What #2 Pencil Should I use? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
33%
Black Ticonderoga
37%
Tri-conderoga
6%
Blackwing 602
5%
Black Mirado Warrior
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
1%
General's Semi-Hex
1%
Palomino HB
3%
Other (post ITT what it is)
3%

Total votes: 375

objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I use whatever yellow pencils the office stocks. Works fine.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 am

I have a story. It's a bit sad at times, but has a happy ending.

I bought some Mirado Black Warriors earlier this week. I was in Rite Aid... and it just felt right. Adding to this sentiment... I saw they were ALREADY SHARPENED IN THE PACKAGE.

Now, I'm not one to get overly excited. But when I saw that, I just lost it. MIRADO WAS LOOKING OUT FOR ME. I HAD NO SHARPENER.

I start using it, and I go on this thread just to confirm what a great purchase it was. And then sure enough.... I see that the Mirado Black Warriors that are made in China are sub-par. Not the lead, but the erasers. Ah, no problem. I'm in America, there's no way that my pencils are made in China.

I check the packaging. "MADE IN CHINA" it says.

HOW THE FUCK DO I GET A 180 IN A MONTH WITH CHINESE PENCILS?!

Sure enough, I try the pencils out. The erasers aren't awful, but I'd rate them 7 out of 10 or so.

7 out of 10 is 70th percentile. That's like a fucking 160 on this test.

Desperate for answers, I go to Amazon and am about to order some Black Ticonderogas. I tell a fellow LSATer about my predicament, and he offers me some extra Black Ticonderogas. Success. Everything is going to be okay.

tl;dr- bought Chinese Mirado Black Warriors, erasers aren't perfect, got Black Ticonderogas.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu May 09, 2013 12:30 am

My Black Warriors are made in Mexico. I know they will come through for me.

ETA: so are my black ticons. Noice.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Daily_Double wrote: Also, something to keep in mind for those of you taking in October, any gains that you may achieve by selecting, and toiling over the selection of, your future pencil, are likely much less than the benefits of drilling any question type in LR for two hours or less.
Yes, this is important to know.

But that doesn't mean pencil choice doesn't matter at all .
What happened to your avatar? Who is that of? What happened to DRE?!?!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote: HOW THE FUCK DO I GET A 180 IN A MONTH WITH CHINESE PENCILS?!

Sure enough, I try the pencils out. The erasers aren't awful, but I'd rate them 7 out of 10 or so.

That's even worse than you think. 70th percentile is 157. That's one FIFTY seven. FIFTY!!! Not talkin' about 70. Or 60. FIFTY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:I have a story. It's a bit sad at times, but has a happy ending.

I bought some Mirado Black Warriors earlier this week. I was in Rite Aid... and it just felt right. Adding to this sentiment... I saw they were ALREADY SHARPENED IN THE PACKAGE.

Now, I'm not one to get overly excited. But when I saw that, I just lost it. MIRADO WAS LOOKING OUT FOR ME. I HAD NO SHARPENER.

I start using it, and I go on this thread just to confirm what a great purchase it was. And then sure enough.... I see that the Mirado Black Warriors that are made in China are sub-par. Not the lead, but the erasers. Ah, no problem. I'm in America, there's no way that my pencils are made in China.

Desperate for answers, I go to Amazon and am about to order some Black Ticonderogas. I tell a fellow LSATer about my predicament, and he offers me some extra Black Ticonderogas. Success. Everything is going to be okay.

tl;dr- bought Chinese Mirado Black Warriors, erasers aren't perfect, got Black Ticonderogas.
Black Ticonderogas are a major downgrade from Mirado Black Warriors (of any origin), but enjoy.

7/10 also is not arguably 70th percentile. That presumes that pencil ratings fall across a normal distribution. It is arguably a skewed distribution, where the majority of pencils fall at or below 5/10.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote: HOW THE FUCK DO I GET A 180 IN A MONTH WITH CHINESE PENCILS?!

