulling a bit easier. Almost too much. Plus it isn't a true #2, and I don't wanna risk a scoring issue. AND this thing doesn't erase for SHIT.

The Black Ticons-- They're good, but there is no question the Noricas are better. The Ticons are scratchy and just don't glide. It leads me to write a bit more thin and sloppy. It just doesnt feel as sturdy. I still think it is a decent pencil. and if you aren't neurotic it's fine, lol.

Norica was just smooth, creamy, glides across the paper. Dark lead and feels nice in the hand. Does not erase well...Don't use if you plan on erasing in a drill book.

Wopex- REALLY nice. Thick. Writes like the Norica. But, it does not have an eraser. But I use a foam eraser anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. I don't think it is worth the risk to use these on the real test though, but whatever.


Oh wow, I almost want the Staedtler Wopex now! Where did you get them? I don't know if I can justify buying them after having a pack of 34 though lol.


Lmao. I bought them offline... Try one and see how you like it before you invest. I swear to god they feel so comfortable. They're bigger and easier to write with. Balanced perfectly. I use them interchangeably with the Noricas. I think they are like .40 cents or something each online.


Yeah, maybe I'll do that when I buy the 70s. I still have to buy 75-78 online, really wish we could get those in pdf form.. Did you get them through the Amazon or Staples website?

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 am

Amazon should have the Wopexs. Worst case you're out 40 cents and never use them again. I just like how solid they feel. It is such a minor thing, but as soon as you realize how much small stuff can matter, little qualities become a game changer. I do admit it is a little sad to care this much about pencils, but .. I could be into worse things. Like drugs :lol:

ngogirl12
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ngogirl12 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Amazon should have the Wopexs. Worst case you're out 40 cents and never use them again. I just like how solid they feel. It is such a minor thing, but as soon as you realize how much small stuff can matter, little qualities become a game changer. I do admit it is a little sad to care this much about pencils, but .. I could be into worse things. Like drugs :lol:


Haha I know exactly how you feel re: pencils, I feel the same way! I have my own process I use during drilling, and probably will have a similar process in PTing except with the darker lead pencils.

Yeah I think it's safe to say we're all addicted to the LSAT at this point lol. And yes, being addicted to pencils and the LSAT is minor compared to the alternatives lmao :P

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Here you go, an eraser made specifically for scantron exams!

http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Mark-Shee ... r/pd/13386

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:33 pm

haus wrote:Here you go, an eraser made specifically for scantron exams!

http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Mark-Shee ... r/pd/13386


Yes. Nice. Definitely ordering this baby. Just have to make sure to remove the sleeve to be LSAC official for the test. :wink:

Thank you :)

TrunksFan1
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby TrunksFan1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:42 pm

I love the Palomino HBs, but felt like the erasers were lacking. I want to try the Mitsubishi uni HBs, but they don't have erasers :(

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:13 am

TrunksFan1 wrote:I love the Palomino HBs, but felt like the erasers were lacking. I want to try the Mitsubishi uni HBs, but they don't have erasers :(

Go ahead give the Hi-Uni a try, it is a really nice pencil. Besides,getting a nice foam eraser (or maybe the scantron test eraser mentioned above) is the way to go for a scantron test anyway, on the off chance that you need to make some large scale changes quickly.

User avatar
trontastic
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby trontastic » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Stumbling across a 3+ year old thread about differing opinions on pencil quality is why I love TLS <3

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Reading the Coffee thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=248026

Makes me feel better about my sanity for posting here in the pencil thread.

Rogah
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Rogah » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Is the paper in the PrepTest books an acceptable "test bed" for the performance of pencils and erasers in actual test booklets? My concern here is more with annotations and diagrams rather than Scantron answers. --But I won't refuse to read comments about whether PrepTest answer sheets are realistic w/r pencils and erasers.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:43 pm

Rogah wrote:Is the paper in the PrepTest books an acceptable "test bed" for the performance of pencils and erasers in actual test booklets? My concern here is more with annotations and diagrams rather than Scantron answers. --But I won't refuse to read comments about whether PrepTest answer sheets are realistic w/r pencils and erasers.



