What #2 Pencil Should I use? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is your favorite #2 pencil?

Ticonderoga (original)
33%
Black Ticonderoga
37%
Tri-conderoga
6%
Blackwing 602
5%
Black Mirado Warrior
10%
Palomino's Golden Bear
1%
General's Semi-Hex
1%
Palomino HB
3%
Other (post ITT what it is)
3%

Total votes: 375

Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: What #2 Pencil Should I use?

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

indeed they should.

what is better BP for LG or Manhattan LG

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:26 am

I still like Manhattan more. It's the go to book. But I feel doing all three (PS, Manhattan, and Blueprint) helps me significantly with the games. I can't state clearly enough that I am horrible at the games. But at last, LGs are finally clicking for me, which is great since it was my achilles heel (Got a 162 with -9 in LG).

How's your studying going Dre.? If all goes well, we'll both be applying next cycle. PTing those 170s with your Ticon blacks?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:08 am

I reached 169 but nothing higher than that. I'm taking it OCT. When are you taking it?

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 am

I will be adding my pencil bona fides to my TLS profile. I invite the dames and gentry from this thread to do the same, so to stand in solidarity and enlighten all those who view our profiles.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 pm

I used the Dixon pencils that OP used for my first test, and my hand started cramping up towards the end. I have found the triangular pencils to be much better. I have been using Pentech's ones, but I might give the Dixon trio's a shot too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mlansky

New

Post by mlansky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I used the Dixon pencils that OP used for my first test, and my hand started cramping up towards the end. I have found the triangular pencils to be much better. I have been using Pentech's ones, but I might give the Dixon trio's a shot too.
"towards the end" meaning just during the writing sample, right?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 pm

mlansky wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:I used the Dixon pencils that OP used for my first test, and my hand started cramping up towards the end. I have found the triangular pencils to be much better. I have been using Pentech's ones, but I might give the Dixon trio's a shot too.
I honestly can't remember if it was the last section or the writing sample. Either way, I don't think Pentech makes the pencils I mentioned anymore, so I just ordered some tri-conderogas.

EDIT: Hooray! I found 3 almost-new Pentech pencils in a drawer!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

CR2012 wrote:I will be adding my pencil bona fides to my TLS profile. I invite the dames and gentry from this thread to do the same, so to stand in solidarity and enlighten all those who view our profiles.

Where'd you get them Oxford pencils? Are they circular in shape?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
mlansky wrote:
I honestly can't remember if it was the last section or the writing sample. Either way, I don't think Pentech makes the pencils I mentioned anymore, so I just ordered some tri-conderogas.

EDIT: Hooray! I found 3 almost-new Pentech pencils in a drawer!
I've never tried the triangular ones. Let me know how they work out. I don't like the feel of round pencils. The feel of the standards are okay, but I'm always willing to upgrade so as long as I have a month of prep left to switch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I reached 169 but nothing higher than that. I'm taking it OCT. When are you taking it?
June. I've still been stuck in the mid to upper 160s. I have gotten two 170s, but most of the time I'm PTing in the mid 160s. Making dumb errors.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:I reached 169 but nothing higher than that. I'm taking it OCT. When are you taking it?
June. I've still been stuck in the mid to upper 160s. I have gotten two 170s, but most of the time I'm PTing in the mid 160s. Making dumb errors.
The 170 hump is the hardest one to break into consistently. Just keep drilling and using proper pencils, and you'll get there in no time.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 pm

deputydog wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
The 170 hump is the hardest one to break into consistently. Just keep drilling and using proper pencils, and you'll get there in no time.

Have you tried the cambridge books that focus on just one topic? (e.g., parallel reasoning in LR)

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
deputydog wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Have you tried the cambridge books that focus on just one topic? (e.g., parallel reasoning in LR)
Yea, the cambridge bundles are the shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Dr. Dre wrote: Have you tried the cambridge books that focus on just one topic? (e.g., parallel reasoning in LR)
I am planning on buying some of these tomorrow. I'm only missing 0-3 lr per section, but I'm screwing up parallel reasoning, flaw, and cannot be true enough to make them worth it.

I'm also considering getting the RC, because I haven't made much progress there.

Dre, are you planning on applying to uc irvine in the fall?

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote: Have you tried the cambridge books that focus on just one topic? (e.g., parallel reasoning in LR)
I am planning on buying some of these tomorrow. I'm only missing 0-3 lr per section, but I'm screwing up parallel reasoning, flaw, and cannot be true enough to make them worth it.

I'm also considering getting the RC, because I haven't made much progress there.

Dre, are you planning on applying to uc irvine in the fall?
I bought all of the RC, a couple of LR that I have trouble with, and all of the difficult question ones. I have noticed improvement in LR. RC, I feel like I'm better at them, but consistency is a big issue. I recommend them.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm

No, i am not applying to uc irvine law. I will never apply to that toilet of a law school. I talk about it here only to smack sense into people considering going there.

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 pm

I bought Rite Aid brand pencils the morning of the test and sharpened them in the subway on my way to the testing site.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm

cynthiad wrote:I bought Rite Aid brand pencils the morning of the test and sharpened them in the subway on my way to the testing site.
We've got ourselves a rebel over here.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 pm

cynthiad wrote:I bought Rite Aid brand pencils the morning of the test and sharpened them in the subway on my way to the testing site.
Were you pleased with your score?

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

deputydog wrote:
Obviously Rite-aid has the best pencils. His profile says 180 (I was too lazy to really check if he ended up getting a 180, but he said his first practice test score was a 178... so either way I am impressed and will only use Rite-Aid pencils now).

edit: his profile numbers are legit according to his post history. I think he should of written an addendum about not having a ticonderoga pencil for the test and how it made him underperform.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

deputydog wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
deputydog wrote:
Obviously Rite-aid has the best pencils. His profile says 180 (I was too lazy to really check if he ended up getting a 180, but he said his first practice test score was a 178... so either way I am impressed and will only use Rite-Aid pencils now).
What a shame. Could have been the first 181 in history if he had just bought some better quality pencils.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Dmini7 wrote:... so either way I am impressed and will only use Rite-Aid pencils now).

did you score 170+ on your first practice test? clearly, he is at another level. So this is a bad comparison and you using his anecdote to justify you using TTT pencils is erroneous.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:No, i am not applying to uc irvine law. I will never apply to that toilet of a law school. I talk about it here only to smack sense into people considering going there.
I'm not sure why, but seeing you comment about Irvine has become one of my favorite parts about TLS.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Dre: Original (Yellow) Ticonderoga. 'Tis the pencil of pencils.

Also, can I say that I LOVE the fact that there is a heated discussion on which type of pencil to use?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”