Retake Advice (URM w/ 3.8x) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JXander

Silver

Retake Advice (URM w/ 3.8x)

Post by JXander » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 am

Before I took the test in June 2012, I never had a PT score go south of 165. I bombed it then and didn't do too much better in October. I began studying for the tests two years before I took it.

I pretty much freaked both times I took the real thing. I would lose concentration in RC, go too quickly in LR, and I was relatively strong in AR, but could never finish the last/hardest game. I've gone through so many practice tests, you wouldn't believe me. I used Powerscore and very little of Manhattan a few weeks before.

I have been WLed at UVA and Texas. I have incredible softs (PM for details) and think that if I bumped my score up 6 more points, I could get into TX (dream school) with $$. I would love UChicago or Cornell too, but I see those as long shots even with a 160. So here are my questions:

1. Is it worth a retake? Most people tell me "absolutely," but I am worried about my score dropping.
2. If I do perform better, will UT and UVA take the new score into consideration? Some have been telling me they will not. How can I confirm this? Do you recommend I shoot them an email?
2. a. If I am admitted to UVA or UT before taking the test and end up performing better, is there a possibility of them increasing an initial scholarship offer?
3. What can I do to perform better? I've looked through some of the additional resources on this thread and I definitely plan to take advantage of those. However, is there anyone who understands where I am coming from and might have some helpful...er..."psychological" tips on beating the test?

I really appreciate the help, friends.

Also, it is not my intention to wait until the next cycle to re-apply. If you want to encourage me to do so, we can definitely discuss this via PM.

TheZoid

Bronze

Re: Retake Advice (URM w/ 3.8x)

Post by TheZoid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 am

Yes it is worth a retake- it doesn't matter if your score drops. Yes they will take the new score into consideration. The only thing they care about is what they report to U.S. News. Yes there is a possibility of them increasing the scholarship offer if you score better after being admitted. There are a lot of resources on this site about improving your score, but it sounds like you just need to find a way to relax on test day.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 am

What are you talking about? The cycle is over. Don't people have to send in their deposits the 1st of April or something?
I am sure everyone following will tell you to retake or wait until next cycle, but if you are set on this cycle, I would relax and enjoy until September.
Congrats on UVA

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 am

alex.feuerman wrote:What are you talking about? The cycle is over. Don't people have to send in their deposits the 1st of April or something?
I am sure everyone following will tell you to retake or wait until next cycle, but if you are set on this cycle, I would relax and enjoy until September.
Thoughts on re-taking for a bigger scholly offer or to get off the WL?

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:45 am

1) In my opinion the main thing to consider is whether or not you would be happy with accepting any of the offers you currently have. If you don't want to go to any of the schools you were accepted to or if you didn't like any of the offers they gave you, then I would say retake. I've taken the LSAT twice as well and studied for months. In my experience, my PT scores were always a little higher than my actual scores. There seems to be more variance with your scores than mine though. I don’t really see any problem with retaking the test though. If you would be happy going to a school that has already accepted you, then if your score goes down or if it doesn’t increase enough to get into UVA or UT, it doesn’t really matter it would just be a waste of time and the money spent on the test. But if you don’t want to go to any of the schools that accepted you, maybe you wait to take the LSAT so you have more time to study (even though you’ve already studied a lot). If your score went down that would look bad when applying next year but you wouldn’t really have a choice about taking the LSAT again if you didn’t want to go to the schools that accepted you.
2) I would send the schools an e-mail asking if they consider the highest LSAT score. Perhaps even send a LOCI and ask in the e-mail attaching the letter about the LSAT scores. To me, that would show that you’re committed to doing whatever you can to increase your chance of being accepted.
3) It is possible that if the schools accept you and your score is higher that they could give your scholarship money. However, they might not have that much money to give by that time. But if you kill the LSAT and get a really high score I'm sure they would find some way to give you a scholarship if they really wanted you.
4) LSAT tips: I think you're letting the test get to you. When I first took the LSAT I had to do well or I wasn't going to law school that year. It wasn't the test as much as my own mental block of if I don't do well my life is over. And I did horrible. When I retook the test though I did much better and ended up getting into the schools I wanted with some scholarship money. I took a Kaplan class, which I know many people on here hate, but it really did help me a lot and increased my score by 12 points. I brought some LGs with me the day of the test to warm up and it kept me from worrying while I was waiting. Really, I just knew that I was prepared for the test and I did have other options. With you already being accepted to law schools, maybe it will take the pressure off when you take it again.

