What #2 Pencil Should I use? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
33%
Black Ticonderoga
37%
Tri-conderoga
6%
Blackwing 602
5%
Black Mirado Warrior
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
1%
General's Semi-Hex
1%
Palomino HB
3%
Other (post ITT what it is)
3%

Total votes: 375

mscrew

New

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Post by mscrew » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 am

Has anyone actually used a Blackwing on test day? I want to, but the fact that it isn't #2 is really freaking me out.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:06 am

mscrew wrote:Has anyone actually used a Blackwing on test day? I want to, but the fact that it isn't #2 is really freaking me out.
I have them but I would not risk it. Just go with the black Ticon. However, if you've never used black Ticon before, I would recommend cranking out at least a few PTs with them to make sure you're comfortable.

Seriously don't switch into something different right before the exam.

newcareernewtown

New

Post by newcareernewtown » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 am

Last edited by newcareernewtown on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 am

newcareernewtown wrote:
sjp200 wrote:
haus wrote:
sjp200 wrote:If you don't use a black, presharpened Ticondy, you may as well marry your cousin and leave the country in shame
This is a nice pencil, but it is not as nice as several of those discussed in this thread, such as the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or the Tombow Mono.
American pencils bruh
Purchasing a pencil just because it's American is almost as dumb as purchasing a car just because it's German. :lol:

Here is a link to a picture summarizing the different sorts of pencil graphite (can't post pics yet):
http://pencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... hes-11.jpg

Palomino 2B's produce softer, darker lead that is easier to erase than HB. HB was what test companies recommended because of antiquated machines that would read the test sheets by shining a light through them. Thus, harder/lighter lead wouldn't show, and softer/darker lead would smear all over the page.

I imagine you could use a crayola marker and have the same results today. It's about comfort and ease of erasure, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: For the record, I used Haus' recommendation for December, and think it contributed to eliminating the third game cold. There is something to be said for confidence in your ninja sword.
I'd imagine Germans are encouraged to buy German cars the same way Americans are encouraged to buy American muscle... Commie

Replitz

New

Post by Replitz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 am

What's the difference between the Black ticonderogas and the regulars? At the store the blacks were more expensive for fewer pencils but I couldn't find any specific difference, other than the color obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:57 am

Replitz wrote:What's the difference between the Black ticonderogas and the regulars? At the store the blacks were more expensive for fewer pencils but I couldn't find any specific difference, other than the color obviously.
They are a bit softer, which I think makes them easier to bubbling. Also there is the satin-touch finish. I think that aids with grip a bit. And, of course, aesthetics.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Replitz wrote:of course, aesthetics.
+1

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:49 pm

So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

I compared it to the Ticonderoga Black #2, and I really have to say I prefer the Staedtler Norica much more.
The Norica just writes more smoothly and I think it does a better job of keeping its point. It also has a more sturdy feel. I think that it has bit more weight to it. Balanced just right!

I did like 6 logic games with the Norica and it still was sharp when I was done.

The only downside is that I think the Ticonderoga Blacks are a bit easier to erase. So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

To sum it up, I think the Staedtler Norica feels like it glides on the paper, whereas the Ticons scratched. You can even hear the difference in how smooth the Norica writes. I think this is the main differences and lends the Norica to being the better for test taking. It felt easier to write neater with and easier to bubble in with.

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10

Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

I compared it to the Ticonderoga Black #2, and I really have to say I prefer the Staedtler Norica much more.
The Norica just writes more smoothly and I think it does a better job of keeping its point. It also has a more sturdy feel. I think that it has bit more weight to it. Balanced just right!

I did like 6 logic games with the Norica and it still was sharp when I was done.

The only downside is that I think the Ticonderoga Blacks are a bit easier to erase. So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10
YASSSS as soon as I saw this thread was resurrected I dipped in to say this. I have a pack of black ticons sitting in my desk now and let me tell you they are some ASS. White Noricas lose their point very easily, they make much darker marks than the ticons and feel much fuller in the hand. I practically ran back to Staples after breaking out the ticons for the first time.

BLACK TICONS ARE STRAIGHT ASS COME AT ME HATERS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote: So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.
Having and using a good eraser is useful regardless of your pencil choice.

I have become a big fan of the foam erasers, such as:

http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-St ... ad/pd/6736

http://www.jetpens.com/Sakura-Foam-Eraser-W-60/pd/11532

-or-

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Foam-Erase ... 10/pd/2526

While I think all three of the above are really good erasers I personally think the Sakura has a slightly nicer feel, although the Pilot seems to be easier to find.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 pm

ayylmao wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:So today I went to Staples and bought 2 36 packs of Staedtler Norica #2 Pencils. I got 72 for like $20... enough to last forever!

Overall rating:

Staedtler Norica 9/10
YASSSS as soon as I saw this thread was resurrected I dipped in to say this. I have a pack of black ticons sitting in my desk now and let me tell you they are some ASS. White Noricas lose their point very easily, they make much darker marks than the ticons and feel much fuller in the hand. I practically ran back to Staples after breaking out the ticons for the first time.

