Can't improve LR & don't know why....:((((((((( Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MissJenna

New

Can't improve LR & don't know why....:(((((((((

Post by MissJenna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm literally dying here.........a 6/25, a 8/26, a 11/25, a 12/25 (if I'm lucky)....and just most recently a 4/25 (WTF????!!!) etc.......these have been my scores for the logical reasoning section. I don't know how to improve this section. I really feel that I am doing everything I can........well almost everything I think.

I've been timing myself on a couple LR sections a day just to get used to timing (and of course I never finish) & I can't seem to get highe :cry: r than 12 or 13 correct.

After I finish the section, I correct it & then read the explanations. What's crazy is that 90-95% I totally understand the explanation (unless it's really a convoluted stimulus) so I don't wtf is going on. The same mistakes keep happening w/no improvement.

Should I just NOT :cry: read the explanations? Should I make myself come up w/my own?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Re: Can't improve LR & don't know why....:(((((((((

Post by itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm

MissJenna wrote:I'm literally dying here.........a 6/25, a 8/26, a 11/25, a 12/25 (if I'm lucky)....and just most recently a 4/25 (WTF????!!!) etc.......these have been my scores for the logical reasoning section. I don't know how to improve this section. I really feel that I am doing everything I can........well almost everything I think.

I've been timing myself on a couple LR sections a day just to get used to timing (and of course I never finish) & I can't seem to get highe :cry: r than 12 or 13 correct.

After I finish the section, I correct it & then read the explanations. What's crazy is that 90-95% I totally understand the explanation (unless it's really a convoluted stimulus) so I don't wtf is going on. The same mistakes keep happening w/no improvement.

Should I just NOT :cry: read the explanations? Should I make myself come up w/my own?
if you take in june postpone! if you take in october, get a prep course. or read some manhattan and drill by question type

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Try re-studying (this time, more carefully) Manhattan and PowerScore LR

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Ave wrote:Try re-studying (this time, more carefully) Manhattan and PowerScore LR

I'm re-reading the PS again. I really don't like Manhattan's......I'm just not feeling it.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Im no expert on LR by any means but I did manage to somehow help myself gain a few points by doing this. Start reviewing the ?s you got wrong, even the ones you weren't sure about but got right anyway, by writing out an explanation for each answer choice (why its wrong/right) AND on the side, what you were thinking that led you to do that. Drill 4 full sections of LR, periodically, cut those ?s out and keep them with you. Review them and read over them. Its tedious. But I finally realized its not quantity. Its quality.

Turns out after awhile it becomes a LOT easier to see patterns and not repeat mistakes. I reviewed the ?s so much not to re-do them each time, because after awhile they just commit to memory, but to understand what I was thinking and why its wrong/right so I dont repeat the mistake. Also, maybe check out the Manhattan forums for some help on LR explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Trajectory wrote:Im no expert on LR by any means but I did manage to somehow help myself gain a few points by doing this. Start reviewing the ?s you got wrong, even the ones you weren't sure about but got right anyway, by writing out an explanation for each answer choice (why its wrong/right) AND on the side, what you were thinking that led you to do that. Drill 4 full sections of LR, periodically, cut those ?s out and keep them with you. Review them and read over them. Its tedious. But I finally realized its not quantity. Its quality.

Turns out after awhile it becomes a LOT easier to see patterns and not repeat mistakes. I reviewed the ?s so much not to re-do them each time, because after awhile they just commit to memory, but to understand what I was thinking and why its wrong/right so I dont repeat the mistake. Also, maybe check out the Manhattan forums for some help on LR explanations.

Thank u for your response.:))

I used to write out explanations (a while ago) & I didnt feel like it helped me at all but I'll try it again.

I find this section to be so incredibly difficult...... :| :cry: :shock: :(

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:25 pm

I think the most important thing is to be very aware of what mistakes your making and why. Repeatedly go over your mistakes in depth from every possible angle and talk yourself through it if you have to! The thought process required to solve each question type correctly will emerge and solidify from the patterns in your mistakes. Its definitely the hardest section for me!

coldweather

New

Post by coldweather » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:35 pm

You probably are not deconstructing the argument correctly. For all the assumption questions (assumption, flaw, strengthen, weaken), go back and find the conclusion to each stem (highlight, underline) then look at the evidence and find the missing gaps. Do this untimed.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:50 pm

I just feel like it's not f&*$%#g normal to be getting the scores I'm getting on this section. It just isn't. No doubt.........I feel mentally challenged here.

I feel like any "normal" person should at least be able to get at least 1/2 right on each of the LR sections. I mean a 6/25.....c'mon now!!!!!!! :shock: :roll: :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mystikal

New

Post by mystikal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm

You need to understand the concept, foundation of the LR section before buring wasting 3-4 hours on a practice test(if your taking practice test)
Also try this "Blind Review" instead of grading right afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJJS7BRNGI

Keep your eyes on the prize!

MissJenna wrote:I'm literally dying here.........a 6/25, a 8/26, a 11/25, a 12/25 (if I'm lucky)....and just most recently a 4/25 (WTF????!!!) etc.......these have been my scores for the logical reasoning section. I don't know how to improve this section. I really feel that I am doing everything I can........well almost everything I think.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Start using LSAT logic in everyday thinking (ie: commercials, conversation, FB posts lol) in your mind while applying the concepts. It helps a lot.

To illustrate: you're speaking with a friend who states "Of course my doctor isn't open on Saturdays. I don't know of any doctors that are open on the weekend"

Or consider this statement regarding a proposition for a campus shuttle to be implemented that picks up from a location where only a few of the actual student population lives:

"A shuttle from City X would cost roughly 200k per year. This would only amount to an additional $7 in quarterly student fees, but would benefit the entire student body of college X"

To summarize, start thinking critically whenever you see or hear claims or statements and try to point out their method, the flaws if they exist, etc. You may be much better off when tackling actual exam questions since you're developing logic as a sort of habit.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm

LR is very learnable, you gotta be patient with it though. This was my approach:

Firstly, I used LSAT blog's day by day plan where on each day you are directed to read the relevant LRB chapter, then drill the 20-30 questions of that type, listed in the study plan. (You can create this list yourself, just takes time).

I would do a type a day, and sometimes when it wasn't sticking (i.e. I get 4-5 wrong in a row), I would call it a day and return the next day with a fresh mind.

During this drilling process I would also note down any of the questions I got wrong, cut them out and keep them in a pile I review all the time.

It took me about 5 weeks to get through all the LR question types doing this, but once I was done, i was really strong in it then it was just a matter of polishing rough edges.

Someone once said it best when they said each LSAT section gives you a snapshot of your weaknesses. It seems to me like you haven't built a strong foundation and thus are showing up a whole bunch of weaknesses. So you need to go back to basics and start drilling type by type before you take on whole sections. Don't move on to another type until you feel you have grasped the one you are working on. The timing will come as you practice more. Right now focus on accuracy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”