Hope it helps some! Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

I sympathize with you. Im good with all tests except the lsat. Im off my game on lsat day Too much adrenaline. I scored about 8 points off my average pt. Best of luck

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Bumping this again.

I am leaning more and more to retaking this June. Do I need to let a school that has WL'ed me know that I am retaking when I make that decision?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm

JXander wrote:Bumping this again.

I am leaning more and more to retaking this June. Do I need to let a school that has WL'ed me know that I am retaking when I make that decision?
Re-take. And no, you don't have to let them know.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote: And no, you don't have to let them know.
Thanks. And would this apply to applications to schools from which I have not heard anything yet (e.g., Uchicago)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm

retake

Thelonious Kwiggz

New

Post by Thelonious Kwiggz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:02 am

Re take get above 165+ and enjoy T-10

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:04 am

JXander wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote: And no, you don't have to let them know.
Thanks. And would this apply to applications to schools from which I have not heard anything yet (e.g., Uchicago)?
You don't have to let anyone know anything :D

But please re-take.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 am

I wouldn't attend anywhere but the T-14 (maybe UT) with your GPA. I have a similar GPA as you and am a minority. Many of those schools that have admitted you could be life ruining. I want to be a lawyer real bad as well, but I am not going to ruin my life. If you cannot get into UT at least, I would take that GPA to Harvard or Stanford's MBA program. You worked too hard for that GPA to have it all come crashing down because of the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I wouldn't attend anywhere but the T-14 (maybe UT) with your GPA. I have a similar GPA as you and am a minority. Many of those schools that have admitted you could be life ruining.
Hmm. Like which ones? I have withdrawn from every school ranked below Baylor.
You worked too hard for that GPA to have it all come crashing down because of the LSAT.
Tell me about it.

Thelonious Kwiggz

New

Post by Thelonious Kwiggz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

Re take in October, you have an amazing GPA and HYS is a true possibility if you ascend 168. If in October you end up making only a marginally higher score then just attend Emory, WUSTL(or UT if the acceptance comes your way). I do not know if deferring is legally binding but if not I would suggest deferring at WUSTL or Emory. Forget any of the other schools in Texas besides UT, I have friends at Baylor and SMU and they are having a hard time with placement after OCI and are worried about job prospects (I am sure they will get jobs, but worrying is not fun). The Texas legal market is thriving ATM but I would not waste your GPA at Baylor, SMU or UH.

It is imperative that you look at picking a law school the same way you would look at picking a spose.
Sure you could just pick anyone but you better be sure about your decision because their name will be bound to yours for the rest of your life.

Wait it out and defer at Emory, WUSTL and UT if you get in(Really hope that works out for you). Study again take a gap year and attend CCN or HYS.

What has benefited me greatly on day of testing is meditation before and in between sections. Get in the habit of it now and it can greatly reduce stress game day.

A lot of the time people rush their decision and try to go to law school as quick as possible, but law school is about going to the best school you can go to. If it takes a little more time thats ok, 140k straight out of school is a lot better than 80k and worry for three years if you will get a job.

I wish you the best man

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone.

My plan at the moment is to take a PT within the next week. If I hit anything above a 159, then I will plan on studying hard (using the guidelines on TLS) for the next three months. I have to be careful because I work full-time at a law firm and I can't afford to dedicate the very little spare time I have on something that might result in a repeat of last year.

I appreciate the encouraging PMs I have been receiving with all the tricks and tips. Good luck to you all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”