That's even worse than you think. 70th percentile is 157. That's one FIFTY seven. FIFTY!!! Not talkin' about 70. Or 60. FIFTY.
The erasers on Mirado Black Warriors are 7/10. Therefore, I will get a 157 on the LSAT.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Most people that use Mirado Black Warriors take the LSAT.
B. LSAC is not a proponent of Mirado Black Warriors
C. The subjective quality of erasers of Mirado Black Warriors used for the LSAT are a perfect prediction for the actual score on the test.
D. If one gets a 157 on the LSAT, they used Mirado Black Warriors.
E. Only those with a 157 go to Cooley

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:I have a story. It's a bit sad at times, but has a happy ending.

Black Ticonderogas are a major downgrade from Mirado Black Warriors (of any origin), but enjoy.

7/10 also is not arguably 70th percentile. That presumes that pencil ratings fall across a normal distribution. It is arguably a skewed distribution, where the majority of pencils fall at or below 5/10.
NOTED

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A. Most people that use Mirado Black Warriors take the LSAT.
B. LSAC is not a proponent of Mirado Black Warriors
C. The subjective quality of erasers of Mirado Black Warriors used for the LSAT are a perfect prediction for the actual score on the test.
D. If one gets a 157 on the LSAT, they used Mirado Black Warriors.
E. Only those with a 157 go to Cooley
Answer is C

(I'm running out of fresh prep material/LR questions to practice with :/ so these made up questions are refreshing)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Random pencil update!

I am loving the Palomino HBs. Maybe even more than the Palomino Blackwing 602s. Definitely my test day pencil (knock on wood.. or pencils); just bought an extra pack so I'd be *sure* they'd arrive on time (I'm burning through my first pack; that Kum long-point sharpener produces a mighty fine point [I'm addicted to it], but it sure eats up a lot of pencil).

Anyway. In case any of you dweebs care. Cheaper than the 602s, and the best test pencil I've tried yet.
Better than the 602's? Damn. Right now I only have the Golden Bear and the Black Blackwing sharpened. Is the one you're talking about the blue one? I think that's the one I'll be going to battle with on game day since it's HB aka scantron acceptable.
Yep, the blue ones (they're also made in orange). Golden Bear doesn't compare.
Yeah, I think the HBs and the 602s are a really close call. I go back and forth. If I could only take one, I'd probably take the HBs. I might get another box in orange. The Kum Long Point is definitely the best sharpener I've ever used. I also just got some some extra old school pink erasers for the 602s:

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 4:07 am

I recently ordered the 602's for the OCT retake.

Also, I have been using this pencil:

It's called the England Derwent Graphic HB pencil. I bought it in my campus bookstore. So far it has been excellent. My only complaint is that it doesn't have an attached eraser.

mystikal

New

Post by mystikal » Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 am

Would you lend some ignorant individual whom failed to follow the instructions one of your high quality pencils?
I would love to see some response's

My answer..."No, I don't have any extra's"
even though I will be bringing 10
BTW I use:
Black Ticonderoga-one for each LG, LR, RC
Tri-conderoga- For writing portion

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 pm

mystikal wrote:Would you lend some ignorant individual whom failed to follow the instructions one of your high quality pencils?

BTW I use:
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bring a couple spare pencils in case someone asks for one (the person with fifteen pencils in front of them who refuses to lend one always looks like a dick). But not my fancy pencils, will probably bring a couple of my Mirados. Although I should really just bring the giant pack of yellow Ticonderogas that are eternally sitting on my desk and shall ne'er again be touched. Or the random black Ticonderogas that are still cluttering my pencil case and reminding me of my past foolish pencil-choosing ways.

I've thought about this way too much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mystikal

New

Post by mystikal » Fri May 10, 2013 1:52 pm

mystikal wrote:Would you lend some ignorant individual whom failed to follow the instructions one of your high quality pencils?

