More RC Advice

Thelonious Kwiggz

More RC Advice

Postby Thelonious Kwiggz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 am

I posted on here about a month ago giving some advice concerning RC and how to get a perfect score on RC section. In that post I forgot to mention how disruptive static thought can be when approaching RC. I believe RC is difficult for many because we have a difficult time suspending static thought while reading. What I mean by static thought is subtly worry about the questions or worrying about your score while reading the piece, basically any thought that does not have to do with understanding the passage. This form of thought might not show up in the form of words or images but it can still be present while your reading, not allowing you to fully digest the material.

I suggest meditating before each section while you practice. It takes just a minute of closing your eyes, breathing in through your noes and out through your mouth, slowly and rhythmically. Focus solely on your breathing pattern and the sensations in your body(starting at the feet and moving up is always fun). Soon you will notice that there is less latent static thought in your head and your ability to engage the piece is enhanced.

The reason why RC is more affected by static thought than LR or LG is because of the passages length and the delay between answering questions and understanding the passage. Since you are always doing something in LR and LG it captures your full attention and the reward is almost realized instantly. RC depends on your annotations and ability to engage the passage, but it is difficult to engage the passage fully with static thought.

Meditation has many transformative properties and should be utilized in other venues besides the LSAT but here is a way in can directly benefit your studying for RC.

Hope This Helps

Sincerely

Thelonious
Last edited by Thelonious Kwiggz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatkid007

Re: More RC Advice

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Thelonious Kwiggz wrote:I posted on here about a month ago giving some advice concerning RC and how to get a perfect score on RC section. In that post I forgot to mention how disruptive static thought can be when approaching RC. I believe RC is difficult for many because we have a difficult time suspending static thought while reading. What I mean by static thought is subtly worry about the questions or worrying about your score while reading the piece, basically any thought that does not have to do with understanding the passage. This form of thought might not show up in the form of words or images but it can still be present while your reading, not allowing you to fully digest the material.

I suggest mediating before each section while you practice. It takes just a minute of closing your eyes, breathing in through your noes and out through your mouth, slowly and rhythmically. Focus solely on your breathing pattern and the sensations in your body(starting at the feet and moving up is always fun). Soon you will notice that there is less latent static thought in your head and your ability to engage the piece is enhanced.

The reason why RC is more affected by static thought than LR or LG is because of the passages length and the delay between answering questions and understanding the passage. Since you are always doing something in LR and LG it captures your full attention and the reward is almost realized instantly. RC depends on your annotations and ability to engage the passage, but it is difficult to engage the passage fully with static thought.

Mediation has many transformative properties and should be utilized in other venues besides the LSAT but here is a way in can directly benefit your studying for RC.

Hope This Helps

Sincerely

Thelonious

Agree

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”