What #2 Pencil Should I use? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
33%
Black Ticonderoga
37%
Tri-conderoga
6%
Blackwing 602
5%
Black Mirado Warrior
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
1%
General's Semi-Hex
1%
Palomino HB
3%
Other (post ITT what it is)
3%

Total votes: 375

SteelPenguin

Silver

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Loaded wrote:
Ditch the Ticonderogas and Triconderogas. Try some Palomino HBs and Mirado Black Warriors. HTH
What I least like about Ticonderogas and other "standard" yellow #2 pencils is the diameter. Dixon and many other mass produced pencils use a smaller diameter barrel than premium brands like Palomino, Mitsubishi, Tombow, Faber, etc. Visually it's hard to see the difference, but you can definitely feel the larger barrel of a premium pencil when your holding it. Personally, after sitting and writing for an extended period of time, the larger barrel pencil results in much less hand & finger strain.
This doesn't apply to the Triconderoga though. They have a very thick, comfortable barrel.

keener123

New

Post by keener123 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:49 pm

thanks for the info, I was just about to open a new thread to ask about pencils when I remembered the search function

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:10 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Loaded wrote:
Ditch the Ticonderogas and Triconderogas. Try some Palomino HBs and Mirado Black Warriors. HTH
What I least like about Ticonderogas and other "standard" yellow #2 pencils is the diameter. Dixon and many other mass produced pencils use a smaller diameter barrel than premium brands like Palomino, Mitsubishi, Tombow, Faber, etc. Visually it's hard to see the difference, but you can definitely feel the larger barrel of a premium pencil when your holding it. Personally, after sitting and writing for an extended period of time, the larger barrel pencil results in much less hand & finger strain.
This doesn't apply to the Triconderoga though. They have a very thick, comfortable barrel.
A girthy black stick is essential for LSAT domination.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 pm

rebexness wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Loaded wrote:
A girthy black stick is essential for LSAT domination.
Absolutely. Can't risk having your hand cramp up or worry about breaking the tip off of some flimsy pencil.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:40 pm

One week into using Mirados and I have to say I am a little disappointed.

Mirados:
1.) Did I skip the point where someone mentioned they are ROUND?
2.) They are very soft. Good for LR, great for RC, not so good for LG. With RC, by the time I am done with the questions, the tip is PERFECT for bubbling. This works well for LR too, then. But the fat bubbling tip annoys me to no end with LG.
3.) Not a huge fan of the eraser, as it does not seem to erase.

I've also been using the Kum longpoint sharpener, and that gets a little bit of a better review EXCEPT lead has gotten stuck in it three times. Sharpening during the test is TTT, but does anyone thing the proctors would get mad if I bring a toothpick to fish out the lead during break just in case???

I should get my paycheck tomorrow so I'm ordering some Palomino Graphites and...some 602s. Super saver shipping, so expect another review in like three weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 pm

scoobers wrote:One week into using Mirados and I have to say I am a little disappointed.

Mirados:
2.) They are very soft. Good for LR, great for RC, not so good for LG. With RC, by the time I am done with the questions, the tip is PERFECT for bubbling. This works well for LR too, then. But the fat bubbling tip annoys me to no end with LG.

I've also been using the Kum longpoint sharpener, and that gets a little bit of a better review EXCEPT lead has gotten stuck in it three times. Sharpening during the test is TTT, but does anyone thing the proctors would get mad if I bring a toothpick to fish out the lead during break just in case???

I should get my paycheck tomorrow so I'm ordering some Palomino Graphites and...some 602s. Super saver shipping, so expect another review in like three weeks.
Finally someone who doesn't buy into the Mirado Warrior nonsense. Just save yourself some time and go with Ticonderoga. People love to hate the guy in first place.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 pm

P.S. Fun fact: when scrolling through the "customers also bought" section, there is PT 66, 63, 62, 67, 64, 68, 69, SuperPrep, and the LSAT Trainer. Needless to say, none of those show up on the TTTTT pencils.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:44 am

scoobers wrote:P.S. Fun fact: when scrolling through the "customers also bought" section, there is PT 66, 63, 62, 67, 64, 68, 69, SuperPrep, and the LSAT Trainer. Needless to say, none of those show up on the TTTTT pencils.
TLS is driving Amazon's pencil business.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:54 am

Guys, why don't we just make our own pencils?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 am

Sinatra wrote:Guys, why don't we just make our own pencils?
Why didn't we think of this sooner? It's too close to test day now to change.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:09 pm

jlb251 wrote:
scoobers wrote:One week into using Mirados and I have to say I am a little disappointed.

