MBA considering Law School

GWMBA13

MBA considering Law School

Postby GWMBA13 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm

It's a long story....

The abbreviated version is that I've been in the US Navy for 14 years and am completing my MBA from George Washington this summer. Once graduation and a little relaxation is complete, I'm going to start studying for the December LSAT so that I can have my applications in for Fall 2014. I'd love to go to UT, but SMU and Baylor are in my sights as well since they are closer to my hometown. I used Manhattan while studying for the GMAT and am thinking of going with them for my LSAT prep. I've got a few months left of b-school, so I won't even look at any LSAT material until I'm done. I will be looking through the forums to read other's experiences.

tuffyjohnson

Re: MBA considering Law School

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 am

Well, my opinion is that you'll be one highly marketable person in the business world. Hopefully you've got some GI money to use up and some business experience to go with all that education.

Ave

Postby Ave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 am

GWMBA13 wrote:It's a long story....

The abbreviated version is that I've been in the US Navy for 14 years and am completing my MBA from George Washington this summer. Once graduation and a little relaxation is complete, I'm going to start studying for the December LSAT so that I can have my applications in for Fall 2014. I'd love to go to UT, but SMU and Baylor are in my sights as well since they are closer to my hometown. I used Manhattan while studying for the GMAT and am thinking of going with them for my LSAT prep. I've got a few months left of b-school, so I won't even look at any LSAT material until I'm done. I will be looking through the forums to read other's experiences.

Is this your (subtle) question? Then, use Manhattan and PowerScore to start

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 am

Is there a compelling reason you want to go to law school? It seems to me that with your experience in the Navy, an MBA, and close proximity to DC, any defense contractor would likely want to pick you up as a project manager ($$$). Opportunity cost aside, you would likely make way more money doing that than going to law school. Do you want to be a lawyer? If so, did this realization come after you went to GW for an MBA program?

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 am

silenttimer wrote:

Is there a compelling reason you want to go to law school? It seems to me that with your experience in the Navy, an MBA, and close proximity to DC, any defense contractor would likely want to pick you up as a project manager ($$$). Opportunity cost aside, you would likely make way more money doing that than going to law school. Do you want to be a lawyer? If so, did this realization come after you went to GW for an MBA program?

I started thinking about it as I got closer to finishing b-school. Money really isn't my motive. I'd like to do something that has an impact (not to get too cheesy or anything). I'll study for the LSAT and see how I do, this will also give me time to evaluate my motivation for going to law school.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

GWMBA13 wrote:I started thinking about it as I got closer to finishing b-school. Money really isn't my motive. I'd like to do something that has an impact (not to get too cheesy or anything). I'll study for the LSAT and see how I do, this will also give me time to evaluate my motivation for going to law school.

It's cheesy unless your definition of "impact" is helping companies and individuals make money

Maybe if you wanted to do crim work

Barely anyone works in public interest because there are so few jobs

If you want to make an impact, like doing good for people, it's probably easier to do that outside the law

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
GWMBA13 wrote:I started thinking about it as I got closer to finishing b-school. Money really isn't my motive. I'd like to do something that has an impact (not to get too cheesy or anything). I'll study for the LSAT and see how I do, this will also give me time to evaluate my motivation for going to law school.

It's cheesy unless your definition of "impact" is helping companies and individuals make money

If you want to make an impact, like doing good for people, it's probably easier to do that outside the law

That's what I have been thinking about when considering MBA jobs. I'll make money for others and myself, but not really help anyone. There must be a way to do it as an attorney. I'll have to do some research.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am

GWMBA13 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

That's what I have been thinking about when considering MBA jobs. I'll make money for others and myself, but not really help anyone. There must be a way to do it as an attorney. I'll have to do some research.

Probably the easiest way to make an "impact" (but not that easy) is to go the DA/PD route honestly

Unfortunately, the people who need the most impact tend to be poor and can't afford lawyers

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 pm

GWMBA13 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

If you truely want to make an "impact," put your personal ambition aside (and whatever your perceived prestige is that comes along with being a lawyer), and become a teacher in an inner city or rural area. Those kids need you. You will make an IMPACT!

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm

silenttimer wrote:
GWMBA13 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

If you truely want to make an "impact," put your personal ambition aside (and whatever your perceived prestige is that comes along with being a lawyer), and become a teacher in an inner city or rural area. Those kids need you. You will make an IMPACT!

I don't think that I'd make a good teacher. I do think they could make an impact, depends on the kids and how they're raised.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 pm

silenttimer wrote:
GWMBA13 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:It's cheesy unless your definition of "impact" is helping companies and individuals make money

Please don't listen to the foolishness on TLS. If you want to be a lawyer and want to help people, you can. I grew up dirt poor and my mother had to enlist the help of an attorney to get our landlord to provide us heat. That lawyer helped us. Lawyers impact everyday lives in everything from civil rights, criminal litigation, housing, regulatory and employment law. You're going to school in Texas so your COA will be zero (GI Bill covers COL) if this is something you want to do please don't let some 23yr old who has never worked or knows what it's like to sacrifice for others, dissuade you. From another vet, thank you for your service.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 pm

You could make an impact by filing s 1983 civil rights claims for damages or by doing plaintiff PI or plaintiff labor and employment (the other common routes I can think of), but I find it's the rare case that people who haven't done quite a bit of research would call this "making an impact" in the traditional sense any more than they guy who fixes my car after I get into a crash "makes an impact" by helping me get to school/work

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi - this is Mike Kim, co-author of the Manhattan LSAT guides -- I am no longer affiliated with the company, but I still like to come on here from time to time to see if there is anything I can help with --

First of all, just want to thank you for your service. Second, I want to say that I've personally worked with a lot of people who have come out of the military, and in my experience they are terrific students and typically much better than average at improving their scores -- sorry to generalize, but these tests are in large part tests of mental discipline, and the stereotype about learning discipline in the military really does seem to hold true --

Best of luck, and I want to encourage you to really shoot for a top score -- if possible, one that is much higher than the average for your goal schools. Not sure if you get some gov $ to go to law school, but one of the challenges of "doing good" after law school, for most students, is the amount of debt that they have -- a top LSAT score gets you $$$.

Hope you enjoy the guides, and feel free to reach out if you need any help.

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:Hi - this is Mike Kim, co-author of the Manhattan LSAT guides -- I am no longer affiliated with the company, but I still like to come on here from time to time to see if there is anything I can help with --

First of all, just want to thank you for your service. Second, I want to say that I've personally worked with a lot of people who have come out of the military, and in my experience they are terrific students and typically much better than average at improving their scores -- sorry to generalize, but these tests are in large part tests of mental discipline, and the stereotype about learning discipline in the military really does seem to hold true --

Best of luck, and I want to encourage you to really shoot for a top score -- if possible, one that is much higher than the average for your goal schools. Not sure if you get some gov $ to go to law school, but one of the challenges of "doing good" after law school, for most students, is the amount of debt that they have -- a top LSAT score gets you $$$.

Hope you enjoy the guides, and feel free to reach out if you need any help.

I've got the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon to cover the costs. If I go to a state school, the Hazelwood Act would pay for school. Manhattan's material is pretty awesome! Thanks for the words of encouragement to everyone that gave them. I wasn't going to let anyone dissuade me from trying to go if that's what I really wanted to do. I'll update this more after I make my decision.

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey man congrats on everything and so far I think you have an excellent plan on what to do. I am in a somewhat similar boat. I am getting my MBA this summer however I head to law school in Aug and I already took the LSAT. Near as I can tell (in reading through these forums a bit) you can reliably get a high LSAT score if you study right and devote a proper amount of time to it. The key will be to use that time off to get lots of practice in. Taking a class or not is more dependent on you (have you found a classroom style to work best for you or do you get more with 1 on 1 or studying alone etc.) but consider the options very seriously. How well you do on the LSAT is the only other major factor law schools look at besides uGPA so take which way works best. If you put the serious time in, focus on the problem areas and take as many practice tests as possible you could get a nice set of choices you didn't realize you had and scholarship opportunities to make the best choice.

Good luck hope you do well!

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

kdog1147 wrote:

Hey man congrats on everything and so far I think you have an excellent plan on what to do. I am in a somewhat similar boat. I am getting my MBA this summer however I head to law school in Aug and I already took the LSAT. Near as I can tell (in reading through these forums a bit) you can reliably get a high LSAT score if you study right and devote a proper amount of time to it. The key will be to use that time off to get lots of practice in. Taking a class or not is more dependent on you (have you found a classroom style to work best for you or do you get more with 1 on 1 or studying alone etc.) but consider the options very seriously. How well you do on the LSAT is the only other major factor law schools look at besides uGPA so take which way works best. If you put the serious time in, focus on the problem areas and take as many practice tests as possible you could get a nice set of choices you didn't realize you had and scholarship opportunities to make the best choice.

Thanks bro!

I studied for the GMAT without going to a class and did pretty well. I'm more of a study by myself type of guy. It's kind of tough to get people to see the method to the madness sometimes. I'm planning on taking it in December so that I can have my applications in by February. I would think that 3 strong months should be enough. Then again, I haven't even started looking at any prep material (it just came in the mail today). I can't study for stats, health policy, international management and LSAT at the same time. I'm planning on starting after I graduate. Did you take the LSAT while you were in b-school?

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:18 pm

GWMBA13 wrote:
kdog1147 wrote:

Thanks bro!

I studied for the GMAT without going to a class and did pretty well. I'm more of a study by myself type of guy. It's kind of tough to get people to see the method to the madness sometimes. I'm planning on taking it in December so that I can have my applications in by February. I would think that 3 strong months should be enough. Then again, I haven't even started looking at any prep material (it just came in the mail today). I can't study for stats, health policy, international management and LSAT at the same time. I'm planning on starting after I graduate. Did you take the LSAT while you were in b-school?

Yea I did but I did some in the summer. My recommendation is take a look at some of the stuff (like a few of the logic games every now and then) nothing big just to keep it in your mind but not interfere with b-school and maybe take some time to outline your plan for studying that 3 months (since you seem to study best solo). I would also try and get the applications in earlier if I were you (it matters for decisions and scholarship $$) so that as soon as your number is in it is good to go.

P.S. I hated stats good luck man :/

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 pm

kdog1147 wrote:
GWMBA13 wrote:
kdog1147 wrote:

Thanks bro!

Yea I did but I did some in the summer. My recommendation is take a look at some of the stuff (like a few of the logic games every now and then) nothing big just to keep it in your mind but not interfere with b-school and maybe take some time to outline your plan for studying that 3 months (since you seem to study best solo). I would also try and get the applications in earlier if I were you (it matters for decisions and scholarship $$) so that as soon as your number is in it is good to go.

P.S. I hated stats good luck man :/

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the insight. Where are you going for law school anyway?

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm

GWMBA13 wrote:
That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the insight. Where are you going for law school anyway?

Anytime and I would really like to go to UC Boulder. It's in the area I want to live and work in. My backups are Pepperdine and UC Davis and again for location on those.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Sit down and think about what you want. You've burned through 6 years of higher education and 14 years at a job. Your next move is to plow right into another grad program immediately after finishing one? The most you've got is a vague desire to help others which is noble, but in no way suggests law is the right fit for you.

There are dozens of things you can do professionally and in your spare time that you'd probably think qualify as helping people. Why law? If anything, the legal work that will make you a living provides a more abstract kind of help for others than most young lawyers are comfortable with. I suspect you're more vulnerable than most to this problem, so I suggest you stop reading TLS and figure out what you really want out of life. Starting over after 20 years is an interesting way to live, but it suggests you should spend more time figuring out what you want before you jump into another career track.

GWMBA13

Postby GWMBA13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 pm

quakeroats wrote:Sit down and think about what you want. You've burned through 6 years of higher education and 14 years at a job. Your next move is to plow right into another grad program immediately after finishing one? The most you've got is a vague desire to help others which is noble, but in no way suggests law is the right fit for you.

There are dozens of things you can do professionally and in your spare time that you'd probably think qualify as helping people. Why law? If anything, the legal work that will make you a living provides a more abstract kind of help for others than most young lawyers are comfortable with. I suspect you're more vulnerable than most to this problem, so I suggest you stop reading TLS and figure out what you really want out of life. Starting over after 20 years is an interesting way to live, but it suggests you should spend more time figuring out what you want before you jump into another career track.

You're suggesting that I don't know what I want to do? That's not the case, but I can't control how another person interprets what I've posted on here. I appreciate the advise though.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 pm

GWMBA13 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Sit down and think about what you want. You've burned through 6 years of higher education and 14 years at a job. Your next move is to plow right into another grad program immediately after finishing one? The most you've got is a vague desire to help others which is noble, but in no way suggests law is the right fit for you.

You're suggesting that I don't know what I want to do? That's not the case, but I can't control how another person interprets what I've posted on here. I appreciate the advise though.

Unless there's something you're not telling us, yes, I'm suggesting that your experience, your response to it, and your plans for the future suggest you don't know what you want to do. For example, you mentioned that you started thinking about law school as you finished b school because "money really isn't my motive." First, that's a reductive way to think about business school. It certainly can and often is a means to make money, but that isn't the only option. I'll grant you that making more money is the most popular reason to go to business school, but that leads to another problem. How are you just figuring that out? Law school is more similar to b school than you realize. Tons of people arrive with vague notions of Making a Difference and Helping People, but they eventually figure out all the problems with doing things that fit that conception as lawyers and decide to pursue other tracks. Sometimes this is voluntary, but quite often there just aren't any legal jobs to be had of any kind.

Btw, if you're skeptical of my contention that you don't know what you want to do, pick anyone you trust for career advice, tell them these 4 things you mentioned, and ask them if they think your career path has a firm direction. If they tell you yes and mean it, I'll eat my proverbial hat.

1. I've been working for 14 years, but I decided to do something different.
2. I have a BA and I just finished a 2-year grad degree in business.
3. At the end of my time b school, I decided I wasn't interested in just making money.
4. I want to make a difference in people's lives, so I'm going to get another grad degree in law.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't go to law school. Like everybody else said, you don't have to get a JD to help people.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 pm

As an aside, there are actually a lot of ways to "do good" with an MBA. Look into some social entrepreneurship fellowships. There are some interesting opportunities out there.

eta: here's a couple for ya: https://www.ashoka.org/fellows http://www.acumenfund.org/fellows.html

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”