BTW I use:
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bring a couple spare pencils in case someone asks for one (the person with fifteen pencils in front of them who refuses to lend one always looks like a dick). But not my fancy pencils, will probably bring a couple of my Mirados. Although I should really just bring the giant pack of yellow Ticonderogas that are eternally sitting on my desk and shall ne'er again be touched. Or the random black Ticonderogas that are still cluttering my pencil case and reminding me of my past foolish pencil-choosing ways.

Smart tactic, giving the least fortunate the shitty pencils. I might as well bring in my mechanical pencils as "extras" and give them to someone who needs them on the test
Furthermore, It seems like you have a pencil addiction

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 pm

mystikal wrote:

BTW I use:

Smart tactic, giving the least fortunate the shitty pencils. I might as well bring in my mechanical pencils as "extras" and give them to someone who needs them on the test
Furthermore, It seems like you have a pencil addiction
Less mentally fortunate test takers probably wouldn't know the difference between a ticonderoga and a palomino, but it seems mean to sabotage them with a prohibited mechanical pencil.
After all, the less mentally fortunate test takers aren't going for your scholarship.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm

What type of eraser will you TLS'rs bring to the June LSAT?

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 pm

So i was all good to go to buy these Black Ticos...

Then i read these reviews on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Ticonderoga ... Descending

The reviews state the quality has gone down................... Is diz seller ripping people off? Or is this trueeee?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Just ordered the Palomino HB Blue eraser tipped pencils from amazon with the kum long point sharpener... im coming from the Ticonderoga Blacks, hopefully the jump will be a nice change.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Mon May 13, 2013 11:37 pm

mvonh001 wrote:Just ordered the Palomino HB Blue eraser tipped pencils from amazon with the kum long point sharpener... im coming from the Ticonderoga Blacks, hopefully the jump will be a nice change.
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, BROTHER.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I recently ordered the 602's for the OCT retake.

Also, I have been using this pencil:

It's called the England Derwent Graphic HB pencil. I bought it in my campus bookstore. So far it has been excellent. My only complaint is that it doesn't have an attached eraser.
I can't do without an eraser man. I'm still TTToo fucking slow on the LGs. Have to save every second. My analyTTTical skills are so TTT.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 pm

TLS: Which pencil has the best eraser? I suck so much at LGs that I still need close the full 35 mins to do them. I can't afford to pick up a eraser. I'll need the best eraser that a pencil can provide.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 am

ManoftheHour wrote:TLS: Which pencil has the best eraser? I suck so much at LGs that I still need close the full 35 mins to do them. I can't afford to pick up a eraser. I'll need the best eraser that a pencil can provide.
Have you done any tests to see if a eraser topper is faster than a detached eraser? Also, I don't think you can really replicate the quality found in the detached kind, and you don't want to risk smudges or tearing your scantron.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 am

ManoftheHour wrote:TLS: Which pencil has the best eraser? I suck so much at LGs that I still need close the full 35 mins to do them. I can't afford to pick up a eraser. I'll need the best eraser that a pencil can provide.
You're playing with fire bro.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 pm

rebexness wrote:
Have you done any tests to see if a eraser topper is faster than a detached eraser? Also, I don't think you can really replicate the quality found in the detached kind, and you don't want to risk smudges or tearing your scantron.
I use the Sanford Magic Rub for my scantron. I don't think I'll be doing any erasing on my scantron, especially for the LG section. But on the actual test booklet, I find that it helps to have a good eraser on your pencil for the games. If you make a mistake or for a situation for some hypo questions, especially at the end of the section, I find that it's much faster to just flip your pencil and erase than have to put your pencil down and grab an eraser.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
rebexness wrote:
I use the Sanford Magic Rub for my scantron. I don't think I'll be doing any erasing on my scantron, especially for the LG section. But on the actual test booklet, I find that it helps to have a good eraser on your pencil for the games. If you make a mistake or for a situation for some hypo questions, especially at the end of the section, I find that it's much faster to just flip your pencil and erase than have to put your pencil down and grab an eraser.
Don't put the pencil down, just use your pencil hand to hold the paper down and erase with your other hand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”