BLACK TICONS ARE STRAIGHT ASS COME AT ME HATERS

Hahaha! Yeah exactly! Also, I don't feel like having a sharp point is as advantageous as the comfort and overall quality of the writing you get with Noricas.

Also, LMAO at the bolded :lol: Noricas for life!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:26 pm

haus wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote: So if you do use the Noricas, have a good eraser.
Having and using a good eraser is useful regardless of your pencil choice.

I have become a big fan of the foam erasers, such as:

http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-St ... ad/pd/6736

http://www.jetpens.com/Sakura-Foam-Eraser-W-60/pd/11532

-or-

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Foam-Erase ... 10/pd/2526

While I think all three of the above are really good erasers I personally think the Sakura has a slightly nicer feel, although the Pilot seems to be easier to find.

Good point! A good eraser seems like a must have for any pencil. I have a couple of the those pink cheaper ones, and think I am going to get a good one tomorrow. I guess I can always order the sakura online, it is surprisingly affordable! Thank you :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 pm

zeglo wrote:I used pre-sharpened Ticonderogas (sharpened later with a small sharpener) with a Pink Pearl eraser.

How did you like them? I was using the regular Ticons and Ticon Blacks for a bit before I switched. I think they get the job done just fine. I'm sort of a nerd for office supplies and collect pens and Moleskine books, so I figured for the LSAT I would indulge my hobby and look into specialized pencils, lol. I know it is kind of lame. I think it matters as much as you let it.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 am

Zeglo,

I think that 'the regular pencils have great erasers' is an overstatement. I think that these do not live up to the level of a good hi-polymer eraser (such as the Pentel that is widely available), and both of these fall short of a good foam eraser.

But, you are right, if you do not make many mistakes the need is not high (or if you write small enough that running low on room is not a concern). Sadly, I use mine more than I care to admit.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:56 am

This thread is the living embodiment of the idea of overthinking lmao.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 pm

I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?
Part of the issue is how one handles a pencil, practice with a wooden pencil, specifically making minor adjustments in position, angle, and rotation, can extend the life of the point.

Also, some pencils do better than others at holding up. Of course, the grade of pencil can make a difference, but the test calls for #2 (aka HB), but even within this grade some pencils have different characteristics. My personal favorite HB for a nice mixture of feel, writing, and point longevity is the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni Pencil - HB (available from JetPens.com). But there are quite of few more mainstream pencils that others have had good success with.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 pm

haus wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:I have been studying with and testing out the standard Ticonderoga and the Black ones..I don't know if it's because I am used to mechanical pencils, but they seem to go dull on me rather quickly. Might this be because I write too hard for this model of pencil? ... Any Suggestions?
Part of the issue is how one handles a pencil, practice with a wooden pencil, specifically making minor adjustments in position, angle, and rotation, can extend the life of the point.

Also, some pencils do better than others at holding up. Of course, the grade of pencil can make a difference, but the test calls for #2 (aka HB), but even within this grade some pencils have different characteristics. My personal favorite HB for a nice mixture of feel, writing, and point longevity is the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni Pencil - HB (available from JetPens.com). But there are quite of few more mainstream pencils that others have had good success with.
So would all HB #2 pencil lead deteriorate at the same rate, and longevity comes down to how aggressive I am with the pencil lol? And thus, different pencil models within the HB #2 category are just for feel and not necessarily the lead?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:34 pm

jagerbom79 wrote: So would all HB #2 pencil lead deteriorate at the same rate, and longevity comes down to how aggressive I am with the pencil lol? And thus, different pencil models within the HB #2 category are just for feel and not necessarily the lead.
The scale system is very loose. Different companies HB/#2 vary quite a bit, sometimes you can see variations from the same company in different lines of pencils. So there can be a significant variation in how quickly a point can wear down from one pencil line to another even if the 'aggressiveness' of the writer is the same.

You might be interested in this article discussing the grading.

http://pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:17 pm

The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
The Staedler Wopex is where it is at if you are feeling like your point is getting dull too quick. They are made of plastic, weighted nice, and the lead is much more durable than other HB pencils. (Note: These do not have erasers on them. So that may be something to consider.)

I am currently using the Staedtler Noricas which I love, but I wouldn't say they are more hard than the Ticons. I was using the Ticon blacks up until a couple weeks ago. The Noricas are a smooth writing pencil and because of that, they glide on the paper and your tips seem to last. Although they aren't crazy sharp, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I guess it all comes down to preference.
Okay cool- Thanks for the advice!

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

Read through this entire thread, decided to try out the Palomino HB and got really excited, then realized they are sold out everywhere...

I feel heartbroken :cry:

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Okay cool- Thanks for the advice!
Of course, mate! My pleasure... I'm a nerd and collect pens, so it only makes sense I should be obsessed with finding the right pencil for the LSAT, lol. :D
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”