Last RC Passage Tips

Beercules

Last RC Passage Tips

Postby Beercules » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:55 pm

I can usually handle the first three passages of RC pretty easily. I typically get -1 or -0 each of the first three passages. But when it comes to the last one, I bomb it (-3, -4, or worse).

How do you guys handle the complexity and advanced verbiage of the last passage?

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Last RC Passage Tips

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm

By not doing it last. I typically end up doing it second or third, since the added pressure of time makes it harder for me to process whatever passage I do last. I find it easier to handle the middle passages in the last few minutes.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:By not doing it last. I typically end up doing it second or third, since the added pressure of time makes it harder for me to process whatever passage I do last. I find it easier to handle the middle passages in the last few minutes.

This is really interesting.

Trajectory

Postby Trajectory » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 am

Is the last passage more complex/longest? I haven't noticed that if it really is. I always thought that theres usually 1 tough one that could be anywhere, 1st...2nd etc. So I just look for that from the get go! If I found the toughest was always last I would definitely do that 1st or 2nd

zuckercorn

Postby zuckercorn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I never found that the order of the passages related to difficulty. The first passage I had come test day was the hardest passage I had ever done and by far the hardest on that test. I was usually perfect on RC and I missed two on that section alone.

It is probably a psychological problem and, like you mentioned, a timing issue. Why don't you try doing the 4th one second or third on a few PTs and see how that works for you?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

zuckercorn wrote:I never found that the order of the passages related to difficulty.

We've done studies on all the LSATs. While not a perfect trend, the first two passages tend to be higher in difficulty than the latter two.

To OP - I strongly recommend doing the 8-question RC passage first, which is usually the hardest one. In Games, I recommend starting with the easy one to build momentum. In RC, starting with the easy one just tires you out.

If you start with the 8-question passage, you'll be freshest during the passage that's densest - we know it's very dense because there's a lot of things on which they question you. This has two benefits - you'll be fresher (as said before), and when you get that time call at 5 minutes, your only passage left will have 5 questions. Much more manageable than the 8 questions.

stray

Postby stray » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:54 pm

bp shinners wrote:
zuckercorn wrote:I never found that the order of the passages related to difficulty.

We've done studies on all the LSATs. While not a perfect trend, the first two passages tend to be higher in difficulty than the latter two.

To OP - I strongly recommend doing the 8-question RC passage first, which is usually the hardest one. In Games, I recommend starting with the easy one to build momentum. In RC, starting with the easy one just tires you out.

If you start with the 8-question passage, you'll be freshest during the passage that's densest - we know it's very dense because there's a lot of things on which they question you. This has two benefits - you'll be fresher (as said before), and when you get that time call at 5 minutes, your only passage left will have 5 questions. Much more manageable than the 8 questions.

Now THIS is interesting. Especially considering that while I was reading the Manhattan LSAT RC book, it definitely said that the trend (to them at least) is that it goes from easier to harder and thus, you should allocate more time to the latter ones (7 for first two, 10/11 for last two). I guess it might be just that the latter ones include more questions? Just out of curiosity, what do guys think is the trend as far as difficulty of passages in a single section (is there even a trend on RC)?

I'd also like to add how many of you do the passages in a different order than the one laid out. I'm actually very interested in the 8 question passage first approach. I've never even thought of doing that, and I'll definitely have to give it a try.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 am

bp shinners wrote:

This is a great idea. I am definitely going to try doing the 8 question passage first. Thanks!

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:44 am

bp shinners wrote:We've done studies on all the LSATs. While not a perfect trend, the first two passages tend to be higher in difficulty than the latter two.

Did you get these mixed up Shinners? Did you mean to say that the last two are harder?

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:46 am

I'll just go ahead and give my opinion as someone who struggled with RC originally but got it down to between -4 and -6 on recent tests and felt really good about it this Saturday.

It takes me time to warm up on RC more so than other sections. The first section, while containing a tricky question or two, is a great warmup for me. If I jumped to the last passage first, I would get dominated by it and it would likely throw off my section.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Beercules wrote:I can usually handle the first three passages of RC pretty easily. I typically get -1 or -0 each of the first three passages. But when it comes to the last one, I bomb it (-3, -4, or worse).

How do you guys handle the complexity and advanced verbiage of the last passage?

Last passage is not much harder in difficult than the third passage. Sometimes even the second passage almost similar in complexity as the last one.

bp shinners wrote:zuckercorn wrote:
I never found that the order of the passages related to difficulty.

The latter two are harder than the first two. Isn't the order reverse?

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 pm

IDK just be sure to wip out your e-cig halfway in tho that'll help fo sho

daisrt

Postby daisrt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:27 pm

It might also help to save the comparative passages for last as they are shorter and therefore easier to retain focus in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”