MBA considering Law School

Dr. Dre

Re: MBA considering Law School

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 pm

"Doing good" is overrated. Like rad lulz said, unless you're helping the poor and disadvantaged, you're not doing good (with a JD).

dawyzest1

Re: MBA considering Law School

Postby dawyzest1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 am

Just want to let the OP know he is not alone. I'm an MBA who has made the choice to pursue law school after a few years post-MBA. I think the best advice is to only go to law school if you want to: (1) be a practicing attorney; (2) be a law professor; (3) work in policy. If your interests are broad, it probably makes more sense to stick with the general professional degree (MBA) and see where that takes you.

I also encourage more research about the law school landscape. They take the stratification of b-schools and multiply it by 100. For instance, according to Law School Transparency, though both Baylor and UT had ~70% of their grads working full-time legal jobs within 9 months of graduation, over half of Baylor's grads had jobs at firms with fewer than 25 attorneys, while less than 15% of UT's grads had to go that route. That's just a quick example of this fact: while it matters where you go to b-school, it MATTERS where you to to law school!

That brings me to the LSAT. The LSAT is a different beast unto itself. It is nothing like the GRE or GMAT and will require a serious study commitment, so I wholeheartedly support the idea of taking 3 whole months for dedicated study before the test. Also, the LSAT is the most important factor in admissions, so you simply have to knock it out of the park.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”