Take LSAT four times? Help me Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Should I retake for a fourth time?

Yes, because there is no risk
33%
Yes, because there is some risk but the reward clearly outweighs the risk
60%
No, because the risk outweighs the reward
7%

Total votes: 15

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Take LSAT four times? Help me

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:33 pm

My ultimate question is should I retake a third time (for sum of four LSATs), and if the risk/reward of doing so is favorable. My story: I have taken the LSAT three times with the highest score being a 169 from 2011. Because it will have been 2 years since my first LSAT, I will be permitted another retake. I have a ~3.95 GPA. I have a job that pays fairly well now and is "prestigious" but my plan is to be a lawyer and head to law school in a few years. My goal is either ED at Northwestern or Stanford. This is because I am extremely debt averse, but am willing to take on extraordinary debt if it is any of HYS. (Of course I know that with my current stats I have almost 0 percent chance at H+Y and thus I'm targeting S). Biglaw doesn't interest me outside of net money and as a signal to future litigation employers, and I am not interested at all in doing it to pay off law debt. In other words, ED to Columbia/UChi could happen for my numbers if the legal education market continues to tank, but that doesn't interest me b/c I do not want to be a biglawyer just to make student loan payments. If I had a choice on employment, I would do fed clerkship after graduation, maybe move to lit in biglaw for 3-4 years and then move to civil lit. My ultimate goal is to sue the government with a PI think tank/law firm and my current resume and network is strongly matched for this, so biglaw lit isn't necessary at the end of the day as a prereq for the job, if you will. Furthermore, b/c a lack of school prestige does not always limit entry into such civil lit jobs in this tiny area -- like DAs these few law firms care more about your demonstrated long-term interest in the cause rather than USNWR ranking -- I am willing to go to lower t14 with serious cash. But of course as a general rule, more prestige always helps, no matter the job.

My fundamental concern is getting below 169 and have adcomms view my 169 less favorably, resulting in worse admission decisions/scholly opportunities. However, my ceiling on the LSAT is about 173-175 on my best outings. I averaged a 172-173 heading into the 169.

Are there any cons to retaking? Should I retake? What if I don't do as well? Help.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Take LSAT four times? Help me

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:36 pm

how bad were your first two LSATs?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 pm

cancel 166
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Take it
Get 170+
Profit $$

Your GPA is too good to waste on a number that wasn't even your PT average.

They don't care about 4x unless its YSH.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 pm

rebexness wrote:Take it
Get 170+
Profit $$

Your GPA is too good to waste on a number that wasn't even your PT average.

They don't care about 4x unless its YSH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Does LSAT score really mean that much?

I am thinking of reapplying next cycle
they told me if I get ten points higher or even 5 it will get me substantial scholarships at the schools I got waitlisted at currently

this is with really nothing changing except me getting work/ maybe volunteer experience

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 am

bump for other advice

zuckercorn

New

Post by zuckercorn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 pm

You should most likely retake if you are set on law school. That GPA is exactly what HYS wants.

However, I have two questions: how much did you prep for each previous test and how much time can you currently put into prepping for the June or October test?

If you already prepped substantially and you don't have a lot of time it's not very likely you will be able to improve that much (outside of the test being extra familiar to you).

That being said 175+ = profit

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm

zuckercorn wrote:
However, I have two questions: how much did you prep for each previous test and how much time can you currently put into prepping for the June or October test?
In grand total I prepped 12 months, with the significant bulk of it coming in the first six of those 12.

I can put in about 10-15 hours/wk for June or October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zuckercorn

New

Post by zuckercorn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm

If you are confident that you will put in that work and that it will result in at least a 173 I think it's the right thing to do if you want to go to law school.

I would not advise going on that 169 because the rewards for an additional 4 or 5 points is just too high to not risk it. Worst case scenario you don't crack 170 again and you reevaluate. Considering you are already working at a good job the absolute worst case scenario is that you keep working at that job and wasted three to seven months studying. Considering how many law school graduates end up unemployed you are already a lot better off than most people.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

bump for pending June LSAT deadline

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:23 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:bump for pending June LSAT deadline
How many times do you need to hear RETAKE?

June is my 4th take, also.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”