What #2 Pencil Should I use?

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
111
32%
Black Ticonderoga
131
38%
Tri-conderoga
22
6%
Blackwing 602
15
4%
Black Mirado Warrior
35
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
2
1%
General's Semi-Hex
5
1%
Palomino HB
13
4%
Other (post ITT what it is)
13
4%
 
Total votes: 347

sjp200
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby sjp200 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:35 pm

haus wrote:
sjp200 wrote:If you don't use a black, presharpened Ticondy, you may as well marry your cousin and leave the country in shame

This is a nice pencil, but it is not as nice as several of those discussed in this thread, such as the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or the Tombow Mono.


American pencils bruh

mscrew
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby mscrew » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 am

Has anyone actually used a Blackwing on test day? I want to, but the fact that it isn't #2 is really freaking me out.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:06 am

mscrew wrote:Has anyone actually used a Blackwing on test day? I want to, but the fact that it isn't #2 is really freaking me out.

I have them but I would not risk it. Just go with the black Ticon. However, if you've never used black Ticon before, I would recommend cranking out at least a few PTs with them to make sure you're comfortable.

Seriously don't switch into something different right before the exam.

newcareernewtown
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby newcareernewtown » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 am

sjp200 wrote:
haus wrote:
sjp200 wrote:If you don't use a black, presharpened Ticondy, you may as well marry your cousin and leave the country in shame

This is a nice pencil, but it is not as nice as several of those discussed in this thread, such as the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or the Tombow Mono.


American pencils bruh


Purchasing a pencil just because it's American is almost as dumb as purchasing a car just because it's German. :lol:

Here is a link to a picture summarizing the different sorts of pencil graphite (can't post pics yet):
http://pencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/lead_grade_swatches-11.jpg

Palomino 2B's produce softer, darker lead that is easier to erase than HB. HB was what test companies recommended because of antiquated machines that would read the test sheets by shining a light through them. Thus, harder/lighter lead wouldn't show, and softer/darker lead would smear all over the page.

I imagine you could use a crayola marker and have the same results today. It's about comfort and ease of erasure, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: For the record, I used Haus' recommendation for December, and think it contributed to eliminating the third game cold. There is something to be said for confidence in your ninja sword.

sjp200
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby sjp200 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 am

newcareernewtown wrote:
sjp200 wrote:
haus wrote:
sjp200 wrote:If you don't use a black, presharpened Ticondy, you may as well marry your cousin and leave the country in shame

This is a nice pencil, but it is not as nice as several of those discussed in this thread, such as the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or the Tombow Mono.


American pencils bruh


Purchasing a pencil just because it's American is almost as dumb as purchasing a car just because it's German. :lol:

Here is a link to a picture summarizing the different sorts of pencil graphite (can't post pics yet):
http://pencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/lead_grade_swatches-11.jpg

Palomino 2B's produce softer, darker lead that is easier to erase than HB. HB was what test companies recommended because of antiquated machines that would read the test sheets by shining a light through them. Thus, harder/lighter lead wouldn't show, and softer/darker lead would smear all over the page.

I imagine you could use a crayola marker and have the same results today. It's about comfort and ease of erasure, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: For the record, I used Haus' recommendation for December, and think it contributed to eliminating the third game cold. There is something to be said for confidence in your ninja sword.

I'd imagine Germans are encouraged to buy German cars the same way Americans are encouraged to buy American muscle... Commie

User avatar
Replitz
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Replitz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 am

What's the difference between the Black ticonderogas and the regulars? At the store the blacks were more expensive for fewer pencils but I couldn't find any specific difference, other than the color obviously.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:57 am

Replitz wrote:What's the difference between the Black ticonderogas and the regulars? At the store the blacks were more expensive for fewer pencils but I couldn't find any specific difference, other than the color obviously.


They are a bit softer, which I think makes them easier to bubbling. Also there is the satin-touch finish. I think that aids with grip a bit. And, of course, aesthetics.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby maybeman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Replitz wrote:of course, aesthetics.