Mirados:

Finally someone who doesn't buy into the Mirado Warrior nonsense. Just save yourself some time and go with Ticonderoga. People love to hate the guy in first place.
Well, I'm still going to try some Palomino Graphites. I was using my sister's regular ticos from the SAT, and I have to say like half of hers the lead was broken on the inside.

I also wanted to update that the KUM Longpoint sharpener is OFFICIALLY TTTTTTT for me. I swear to God lead gets stuck in that damn thing like every other pencil I sharpen, and the holder isn't large enough to hold any shavings, so I have to empty it out with each pencil.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:33 pm

scoobers wrote:
I also wanted to update that the KUM Longpoint sharpener is OFFICIALLY TTTTTTT for me. I swear to God lead gets stuck in that damn thing like every other pencil I sharpen, and the holder isn't large enough to hold any shavings, so I have to empty it out with each pencil.
What other sharpeners are you looking at? I have this TT sharpener I bought from Vons. It's not bad, but it isn't good either.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 pm

After using a TTTTTTTT sharpener, I found a 180 electric sharpener at work. It's so good. But really loud. I probably can't use it during the test.

Unless I'm this woman. I'll just sue LSAC: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=216120

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:After using a TTTTTTTT sharpener, I found a 180 electric sharpener at work. It's so good. But really loud. I probably can't use it during the test.

Unless I'm this woman. I'll just sue LSAC: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=216120
You have a fine motor disability and OCD that requires access to a loud electric pencil sharpener at ALL times.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
scoobers wrote:
What other sharpeners are you looking at? I have this TT sharpener I bought from Vons. It's not bad, but it isn't good either.
I'm looking at one of those little metal ones, but springing $10 for a pencil sharpener just seems...wrong.

Question: are these prohibited??????

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:49 pm

scoobers wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
scoobers wrote:
I'm looking at one of those little metal ones, but springing $10 for a pencil sharpener just seems...wrong.

Question: are these prohibited??????
I would imagine so. They're probably too loud. You're not alone. I probably wouldn't spend $10 on a pencil sharpener. Most sharpeners do just fine and you will most likely not be sharpening pencils during the exam anyway. That's TTT. As long as you've sharpened 10 good pencils the day before, you should be fine. Even if your sharpener sucks, as long as you can get 10 good pencils out of it, you should be fine.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:19 pm

PourMeTea wrote:How many sharpened pencils are you all bringing to October/which ones?

I think i'm bringing 20-30 sharp-but-not-too-sharp pencils or so, and they'll probably all be Blackwings. I can't stand Black Warriors anymore, and HBs piss me off.
I'll probably bring an entire box of BW or TICON Blacks.

1 per LG (4)
1 per section (4)
1 for writing sample
1 for filling out the scantron etc.

8-10, maybe 12. We shall see.

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:05 pm

BLASPHEMY! The original Ticonderoga is the one and only pencil fit for a true LSAT master!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
scoobers wrote:

We srsly need to find pencil sharpeners that go well with our pencils. I originally bought that Kum LongpoinTTTTT sharpener cuz Scoobers suggested it...I trusted you!!!!! :cry:

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
scoobers wrote:
We srsly need to find pencil sharpeners that go well with our pencils. I originally bought that Kum LongpoinTTTTT sharpener cuz Scoobers suggested it...I trusted you!!!!! :cry:
D: I trusted the thread! TBH I've managed to work with my KUM (hahahahahaha okay I'm done now) but it's still annoying. You have to be really careful with it. BUT I took some pencils to a regular electric sharpener, and then used the KUM to keep them pointy, and that worked better :).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote: Mirado Black Warriors are sold in stores (Walmart, drugstores, the usual). And they are infinitely better than any Ticonderoga.
I thought once you go Ticon black, you don't go back.
I am tempted to try the Mirado Black Warriors based on the name alone however.
Either way it seems like black coated pencils are superior to their yellow coated brethren.
I, THE GLORIOUS MOSTDANGEROUSLG, HAVE DECIDED TO RETURN TO THE LSAT PREP FORUM FOR THE SOLE SAKE OF POSTING THIS POST:

Yep. True.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 pm

HEY moast dangerous LG: are you retaking dat 175 breh?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 am

Dr. Dre wrote:HEY moast dangerous LG: are you retaking dat 175 breh?
Not in October. Potentially in December or February (depends on how my cycle is looking). I think I've forgotten everything though.

Everything except which pencil is the greatest LSAT pencil of all time:

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:40 am

I ordered the Black Warriors and they have some sort of weird black coating that was just awful. Then I turned to the Black Ticons, and now life couldnt be better. I am a believer!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”