Yeah, dude! That is exactly what I tested my pencils on... The sharpness of Ticons and the thin paper in the test booklets was a big reason I began using Staedtler Noricas which are comprised of much softer lead. Soft n' buttery lead makes filling in those bubble easier/quicker and the lead glides across the paper.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Rogah wrote:Is the paper in the PrepTest books an acceptable "test bed" for the performance of pencils and erasers in actual test booklets? My concern here is more with annotations and diagrams rather than Scantron answers. --But I won't refuse to read comments about whether PrepTest answer sheets are realistic w/r pencils and erasers.



Yeah, dude! That is exactly what I tested my pencils on... The sharpness of Ticons and the thin paper in the test booklets was a big reason I began using Staedtler Noricas which are comprised of much softer lead. Soft n' buttery lead makes filling in those bubble easier/quicker and the lead glides across the paper.

I think that it is close, although I seem to recall that the test paper was a bit thinner. The first time I took the test, I did not have a good eraser with me, and when I realized I made a bubbling mistake and needed to redo a big section I nearly wore a hole in the test sheet (although my increased anxiety level may have played a role).

Rogah
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Rogah » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Do any of you monomaniacs have comments on Mitsu-bishi's 9850 HB vs. its Hi Uni HB, other than that the latter lacks an eraser?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Rogah wrote:Do any of you monomaniacs have comments on Mitsu-bishi's 9850 HB vs. its Hi Uni HB, other than that the latter lacks an eraser?

I have both on my office desk (although I am sitting in an airport waiting for my flight so they are not readily accessible). The 9850 is a lower cost/mainstream office pencil, I think it is nicer than most pencils you will commonly see if office supply stores here in the States. But the Hi-Uni is a nicer experience, fit and finish get more attention, and the lead is noticeably smoother.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:44 pm

haus wrote:
Rogah wrote:Do any of you monomaniacs have comments on Mitsu-bishi's 9850 HB vs. its Hi Uni HB, other than that the latter lacks an eraser?

I have both on my office desk (although I am sitting in an airport waiting for my flight so they are not readily accessible). The 9850 is a lower cost/mainstream office pencil, I think it is nicer than most pencils you will commonly see if office supply stores here in the States. But the Hi-Uni is a nicer experience, fit and finish get more attention, and the lead is noticeably smoother.


My grandpa was a fan of them. I have some old memories of using them to doodle growing up, but I haven't ever used them for a test. I've heard they are pretty good.

Also, haha, monomaniacs.... Yeah, that's me when it comes to shit like this :lol:

Rogah
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Rogah » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:27 pm

I like the Palomino Blackwing 602, but I'm concerned that an insane proctor might say "no" because it has no "2" or "HB" marking. I even emailed the company -- that's how insane I am -- but the reply says only that the pencil can be used for standardized testing. Am I worrying too much?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:10 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of references to yellow and black pencils but no white. What, are y'all a bunch of pencil racists or something? :P

For the last year or so, I have been enjoying the Blackwing Pearl as my primary day to day pencil.

http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwi ... 2/pd/10746

While in my experience the smoothness is a touch less than that of the Hi-Uni HB's, I like output, and feel/finish of the Pearl.

I have also been using the orange replacement erasers, more because they stand out and help me identify which of the Blackwing Pearl pencils around the office belong to me.

http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwi ... ls/ct/3025

I did not use this for the LSAT, and it is not a #2/HB, If memory serves this would be darker than the Blackwing 602, which is also not #2/HB). As others have said on this thread, it is unlikely that this would matter with a modern scantron reader. Although there may still be a infinitesimal risk of the system not recognizing the markings, and a slightly higher chance that a hyper obnoxious proctor might make a fuss for having a pencil not labeled as #2/HB.

Rogah
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Rogah » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm starting to think I may use two kinds of pencils, one for game diagrams and the writing sample (#2 -- stay sharp!), and another for the Scantron (HB -- dull and dark). I suppose this would be OK if I bubble two booklet pages worth of questions at a time so I'm not switching too often.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, BOSStongrl, DumbHollywoodActor, poptart123, The_Pluviophile, tuesdayninja, WeightliftingThinker and 16 guests