+1

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:49 pm

So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

I compared it to the Ticonderoga Black #2, and I really have to say I prefer the Staedtler Norica much more.
The Norica just writes more smoothly and I think it does a better job of keeping its point. It also has a more sturdy feel. I think that it has bit more weight to it. Balanced just right!

I did like 6 logic games with the Norica and it still was sharp when I was done.

The only downside is that I think the Ticonderoga Blacks are a bit easier to erase. So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

To sum it up, I think the Staedtler Norica feels like it glides on the paper, whereas the Ticons scratched. You can even hear the difference in how smooth the Norica writes. I think this is the main differences and lends the Norica to being the better for test taking. It felt easier to write neater with and easier to bubble in with.

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10

Image
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ayylmao
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby ayylmao » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

I compared it to the Ticonderoga Black #2, and I really have to say I prefer the Staedtler Norica much more.
The Norica just writes more smoothly and I think it does a better job of keeping its point. It also has a more sturdy feel. I think that it has bit more weight to it. Balanced just right!

I did like 6 logic games with the Norica and it still was sharp when I was done.

The only downside is that I think the Ticonderoga Blacks are a bit easier to erase. So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10

YASSSS as soon as I saw this thread was resurrected I dipped in to say this. I have a pack of black ticons sitting in my desk now and let me tell you they are some ASS. White Noricas lose their point very easily, they make much darker marks than the ticons and feel much fuller in the hand. I practically ran back to Staples after breaking out the ticons for the first time.

BLACK TICONS ARE STRAIGHT ASS COME AT ME HATERS

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote: So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

Having and using a good eraser is useful regardless of your pencil choice.

I have become a big fan of the foam erasers, such as:

http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-St ... ad/pd/6736

http://www.jetpens.com/Sakura-Foam-Eraser-W-60/pd/11532

-or-

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Foam-Erase ... 10/pd/2526

While I think all three of the above are really good erasers I personally think the Sakura has a slightly nicer feel, although the Pilot seems to be easier to find.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 pm

ayylmao wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

I compared it to the Ticonderoga Black #2, and I really have to say I prefer the Staedtler Norica much more.
The Norica just writes more smoothly and I think it does a better job of keeping its point. It also has a more sturdy feel. I think that it has bit more weight to it. Balanced just right!

I did like 6 logic games with the Norica and it still was sharp when I was done.

The only downside is that I think the Ticonderoga Blacks are a bit easier to erase. So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10

YASSSS as soon as I saw this thread was resurrected I dipped in to say this. I have a pack of black ticons sitting in my desk now and let me tell you they are some ASS. White Noricas lose their point very easily, they make much darker marks than the ticons and feel much fuller in the hand. I practically ran back to Staples after breaking out the ticons for the first time.

BLACK TICONS ARE STRAIGHT ASS COME AT ME HATERS



Hahaha! Yeah exactly! Also, I don't feel like having a sharp point is as advantageous as the comfort and overall quality of the writing you get with Noricas.

Also, LMAO at the bolded :lol: Noricas for life!

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby zeglo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 pm

I used pre-sharpened Ticonderogas (sharpened later with a small sharpener) with a Pink Pearl eraser.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:26 pm

haus wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote: So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

Having and using a good eraser is useful regardless of your pencil choice.

I have become a big fan of the foam erasers, such as:

http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-St ... ad/pd/6736

http://www.jetpens.com/Sakura-Foam-Eraser-W-60/pd/11532

-or-

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Foam-Erase ... 10/pd/2526

While I think all three of the above are really good erasers I personally think the Sakura has a slightly nicer feel, although the Pilot seems to be easier to find.



Good point! A good eraser seems like a must have for any pencil. I have a couple of the those pink cheaper ones, and think I am going to get a good one tomorrow. I guess I can always order the sakura online, it is surprisingly affordable! Thank you :D

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 pm

zeglo wrote:I used pre-sharpened Ticonderogas (sharpened later with a small sharpener) with a Pink Pearl eraser.



