Need some advice on when to take the LSAT

chadsdaniel

Need some advice on when to take the LSAT

Postby chadsdaniel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Here is some background. I just took the June 07 preptest cold. No preparation and no idea what would be on the test because I had just made the decision to attend law school. I scored a 156. I missed 6 in S1(5 were due to time, but I answered them anyway after time was called to see if I could get them right and I did), 6 in S2(1 due to time), 7 in S3, and 10 in S4. By the end of the test, I know I was not trying very hard because I was just worn out. Not to press the point further, but I missed 4 of the last six questions! When I reviewed my test the next day, I could not even figure out why I choose some of the answers! So for starters I need to increase my testing endurance and speed up my logic games. I am sure that alone would net me 162ish. At first I was thinking I would be happy with just a 160+ or so, but after doing research and finding this site, I began to think I want to shoot for much higher.

Initially I was planning on taking the test in June, but if I really want to shoot for a 175+, I am thinking I should wait until October. My first three years of collage I was not very focused and so I will not end up with as high of a GPA as I would have liked. I estimate it will be in the 3.55 range, so I think I really need to score really well on the LSAT to have a shot at a top law school.

So bottom line, based on this limited information you have of me, so you think it would be reasonable to to hit a 175+ with three months of study time, or is it way preferable to take the extra four months and take it in October? Will waiting until October hurt my chances of being accepted for fall 2014?

As an aside, I am so glad I found this site, there is a ton of information to help coordinate my study time and on which books to buy. So a general thank you to the community!

Chad

Jeffort

Re: Need some advice on when to take the LSAT

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 am

The simple answer, that you probably won't like because it is indeterminate, is take the LSAT when you are adequately prepared to perform the best you possibly can and only then.

Peoples mileage various in terms of amount of study/prep time put in compared to achieved scores, there is no one size fits all formula to convert prep time to likely final score or score improvement.

Just start seriously preparing now and track your progress and improvement over the next three+ months to see what scoring range you can build yourself up to before the June test. Three or so months of good quality study and preparation is adequate for most people to max out their score range, but not for all, and not for people that don't really prepare properly. Quantity does not equal quality when it comes to LSAT prep. Of course quantity is important, but it is not sufficient to achieve your best score.

If you are not able to consistently achieve acceptable scores on timed practice tests shortly before the June test, reschedule taking it to the October administration and use the extra time to further refine your study and application of prep efforts to hopefully figure out how to fix your weak points and further improve your score.

Aiming for June is good so that if you are applying in the upcoming cycle for Fall 2014 admission you also have the October administration available if something doesn't work out for June, still have your applications in early and be eligible for early decision/early admittance.

So basically, aim for June and get cracking on it hardcore starting NOW! If you aren't ready to pull out your goal score by then, keep chugging away at it until October. GL :)

PS: Starting at 156 taking a totally cold virgin run timed practice test bodes well for you in terms of it how hard it will be for you to learn the test to significantly improve into the highly ranked score ranges since it shows you already have a decent grasp of the types of logic the LSAT tests.

With good dedicated and smart preparation and practice, there is no reason you should not be able to get at least close to 170 or even above. If you started in the mid to low 140s range or lower, you would have to work a lot harder against lower odds of it happening to end up in the high 160s - 170s range.

No pressure or anything, but if you score 165 or lower in June or October, you fck'd up big time and did something terribly wrong!

chadsdaniel

Postby chadsdaniel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 am

Thank you for the input! I looked at the schedule, and based on your advice I should go ahead and register for the June test. Since the deadline to change dates is May 19th, if by then I am not scoring 170+ on the preptest, I should consider pushing the test until October. Does that sound about right?

Also I have already ordered the PS LG and LR bibles as well as some more prep tests. I should be getting the bibles in today and the preptests by Friday.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

chadsdaniel wrote:Thank you for the input! I looked at the schedule, and based on your advice I should go ahead and register for the June test. Since the deadline to change dates is May 19th, if by then I am not scoring 170+ on the preptest, I should consider pushing the test until October. Does that sound about right?

Also I have already ordered the PS LG and LR bibles as well as some more prep tests. I should be getting the bibles in today and the preptests by Friday.

Sounds about right! Also, in case you want to push it all the way to the week leading up to the test to see what range you are able to score in during the last week before the test rather than deciding by May 19th, you can withdraw your LSAT registration up to midnight the night before the test and nothing shows up on your score report, so schools never know and it does not count against the three times rule, but you do forfeit the registration fee and have to pay the whole thing again to register for October.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”