Memorizing Rules for Logic Games

Thelonious Kwiggz

Memorizing Rules for Logic Games

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:21 am

One thing that is not stressed enough when dealing with LG is how important it is to memorize the rules after you initially write them down. People who have difficulty with logic games but know how to do the games more often than not are constantly re-referencing the list of rules and how they apply. If you memorize the rules the instant you write them down, the less time you will use referencing rules and can attribute more mental energy to solving the presented problem (Plus re-referencing is detrimental to fluidity of thought that some games require). This is for people who know how to do LGs (Linear, Grouping, Combination, Spacial Linear, Advance Grouping) but are consistently running out of time or barely making it in time.

Tips for memorization of rules

Practice with games you have already done

Write down all the rules after reading a question then turn your page over and rewrite the rules. Do this over and over and you will see substantial progress in a short amount of time.

Next after memorizing and regurgitating the rules, really take the time to understand what the rules mean. Sometimes we see the symbolic logic but there is a delay with our understanding the implications of these symbols.

Try doing games in your head after you have finished studying later on in the day, just examine how the game worked and visualize it in your head later on in the day when your in the subway, park, tripping shrooms on a mountain, on a plane, benching heavy, doing squats, watching a bad movie, right before bed. This becomes easy to do after you have memorized the rules and inferences, don't bother about the questions when doing this, just practice ordering or grouping them in various ways within the confines of the rules.

Lastly, I know many of you are familiar with the memorizing inferences method from 7sage, that can help a lot as well for seeing inferences very quickly and efficiently.

Miscellaneous Aids for LG

Also, always make sure you are doing something to progress your progress in the game. Staring at a question waiting for something to click waste a lot of time and leads to sloppy follow through during the game.

I play games of chess in my head sometimes which can be a fun way of keeping track of a myriad of game pieces that interact with each other based on their placement on the board.

Read Conceptual Blockbusting, the book that focuses primarily on increasing creativity but some of the methods that apply can be easily attributed to solving weird logic games that do not fall neatly in the usual categories.

Hope this helps

Sincerely

Thelonious Kwiggz

Dr. Dre

Re: Memorizing Rules for Logic Games

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:22 am

tag

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 am

Great post

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 am

thanks

evolution

Postby evolution » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Nice

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am

I do not like this advice for several reasons.

1) It's ridiculously easy to mess a rule up if you're trying to memorize. Next thing you know, you've spent 3 minutes doing a game thinking that J->S when it was really S->J, or S->J and R when the rule was S->J or R

2) It's ridiculously easy to overlook deductions when you're not referencing the rules at every step. You might struggle to eliminate an AC, when that AC in reality just straight up violates a rule as given, that you forgot.

3) It's not going to be faster. Checking against each rule is the fastest way to make deductions reliably (sure, some people can memorize and rattle off the deductions without looking back; you're (the royal you) probably not one of them).

Will it work for some people? Sure. But it will just mess the overwhelming majority of people up.

I recommend that when making deductions and doing questions (especially conditional questions), you check against the rules as you've written them down constantly.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 pm

This is shitty advice.

Thelonious Kwiggz

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Thank you BP Shinners for elucidating some of potential weaknesses in this approach.

Maybe I did not make this clear, I am saying do write down the rules but I am stating that it has benefited me (which could benefit other people with a similar thought process to mine to take this approach) to practice memorizing and understanding the rules their first time writing them down so they can make the proper inferences and deductions.

1. It is ridiculously easy period to mess up a rule when in a panicked state, people should be careful and that is why I am stating Write the Rules Down. That being said what is wrong with spending time learning how to internalize the rules so you do not have to reference them excessively during the test? I fail to see where practicing memorizing rules so you can spend less time re referencing the rules is inherently bad form. Maybe I am not like the vast majority of students but when initially starting out doing LG I would constantly look back at the rules I had written down then glance back at the question, then when anxiety set in looked back at the rules again then the answer choices. That repeated practice of glancing back and forth wasted lots of time and increased my anxiety during test simulated situations. So yes I agree write the rules down, I never said not to and reference them when unsure but the less you have to re reference the better.

2. Once again make inferences after writing rules (never said not to). I love inferences and deductions take that time to write scenarios, it also helps making inferences quicker if your good at understanding the rules right after you read them and write them down. Take the time to analyze what you have written before trudging into the questions.

3. So much hostility on this one, I am saying take the time make deduction and consult what you have written but there are times when people like myself sit there staring at a question glancing back and forward between question and rules without progressing the game.
There is a difference between checking back with the rules constantly and checking back excessively, I am just trying to help some people out who do it excessively.

I am not naturally good at games (+6) my first pt but I did do this and it helped. It helped me finish within time and I know there are other people like myself who can finish games -0 but when the clock is on get flustered and waste time re referencing the rules when they don't have to. I appreciate you posting on here and pointing out some things I forgot to write (I thought it was implicitly understood to write down rules and make inferences when possible) but I do not appreciate the hostility. Nevertheless I hope people who have read this thread will read it with your contribution.

God Speed

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Good for you for finding a method that works for you. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone, though.

As to the perceived hostility, welcome to the Internet.

Thelonious Kwiggz

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Haha yes I forgot where I was for a second. Reminds me of the Chapelle skit "What if the Internet was a place".

But hey all this is just advice you can do whatever you wanna do.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

bp shinners wrote:I do not like this advice for several reasons.

1) It's ridiculously easy to mess a rule up if you're trying to memorize. Next thing you know, you've spent 3 minutes doing a game thinking that J->S when it was really S->J, or S->J and R when the rule was S->J or R

2) It's ridiculously easy to overlook deductions when you're not referencing the rules at every step. You might struggle to eliminate an AC, when that AC in reality just straight up violates a rule as given, that you forgot.

3) It's not going to be faster. Checking against each rule is the fastest way to make deductions reliably (sure, some people can memorize and rattle off the deductions without looking back; you're (the royal you) probably not one of them).

Will it work for some people? Sure. But it will just mess the overwhelming majority of people up.

I recommend that when making deductions and doing questions (especially conditional questions), you check against the rules as you've written them down constantly.

Agree with this, especially the bolded. If you efficiently diagram rules, it takes almost no time to reference them, just to double check. And, I mean, to be honest, the more games you do period, the better you'll get at "holding the rules in your head" regardless of whether you're doing anything to specifically try to "memorize" the rules. A quick double check prevents you from making mistakes and overlooking things.

Hesitance to constantly reference the rules is one of those things that kind of makes me scratch my head as an instructor. It's an example of one of the "time saving" techniques that people employ that usually ends up costing time and points in the long run. If there were one thing that I wish I could get students to accept on faith, it's that "working smart" is much, much more effective than "working fast."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Thelonious Kwiggz wrote:3. So much hostility on this one, I am saying take the time make deduction and consult what you have written but there are times when people like myself sit there staring at a question glancing back and forward between question and rules without progressing the game.

I assure you, no hostility was intended, so I apologize if it came across that way. Maybe it was the "royal you" comment? What I meant by that was that I was addressing the crowd in general, not you specifically. Not very clear, in retrospect.

Thelonious Kwiggz

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm

It's all good BP Shinners we can attribute the misunderstanding to my novice status on this forum.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Well said

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”