How did you like them? I was using the regular Ticons and Ticon Blacks for a bit before I switched. I think they get the job done just fine. I'm sort of a nerd for office supplies and collect pens and Moleskine books, so I figured for the LSAT I would indulge my hobby and look into specialized pencils, lol. I know it is kind of lame. I think it matters as much as you let it.

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby zeglo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
zeglo wrote:I used pre-sharpened Ticonderogas (sharpened later with a small sharpener) with a Pink Pearl eraser.



How did you like them? I was using the regular Ticons and Ticon Blacks for a bit before I switched. I think they get the job done just fine. I'm sort of a nerd for office supplies and collect pens and Moleskine books, so I figured for the LSAT I would indulge my hobby and look into specialized pencils, lol. I know it is kind of lame. I think it matters as much as you let it.


They worked quite well. The pre-sharpened Ticongeroda packs have at least 10 or so pencils in them. I actually used three different packs throughout studying and taking the test, but that was fine. I coupled with that a mini pencil sharpener for my desk, as well as a second one I carried in the bag. The pink pearl I did not need much at the end, but it was useful in "deep learning" phases. Also, I studied and used supplies directly out of a gallon bag, just like I would with the real LSAT. Also the regular pencils have great erasers, so a separate eraser is not really needed unless you want to erase a large game or something.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 am

Zeglo,

I think that 'the regular pencils have great erasers' is an overstatement. I think that these do not live up to the level of a good hi-polymer eraser (such as the Pentel that is widely available), and both of these fall short of a good foam eraser.

But, you are right, if you do not make many mistakes the need is not high (or if you write small enough that running low on room is not a concern). Sadly, I use mine more than I care to admit.

MyNameIsntJames
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:56 am

This thread is the living embodiment of the idea of overthinking lmao.

User avatar
jagerbom79
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 pm

I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?

Part of the issue is how one handles a pencil, practice with a wooden pencil, specifically making minor adjustments in position, angle, and rotation, can extend the life of the point.

Also, some pencils do better than others at holding up. Of course, the grade of pencil can make a difference, but the test calls for #2 (aka HB), but even within this grade some pencils have different characteristics. My personal favorite HB for a nice mixture of feel, writing, and point longevity is the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni Pencil - HB (available from JetPens.com). But there are quite of few more mainstream pencils that others have had good success with.

User avatar
jagerbom79
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 pm

haus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?

Part of the issue is how one handles a pencil, practice with a wooden pencil, specifically making minor adjustments in position, angle, and rotation, can extend the life of the point.

Also, some pencils do better than others at holding up. Of course, the grade of pencil can make a difference, but the test calls for #2 (aka HB), but even within this grade some pencils have different characteristics. My personal favorite HB for a nice mixture of feel, writing, and point longevity is the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni Pencil - HB (available from JetPens.com). But there are quite of few more mainstream pencils that others have had good success with.


So would all HB #2 pencil lead deteriorate at the same rate, and longevity comes down to how aggressive I am with the pencil lol? And thus, different pencil models within the HB #2 category are just for feel and not necessarily the lead?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby haus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:34 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:So would all HB #2 pencil lead deteriorate at the same rate, and longevity comes down to how aggressive I am with the pencil lol? And thus, different pencil models within the HB #2 category are just for feel and not necessarily the lead.

The scale system is very loose. Different companies HB/#2 vary quite a bit, sometimes you can see variations from the same company in different lines of pencils. So there can be a significant variation in how quickly a point can wear down from one pencil line to another even if the 'aggressiveness' of the writer is the same.

You might be interested in this article discussing the grading.

http://pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale/

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:17 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.

User avatar
jagerbom79
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?


The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.


Okay cool- Thanks for the advice!

User avatar
BruiseWillis
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Postby BruiseWillis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

Read through this entire thread, decided to try out the Palomino HB and got really excited, then realized they are sold out everywhere...

I feel heartbroken :cry:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], earldasquirel, jackstraw92, Tomthecat, xtremenite and 9 guests