Retake a 167? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Retake?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 14

Debt

New

Retake a 167?

Post by Debt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 am

I am already in a lower T14 (Cornell) with no money (and no expected scholarship) which makes me terrified of the debt, but I could take the LSAT again in June, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Prior to the LSAT I was only averaging around 160-163 and got pretty lucky after 4 months of pretty serious prep (Oct '11 LSAT). Would more prep over the next 3 months after a year of no LSAT worth it? Even if I never got that high in practices? I am worried that I won't get better and I will waste so much time and effort when I want to enjoy myself a little prior to law school.

Should I settle or is it really worth all that effort to only get a worse LSAT score?

GPA is roughly 3.68

Micdiddy

Gold

Re: Retake a 167?

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 am

Debt wrote:I am already in a lower T14 (Cornell) with no money (and no expected scholarship) which makes me terrified of the debt, but I could take the LSAT again in June, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Prior to the LSAT I was only averaging around 160-163 and got pretty lucky after 4 months of pretty serious prep (Oct '11 LSAT). Would more prep over the next 3 months after a year of no LSAT worth it? Even if I never got that high in practices? I am worried that I won't get better and I will waste so much time and effort when I want to enjoy myself a little prior to law school.

Should I settle or is it really worth all that effort to only get a worse LSAT score?

GPA is roughly 3.68
Normally under these conditions I would say a retake is a fine option. But due to bolded and the overall sense that you doubt you can do any better, going with what you got is probably the best option.
How much time could you devote to studying between now and a June/October (any reason you couldn't take October?)
Are there specific problems you know you have and can fix, or does the LSAT still seem like a jumble with little coherence from one test to the next?
It's a tough call in this one tbh, a 170+ would get you money and t10 for sure.

Skill Game

New

Post by Skill Game » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 am

I assume you haven't already committed to Cornell?

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 am

wait, are you thinking of retaking june in hopes of getting money out of Cornell or are you thinking about reapplying next year with a higher score?

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

Debt wrote:I am already in a lower T14 (Cornell) with no money (and no expected scholarship) which makes me terrified of the debt, but I could take the LSAT again in June, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

GPA is roughly 3.68
I would not retake.. it is risky given your comments. Honestly, not that many people get over a 167 -- although it may seem like it on TLS :). Is there any other school (maybe in the T20) that is giving you some $$?).. that might help with the debt if you are willing to consider a lower rank school.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am

In your situation, I don't see how a June retake is a good option.

The best option is to wait a year for law school and take in October. If you can't do that, I would keep what you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”