Kaplan Strategies for LR/RC: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Kaplan Strategies for LR/RC: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Postby tuffyjohnson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I just read Kaplan's 2011 Strategies, Practice and Review. A couple interesting things about the Kaplan method. First, for Reading Comprehension and Logic Reasoning they suggest predicting or paraphrasing the answer before reading the possible answer choices. What are your thoughts on this? Is this potentially to time consuming or worth the effort?

For LR (book never says this for RC that I can see), author also suggests that test takers should read the question stem first and then go to the stimulous. I actually like this method for LR. I'm curious of opinions on these strategies.

Re: Kaplan Strategies for LR/RC: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:32 am

Eh, to each his own and everyone has methods that work for them. I think their RC system is absurdly inefficient. I personally prefer extremely minimal notation, often zero. I also don't do well reading the stem before the stimulus, although I have many students that do... I personally find it gives me tunnel vision, I'm looking for an assumption or a flaw, when if I had read it like any paragraph I'd be interested in, those things would usually jump out at me more readily.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”