Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Macalpinerules
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby Macalpinerules » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey guys, in a previous post here I mentioned how in my prep i was using the PS bibles because I received them for free from a friend who previously took the exam. I'm conflicted about whether or not I should invest in other manuals. The fact is that every dollar I can hold on to is a plus because my financial situation is not that great. So, all you guys out there who have experience with multiple instructionals, do you believe the PS bibles (especially logical reasoning) can provide me with everything I need to do very well on this test? Have any of you out there who used PS material exclusively managed to score 173 or above?

Just doing research, it seems like people are really high on the manhattan prep material. I just don't want to fork up the cash if PS can be sufficient to teach me the tools
I need to score high.

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby eyfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 am

Try what you have first, if it doesn't get you what you want - get something else. They say manhattan RC is pretty good.

I got 172 using only 2 PS bibles and prep tests, manhattan RC might have improved the score even more (as RC was my weakest part).

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 am

Macalpinerules wrote:Hey guys, in a previous post here I mentioned how in my prep i was using the PS bibles because I received them for free from a friend who previously took the exam. I'm conflicted about whether or not I should invest in other manuals. The fact is that every dollar I can hold on to is a plus because my financial situation is not that great. So, all you guys out there who have experience with multiple instructionals, do you believe the PS bibles (especially logical reasoning) can provide me with everything I need to do very well on this test? Have any of you out there who used PS material exclusively managed to score 173 or above?

Just doing research, it seems like people are really high on the manhattan prep material. I just don't want to fork up the cash if PS can be sufficient to teach me the tools
I need to score high.


if you're super cheap, there might be illegal versions out there on the interwebs (not that I condone this)

User avatar
marlborofillet
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby marlborofillet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

Macalpinerules wrote:Hey guys, in a previous post here I mentioned how in my prep i was using the PS bibles because I received them for free from a friend who previously took the exam. I'm conflicted about whether or not I should invest in other manuals. The fact is that every dollar I can hold on to is a plus because my financial situation is not that great. So, all you guys out there who have experience with multiple instructionals, do you believe the PS bibles (especially logical reasoning) can provide me with everything I need to do very well on this test? Have any of you out there who used PS material exclusively managed to score 173 or above?

Just doing research, it seems like people are really high on the manhattan prep material. I just don't want to fork up the cash if PS can be sufficient to teach me the tools
I need to score high.


1) It's entirely possible to get a 173 relying on PS bibles and past LSATs.

2) Recognize an extra $500 spent on prep can mean huge savings on COA. I'm all about living frugally, but keep it in perspective.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 am

I read that this one guy just went to his local barnes & noble and studied the manhattan guides there.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 am

You can also enter our current contest to win a copy of our new LG book - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204746&start=75

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby Birdnals » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 am

bp shinners wrote:You can also enter our current contest to win a copy of our new LG book - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204746&start=75


Along with this, take advantage of the various free resources like BP's LSAT blog. http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/

It is good for killing time and still honing some skills.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Money is tight. Must choose guides wisely.

Postby sabanist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am

You can download ebook versions of Manhattan for $9 each from their website.
As someone who couldn't consistently break 173 with PS alone, the Manhattan guides were worth their weight in gold to me. PS LR is fantastic for formal logic, but Manhattan LR was better for me in every other way.

marlborofillet wrote:2) Recognize an extra $500 spent on prep can mean huge savings on COA. I'm all about living frugally, but keep it in perspective.

If you feel guilty about spending the money on it, think of this. A couple of LSAT points will pay dividends for the rest of your life.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests